Subject: smap problems

From: Ken Blinco <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:09:18 +1000

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi,

We've been experiencing intermittant problems with smap.  When a client
makes a connection to smap and begins sending data, at some stage smap
decides that the client has gone away and sends the client a 
"550 you could say goodbye" error and then closes the connection.

smap logs a "SMTP QUIT with no message" to syslog.

This seems to happen more often when the client is sending large emails
> 2Meg. (we do not have a limit on size)

We are presuming that we are looking at intermittent network problems
here and that data is simply not arriving at the socket correctly (we
put in some debug statements in smap.c and found that we were getting
read errors periodically).

This machine on which smap is running is quite busy which may be another
factor.

I'm posting this just to see if anyone else out there has had similar
problems, and if so, what did they do to fix the problem.

Thanks

Ken

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ken Blinco              E-Mail: [email-masked]
Unix Support Group      Phone: +61 7 322 76970

CITEC,  GPO Box 297     Brisbane, Queensland 4001 Australia

---

From: Pauline van Winsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 11:34:55 +1100

>problems, and if so, what did they do to fix the problem.

not specific to your problem but i "fixed" my smap problems quite 
some years ago by switching to smtpd: 
http://www.obtuse.com/smtpd.html
pretty much a drop-in replacement for smap/smapd, support for the 
RBL & the best anti-spam/relay support i've seen. 
extensible with stuff like:
ftp://ftp.quick.com.au/pub/unix/smtp-filter.shar.Z
for quick'n'ugly content filtering.

for your problem though...
is it always one particular site you have problems with?
or one particular connecting MTA? some of them are not very well
behaved.

hope this helps,
pauline

---

From: Ken Blinco <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:41:00 +1000

Thanks for the reply,

I'll take a look at smtpd as a possible future solution.
And yes, the problem is particular to a couple of clients (both runing
NT exchange server)..??

Ken

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 20:28:40 -0500 (EST)

Ken,

This message is generated when the remote side exits for some reason of
another - possibly due to timeout. 

Standard smap is written such that if it receives an EOF from the socket -
it returns back that the message was incomplete - deletes the temporary
file - and exits.  It's very possible the remote side gave up - closed the
connection - and went away...

ted keller

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 16:13:29 -0500

> > 2Meg. (we do not have a limit on size)
Probably caused by the timer firing while in the middle of the read; the 
alarm signal causes the read to exit with an error (errno=EINTR). The fix 
was to resume the read. There was a thread a month or so ago about this - 
if I remember correctly, adding "if (errno == EINTR) {siz++;continue}" 
after "if((x=fgetc(fp))==EOF)" in crlfgets fixes it.
         -Rick

---

From: Ken Blinco <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:16:44 +1000

This sounds like it could well be our problem.  I will check the
archives of this list
if I can find them, and try this fix.  
Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks very much

Ken