Subject: DMZ problem!

From: liujianwei <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 10:58:4 +0800

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi, dear fwtk users:

Happy new millenium to you!!

I want to discuss the DMZ problems with you. If you have free time ( I know you are on holliday), please give me a reply as soon as possible. Thank you very much.

The problems are:

1. Can FWTK supports DMZ function?
2. If yes, how can I setup the 3rd NIC for the firewall?
3. Must the 3rd-NIC IP address be a static Internet IP address?
4. How can a internet user route to the DMZ?

Thank you for your help.

            Liu Jianwei
            [email-masked]

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 22:46:24 -0500 (EST)

Liu,

Happy New Millenium to you also.

Yes, the fwtk can support a dmz.

Install your third nic card and define it to your Operating System per
your OS normal processes.  This may require installing a drivers....
Consult your local OS for details.

Once installed, define an address to this card.  It can be private address
space - so long as you don't have the same private address space on your
internal network.  Again, this may be somewhat OS dependent.  Minimally,
you will have to define it in your /etc/hosts table - and tie it to your
third interface.

Reboot your equipment - and verify that you can ping the interface.
Routing to local machines on this interface should be automatic.  Verify
that you can ping them also.

Set up your netperm-table to allow the appropriate connections.  Note,
external connections to the DMZ will use your external IP address.
Likewise, internal connections to your DNZ will use your internal IP
address.  The DNZ machines will see the DNZ address of your firewall.

That should about do it!

ted keller

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 11:41:41 -0500

> Happy new millenium to you!!

Thank you.  Next year, when the new Millennium starts, I hope to have
one.  ;-)

> 1. Can FWTK supports DMZ function?

Of course.

> 2. If yes, how can I setup the 3rd NIC for the firewall?

Same way as the others.

> 3. Must the 3rd-NIC IP address be a static Internet IP address?

Can you describe to me how to do it otherwise?  However, it may be a
private internet address (RFC 1918).

> 4. How can a internet user route to the DMZ?

Can't, if FWTK is properly set up.  Uses a proxy.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.