Subject: Status of FWTK package

From: [email-masked] (James Seymour)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 08:33:43 -0500 (EST)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Greetings,

I recently queried about a relatively inexpensive firewall package for
another corporate division of ours that I could run upon a Linux box
(for example) and someone suggested FWTK.  (Which I had completely
forgotten about.  Which is odd since I run Gauntlet here.)

On the face of it, it *sounded* like a good idea, *except*...

Checking out http://www.fwtk.org I see that the current version, 2.1,
was released on March 2nd, 1998!  And under the question "When will the
next version be released?" is the answer "As soon as it is ready." and
"TIS tries to release a new version often, but since it is a volunteer
effort, it depends on the free time of the programmers."

I find it kind of hard to believe that in all this time "the
programmers" haven't been able to at least find the time to apply the
patches to fix known bugs and at least release, oh, say 2.1.1.

Leads me to suspect that the package is perhaps being left to die on
the vine?  And since the license is so restrictive, nobody else can
maintain it either.  So I'm not so sure this is a good way to go.

I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of reassurance that FWTK is
"alive."

TIA,
Jim
-- 
Jim Seymour                         | Medar, Inc.
[email-masked]                  | 24775 Crestview Ct.
Systems & Network Administrator     | Farmington Hills, MI. 48335
                                    | FAX: (248)477-8897

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 18:16:59 +0300

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

nuqneH,

FWTK is alive, though most development efforts are performed
outside of TIS/NAI these days. See www.fwtk.org. Many new proxies,
some minor bugfixes are there (though not everything that was done..).

Hope they will change licensing policy someday.. But the toolkit is not
going to die anyways.

> I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of reassurance that FWTK is

                                     _     _  _  _  _      _  _
 {::} {::} {::}  CU in Hell          _| o |_ | | _|| |   / _||_|   |_ |_ |_
 (##) (##) (##)        /Arkan#iD    |_  o  _||_| _||_| /   _|  | o |_||_||_|
 [||] [||] [||]            Do i believe in Bible? Hell,man,i've seen one!