Subject: AppleTalk

From: [email-masked] (Stefan Heim, Dipl.-Ing.)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:12:58 -0800

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Have anyone a suggested methodology for running AppleTalk
through SunOS 4 running FWTK ?

Thanks!

---

From: Keith Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 09:01:14 -0500

> through SunOS 4 running FWTK ?

Impossible using SunOS and the FWTK. The FWTK only supports TCP/IP.

I don't even know of a kernel mod for SunOS 4.x which allows AppleTalk.

Have you looked at using TCP/IP between your Apple PCs instead of
AppleTalk?

-- 
--Keith Young
-Director of Customer Care/Support, V-ONE Corp.
[email-masked]

---

From: Donald J Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2000 13:29:39 -0700

>Have anyone a suggested methodology for running AppleTalk
appletalk is a protocal not supported by fwtk. FWTK is a ip based firewall.
What are u trying to do. Share files, print ????
There are methods to tunneling appletalk via ip but would need more info.
>through SunOS 4 running FWTK ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don Smith                               General Dynamics Information Systems
Systems Administrator                   8005 South Chester St
                                        EngleWood, Co. 80112
Phone (303) 649-7554
FAX   (303) 649-7504			[email-masked]
Error msgs that I love: 
"Keyboard not found press F1 to continue" (pc bios)
"Harddrive controller failure insert new disk and press any key to
continue" (pc bios)
"The disk is write protected Remove the write protect or
 use another disk." (nt)
User must change his password before he logs in the first time. (nt)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mark C Farone <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:42:05 -0500

>through SunOS 4 running FWTK ?

Since you are asking to run it through fwtk, I assume you mean that 
you want to proxy TCP based appletalk (afp over tcp/ip).

I've utilized plug-gw for this purpose through the standard port, 548.

--
Mark C. Farone <[email-masked]>   In the future,
Systems Analyst, Gainesville Sun        everything will work.

---

From: Damian James <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 09:38:26 +1000

Hi Stefan,

>> through SunOS 4 running FWTK ?

You need to use something like IPRemote-AT, a tunneling solution for
AppleTalk over TCP/IP. 

See: 		http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/appletalk/atalk.html

You may also be interested to look at:

		http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/

Cheers
Damian