Subject: http-gw giving Network error: net_flags[4] set (read)

From: "Lidgate, Chris A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:53:48 -0600

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi,

I'm running fwtk 2.1 on a linux box (kernel 2.0.35 rings a bell). 
Our machine gets ~ 400,000 http-gw invocations per day, and http-gw
runs in daemon mode. http-gw sits between our squid server and
the internet, so the only machine to 'hit' http-gw is the squid-server.

I've been checking the fwtk syslog file and notice 800 - 2000 daily
entries which read:

	http-gw[xxxx]: Network error: net_flags[4] set (read)

I also see (fewer) entries:

	http-gw[xxxx]: Network error: net_flags[4] set (write)

messages.

I've looked at gio.c, but don't understand enough about network io
to figure out what is happening. Would somebody be able to shed
some light on this for me ?

Chris Lidgate

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:12:33 -0500

>         http-gw[xxxx]: Network error: net_flags[4] set (read)

That means that some routine in the http-gw tried to read from a socket 
that had already been closed. (Similar to the '(write)' error, except that 
those were attempted writes). They're harmless. (But they do indicate a bug 
somewhere - an error occurred but http-gw didn't remember that it no longer 
had a connection.)
         -Rick