Subject: sendmail problem

From: Ratkai Peter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 18:23:26 +0100 (CET)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi,

First I wish u a happy new Millenium!

I have some problem w sendmail on an fwtk box. Mails are recieved and can
be sent. Only forwarding local mail to internal mailserver does not
work well. Split DNS is up, bastion queries internal mailserver, so it
sees the internal mx as well. mailertable is set up like this:

domain.hu     esmtp:[mail.domain.hu]
mail.domain.hu esmtp:[mail.domain.hu] 

gw:/usr/local/etc# mx domain.hu
domain.hu       MX      0 mail.domain.hu 

nslookup mail.domain.hu

Name:    mail.domain.hu
Address:  192.168.6.100  

So it`s the internal mailserver`s address.

The problem is, that a mail comes from the internet, smapd triggers
sendmail, and sendmail believes, that [email-masked] is a local user, it
wants to perform local delivery, but of course there`s no such user, and
it bounces back with DSN: User Unknown. But sendmail should relay this
message to the internal mailserver. How could I tell sendmail, to forward
these mails to the internal mailhub? I thought mailertable is for that
usage...

There may be one thing that I~m doing wrong, the makemap. I don~t know
exactly the syntax of the command, to make the mailertable.db. Can someone
make me clear, please? Or is there any other configuration
misunderstanding? This is a Debian 2.1 box, with  sendmail 8.9.3-1, fwtk
2.1. 

TIA,
Regards,  

--RP.

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 13:44:03 -0500 (EST)

Peter,

makemap command....

makemap hash mailertable.db < mailertable

Note - this assumes you have built sendmail with the berkeley db routines
- and that you have included mailertable support in your sendmail
configuration file.

ted keller

---

From: Ratkai Peter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 20:06:27 +0100 (CET)

HI,

Thanks for your help, i`ve found, that the sendmail.cw file must be emty,
in order to forward the messages to internal mailserver. I think it says
sandmail what domains are considered local, and becouse sendmail cannot
find itself here, it finally looks in the dns, and finds the internal mx.
Great!

--RP.