Subject: ftp

From: "Jan Korbel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:04:28 +0100

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

hi.
on our frw running rh6.x with fwtk 2.1 and i need this ftp connect:
inet --> frw(some port as 1999) --> ftp server in our subnet without any
proxy commands...

how can i make it? :)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  Jan Korbel alias JackC
     [email-masked]
    ICQ UIN: 23487453
  IRCNet: JackC on #cvut
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

---

From: Michel Bardiaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:03:35 +0100

> inet --> frw(some port as 1999) --> ftp server in our subnet without any

1. You can't. Because FTP uses dynamically established connections for
data,
   one needs a proxy that understands the FTP protocol.
2. You shouldn't. If "our subnet" means your *internal* network,
*nothing*
   from the Internet should be allowed in. Any server should be in the
DMZ,
   or, if you don't have the hardware for a DMZ, on the FW itself. The
only
   thing that can be allowed through a FW is encrypted and authenticated
   'tunnel' traffic, like SSH.

BTW anyone on the list using SSH through a firewall? We installed it
quite some
time ago, and at that time there was *no* FTP support in it. I am also
looking
for an NT version of the SSH client - *not* a GUI tool like the one from
F-Secure,
a real port of the command-line SSH, based on the original UNIX sources.
Any
suggestions welcome with thanks (by private E-mail if you think this is
off-topic).

-- 
Michel Bardiaux
UsrConsult S.P.R.L.  Rue Margot, 37  B-1457 Nil St Vincent
Tel : +32 10 65.44.15  Fax : +32 10 65.44.10