Subject: redirected urls with http-gw

From: Mark C Farone <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:08:56 -0500

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

What would cause this url:
http://eshopflorida.com/MALL/Catalog/Store/asp/url/http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2E 
aaadiscountsports%2Ecom/name/AAA+Discount+Sports%2Ecom/mall_id/1000010 
557/s_id/1000011398.html

to be return this error:
Error- 404
Requested Information
/
is unavailable. Failed to connect to server
www (80)
reason: hostname unknown

I looked at the rfc1738 on URL names and this URL seems to follow the 
standards by 'percent encoding' the unsafe characters.

The URL will resolve as expected if I don't get the page via http-gw (2.1).

Thanks for any ideas,
Mark
--
Mark C. Farone <[email-masked]>   In the future,
Systems Analyst, Gainesville Sun        everything will work.

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:33:14 -0500

>aaadiscountsports%2Ecom/name/AAA+Discount+Sports%2Ecom/mall_id/1000010 
This looks like a prefixed URL to http-gw. (i.e. 
http://firewall/http://whitehouse.gov form). That's probably confusing the 
http-gw. Use the real form (drop the eshopflorida) and it'll probably work OK.
         -Rick

---

From: Mark C Farone <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:48:58 -0500

At 5:33 PM -0500 1/20/00, Rick Murphy wrote:
>http://firewall/http://whitehouse.gov form). That's probably 
>confusing the http-gw. Use the real form (drop the eshopflorida) and 
>it'll probably work OK.
>         -Rick

Thanks for the note, Rick.

That's what I thought, too but I'm not so sure anymore--it is as if 
the %-encoding isn't being interpreted properly.

Using the original URL through http-gw it gets interpreted as 'www' 
which of course isn't resolvable by the proxy server.

If I omit the first url 
('http://eshopflorida.com/MALL/Catalog/Store/asp/url/') and by-hand 
change the %-encoded characters, the URL resolves properly through 
http-gw.

If I omit the first url and leave the %-encoded characters, and send 
it through http-gw, things get completely fouled up--it ends up being 
sent to netscape as a search query string through Navigator, and IE 
breaks it by prepending http://www to the url.

Thanks,
Mark