Subject: need to know the books on firewall

From: "Huang Guangbin, Dr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 09:02:29 +0800

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi, I would like to find one or two books which systematically introduce the
technology on firewall, or network security and also include good samples
and source codes. I appreciate if someone could give me hints.

huang

	----------
	From:  Ted Keller [SMTP:[email-masked]]
	Sent:  Friday, January 14, 2000 8:50 AM
	To:  Jennifer Tippens
	Cc:  [email-masked]
	Subject:  Re: RTSP, Realaudio, and fwtk help

	[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe
fwtk-users" in the
	BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

	Jennifer,

	The rstpd reference proxy is just that - a reference proxy.  It does
not
	have the support required for enable/disable connections.  It
permits all
	connections - both inbound and outbound. - not good.

	Modifing this code is a bit tricky - unless you are really good....

	To get around this, I  "socksified" it - and ran it on an internal
server
	- using a socks5 gateway with the connection rules defined.  you may
want
	to consider a similar approach.

	Note - socks5 is important since the proxy opens udp connections for
the
	content transfer.

	ted keller

	On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Jennifer Tippens wrote:

	> [To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe
fwtk-users" in the
	> BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]
	> 
	> Hello,
	> We are using the fwtk and I was asked to find a RealAudio proxy
for our system.
	> I downloaded the Real Time Streaming Protocol Proxy reference
implimentation.  I
	> compiled and "installed" it.  That worked fine, but now how do I
configure it for
	> use?  I gave it my (several times) best guess and this is what I
came up with
	> (which doesn't work)
	> 
	> Added in netperm-table:
	> rtsp: permit-hosts 192.168.1.* -exec /usr/local/sbin/rtspd
	> 
	> Added in /etc/services:
	> rtsp:    554/tcp
	> 
	> Added in inetd.conf:
	> rtsp    stream    tcp    nowait    root    /usr/local/sbin/rtspd
rtsp
	> 
	> I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it-- I have looked
everywhere for
	> some (anything) information, contacted RealAudio, got on the
	> comp.security.firewalls newsgroup, read a book and I have gotten
nowhere and
	> found nothing except a vague reference on the patches and add-ons
page for fwtk
	> that says to download the rtspd proxy kit.  Am I even close?
Please help.
	> Thank you,
	> Jennifer

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 19:32:05 -0500

> and source codes. I appreciate if someone could give me hints.

The classics are Firewall and Internet Security, Cheswick & Bellovin,
Addison-Wesley; and Building Internet Firewalls, Chapman & Zwicky,
O'Reilly & Associates.  There is a new version out of the former;
somehow I had had the impression that there would be a new version out
of the latter.

No source code.  The FWTK is source code, but abominably documented,
because it was intended for use by people who already knew what they
were doing.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.