Subject: Problem with solaris nfs / TIS v2.0

From: Joe Dempsey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:23:52 +1100

I am trying to automount a directory called /var/mail off a remote
server from a server running the TIS firewall product.

It will automount /var/mail off one server (This is a server I wish to
decommision) but not any of my others.

Does anyone know if in the firewall configuration there is a way that an
nfs automount is blocked and only one specific server is allowed?

If there is such a method it may be by IP address or host name the
remote server is allowed to be mounted to. My next question is where
would I find the parameter defigning which server can be automounted to
and if I may ask, how do I change it?

Look forward to any help that can be offered here,

Thanks
Joe Dempsey
Melbourne
Australia

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 10:16:46 -0500

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

>decommision) but not any of my others.

A firewall system shouldn't have NFS in the kernel. What you should be 
doing is having the firewall system hand the mail off to an internal server 
and letting that system mount the shared mail spool. By answering this, I'm 
helping you to aim the gun at your foot prior to you shooting it off :-)

>nfs automount is blocked and only one specific server is allowed?

Nothing in the firewall toolkit permits or denies NFS. Your system may have 
other software installed that limits the traffic (ip filtering like ipfw or 
ipfilter or ipchains, for example). Your NFS servers may not be permiting 
the firewall to mount the directory either. Without knowing what errors 
you're getting, we're forced to guess.
         -Rick