Subject: AIM

From: Ron Keith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 07:17:35 -0800

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Does anyone know of some good scanning tools for linux ... I keep getting
compromised by hackers

also, is there a ipchain way or another of stopping aol instant messenger

thanks folks in advance ...

Ron Keith   :-)
Director of Information Technology
Western State University School of Law
(714) 738-1000 Ext 2953

"Linux, the last service pack you'll ever need."

---

From: Tim Sailer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 10:45:05 -0500

> Does anyone know of some good scanning tools for linux ... I keep getting

Nessus springs to mind.

> also, is there a ipchain way or another of stopping aol instant messenger

You can block the 2 most common AOL ports. One is 9898, and I can't think of
the other one offhand.

Tim

-- 
 (work) [email-masked] / (home) [email-masked] - http://www.buoy.com/~tps
               Organization is the enemy of improvisation.
** Disclaimer: My views/comments/beliefs, as strange as they are, are my own.**

---

From: "Larry Jackson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:21:11 -0500

You might want to switch to OpenBSD, since Linux is not secure.

Its free like Linux, but is the most secure unix available.
All the source code has been scanned for securty holes
and fixed.  They call it a proactively secure OS.

AND/OR

If you are not doing so, you should setup a stand-alone firewall machine.
An old 486 will do, mine has an 80MB hd with 2 ethernet boards.
Install your unix, delete all non-essential executables and daemons.
Setup ip-filtering to allow connections only on ports you have proxies on.
Install and configure FWTK proxies on the ports you need.

This will make it much harder to be hacked.

---

From: dreamwvr <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 09:36:56 -0700

hi ,
  nmap is the most omnipotent scanning tool IMHO and is a baseline the others
follow pretty much..
                                                     Best Regards,
                                                     [email-masked]
-- 
_______________________________________________________________________

************** DREAMWVR.COM - TOTAL INTERNET SERVICES ****************
TOTAL DESIGN - DEVELOPMENT - INTEGRATION - SECURITY - Click Here..
<http://www.dreamwvr.com/services/MAX_SEC.html>
DREAMWVR.COM - The Console of Many... 90 Topics Covered
<http://www.dreamwvr.com/dynamicduo.html> <mailto:[email-masked]>
->> LINUX-MANDRAKE Solution Provider and North American Distributor <<-
PRODUCT OF THE YEAR!
<http://www.dreamwvr.com/mandrake/mandrake-main.html>
"===0 PGP Key Available 
*************** "As Unique as the Company You Keep." *****************
"If anyone speaks from DREAMWVR.COM its certainly not me:-)"
________________________________________________________________________