Subject: Using smap with tcpserver.

From: "C. Bensend" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 23:49:40 -0600

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hello,

    I appologize if this has already been asked a billion times, but
I did
not find an archive of this mailing list.  Please feel free to break
out the
LARTs and point me to an archive.  :)

    I've been using smap on my border for quite some time, and it
works
beautifully.  The only real problem is inetd - recently, several
Microsoft
"bulk mail servers" have wreaked havoc with inetd, repeatedly trying
to
open connections to my border and finally forcing inetd to disable
smap.
Bloody broken servers, anyway...

    I'd like to use tcpserver to spawn smap, as it gives me more
options
and more robustness compared to inetd.  However, whenever I try to
use tcpserver, I get log entries similar to:  "fwtk: binding to port
25 failed -
port already in use".  I'm sorry I don't have the exact message,
this has
been a few weeks since I last tried.

    Have any of you encountered this problem, and if so, how have
you
solved it?  Conditions when I tested:

Linux 2.0.36 kernel
Inetd entry for smap disabled, and inetd HUPped.
Started tcpserver with:
   /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -c30 -g12 -u8 0 smtp
/usr/local/sbin/smap -daemon -port 25 &

Any suggestions/advice/LARTing greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  :)

Benny

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 06:49:27 -0500

>LARTs and point me to an archive.  :)

<ftp://ftp.tis.com/pub/firewalls/toolkit/fwtk-users-archive>

>/usr/local/sbin/smap -daemon -port 25 &

If you're front-ending smap with tcpserver, don't use '-daemon'. That 
causes the copy of smap to try to bind the smtp port, but tcpserver already 
has it bound.
         -Rick

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:02:24 -0500 (EST)

Benny,

The 2.1 version does support daemon operation.  May be an alternative.

ted keller