Subject: about fwtk.

From: Haifeng Lin ~!~ <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:17:24 +0200 (EET)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hello ,

I am Haifeng Lin. I am studying at HUT in Finland.
I am doing fwtk\smap. I had been download fwtk-2.1.tar.z.
and I had smap directory in my PC. Now, I want to run this smap
programming in PC. I have some question.
Do you mind question?
1. I have arpadate.c , makefile, smap.c in smap directory in my PC.  I
have libwsock32.a in lib directory. And I have Cygnus and egcs-1.1.2
software in my pc.
how can I run this samp.c in PC platform? What can I do the first?

how can I change it to pc code?

Thank for your help. Looking forward to hearing that from you soon.

B.R
Haifeng Lin:))

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:31:08 -0500

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 11:17:24AM +0200, Haifeng Lin ~!~ wrote:
...
> Thank for your help. Looking forward to hearing that from you soon.

I am not aware that FWTK has ever worked on an MSW platform.  I would
suggest that your first step would be to decide between Linux, FreeBSD,
or other BSD's.  Considering your location, there is a "natural"
choice.  ;-)

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.

---

From: Michel Bardiaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:20:10 +0100

> or other BSD's.  Considering your location, there is a "natural"

FWTK on WINTEL is an interesting technical problem. What would be
involved?

1. Some fixes of UNIXisms would be rather straightforward: use send/recv
rather
   than read/write on sockets; WINSOCK has to be initialized; a
substitute
   for syslog(); etc...
2. More difficult is the perennial problem, in UNIX-to-NT ports, of
   how to work without fork(). But with the general organization of the
   FWTK, we could forget '-daemon' and we would "just" need a
replacement
   for inetd (which ISTR exists somewhere); fork/exec pairs *can* be
   replaced by some WIN32 call.
3. The most interesting, because it brings us back from technicalities
to
   *general* properties of firewalls, is how to secure the machine
*before*
   we install any proxies. First of all, of course, no Win95 or Win98,
   IMHO only NT would do; but from cost considerations, NT-WorkStation.

   Then, how would we prevent forwarding? Restrict logins? Which NT
services
   can be disabled, and how? How do we protect the others? Etc...

Let's be clear before the flamethrowers are fired up: I am *not* pushing
Wintel
as a platform for FWTK. I just think it could be a good 'war game'.
Firewalls
have this perverse aspect that once set up, you don't fiddle with them
unless
really necessary, so you tend to get out of practice.

Greetings.
-- 
Michel Bardiaux
UsrConsult S.P.R.L.  Rue Margot, 37  B-1457 Nil St Vincent
Tel : +32 10 65.44.15  Fax : +32 10 65.44.10