Subject: problem with http-gw and ftp-proxy

From: "José M. Fandiño" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 13:32:59 +0100

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

H.,

I'm trying setup the ftp-proxy characteristics in http-gw.

The FAQ say:

You should add a "ftp-proxy" line in your netperm-table. What "ftp-proxy
foo" should do is to change the handling of ftp URLs from connecting to
the target host to using the given ftp host. For example, if you send
"ftp://target/dir/file" with a line in your netperm-table like "http-gw:
ftp-proxy proxy" what will change is that the http-gw will connect to
host "proxy" on the ftp port, then send "user     anonymous@target" as
the user (expecting that there's a ftp-gw proxy in use.) Your
netperm-table seems to be configured with the "ftp-proxy" having the
name of a program to run; what you probably want is "http-gw: ftp-proxy
127.0.0.1" 

then I put in the netperm-table:

ftp-gw:         permit-hosts 127.0.0.1 -dest * -log { retr stor } 
http-gw:        ftp-proxy 127.0.0.1

and a "ftp localhost" give me the ftp-gw prompt and I can do a ftp to
any host, but the http-gw don't use this characteristic.

any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

--

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 10:11:44 -0500 (EST)

Jose,

The http-gw already suports ftp type urls.  Specify the ftp proxy in your
favorite browser to point to the http-gw and it should work.  The entry
should be identical to the one you have for http:

ted keller

---

From: "José M. Fandiño" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:05:43 +0100

H.,

> should be identical to the one you have for http:

sorry, I don't express in a correct form.

yes, the http-gw support ftp type urls, but in a restrict mode. It not
retrieve the normal information of  ftp server (date, size, ...). This
be a problem for mirrors and any utilities that I need use. 
The possible solution could be the ftp-proxy method of http-gw. It call
for the ftp-gw at localhost and ftp-gw established the connection to ftp
server.
ftp-proxy seem easy of configure, but I don't get that it work.

-- 
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCC d- s+: a- C+>+++ UL++++ P+ L+++ E--- W++ N+ o+ K- w---
O M V- PS PE+ Y PGP+>+++ t+ 5 X+++ R- !tv b+++ DI-- D+++
G e- h++ !r !y+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------