Subject: abuse of my mail gateway

From: "Johann G. Hautzinger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 09:50:13 +0100

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

hi all,

yesterday i found out that someone is abusing my mail gateway for
sending spam (though i thought i did everything necessary to stop that).
fiddling with sendmail (which should be responsible for delivering mail,
as far as i understood the concept behind smap/smapd) did not change
anything.

my box is running SuSE Linux 6.1 with kernel 2.2.5 and FWTK 2.1

please help me to stop spam coming from my site

*greetz* from Vienna

Hannes

-- 
Johann Georg Hautzinger,  email: [email-masked],  Tel.: 531 00 1907
Erste Bank AG - OE 0423 - Orga./Entw. Treasury u. Orga.Wertpapier
Boersegasse 14, 1010 Wien            http://treasury.erstebank.at

---

From: Nuno Guarda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 10:38:08 +0000

>please help me to stop spam coming from my site

Try installing the patch avalable at
http://www.sabernet.net/software/nospam.html

It should help you stopping spam.

Nuno

---

From: Michel Bardiaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 16:35:46 +0100

> It should help you stopping spam.

This patch is to suppress *incoming* spam. The OPs problem seems to be
*relayed* spam.

What we have done is to create a modified smap.c with the SPECIALDOMAIN
hack activated (and somewhat modified because we have one firewall for
2 top-domains). The netperm-table specifies the 'regular' smap for
smtp requests from the intranet, and the 'norelay special' for requests
from other addresses.

Greetings.
-- 
Michel Bardiaux

---

From: "Johann G. Hautzinger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 15:18:27 +0100

"Johann G. Hautzinger" wrote:

> i used the Yao-smap.pch and on SuSE 6.3 had to change the following:
make that SuSE 6.1 ;-)

wishing a nice weekend

Hannes

---

From: "Johann G. Hautzinger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1970 06:28:38 +0100

> At 09:50 04-02-2000 +0100, you wrote:
[...]
> http://www.sabernet.net/software/nospam.html
yup - right, different patch but right idea, thnx to Andreas Waller for
helping me as the first one.

the reason was simple but i (and i think as many others do) did not
think of it: as soon as smap takes a mail it is coming from a local
machine (your own mailserver) and therefor it is rather complicated to
tell sendmail _not_ to consider it a local email going out.

solution for this:
just patch smap!

in Makefile.config, line 57 add the necessary libraries
(i did "AUXLIB= -lresolv -lcrypt -lgdbm" where "-lresolv" is the real
important thing for smap to compile)

if you do not want the idea of smap crying out loud "HEY! IT'S ME -
HOSTNAME.DOMAIN.TLD!!!" then change the source for smap.c (around line
1165)

thnx again to Alex and the community

*greetz* from vienna

Hannes