Subject: host name resolution

From: George Saich <[email-masked]>
Date: 21 Feb 00 06:38:27 PST

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I was recently looking at my logs and saw a lot of the following entries:

'Feb 21 09:22:13 server7 http-gw[1010]: 10.1.1.128 host address lookup failed
Feb 21 09:22:13 server7 http-gw[1010]: permit host=unknown/10.1.1.128 use of
gateway (V2.1)
Feb 21 09:22:13 server7 http-gw[1010]: log host=unknown/10.1.1.128
protocol=HTTP cmd=get dest=cnn.com
path=/ads/advertiser/promo/9910/entertain120_tv_cnn.gif
'
Everyone is able to pass through to the web, but I thought I'd fix the, 'host
address lookup failed' message by adding everyone to the hosts file.

Then I started getting this:
'Feb 21 07:13:48 server7 http-gw[23897]: permit host=george_s/10.1.1.129 use
of \gateway (V2.1)
Feb 21 07:13:49 server7 http-gw[23897]: log host=george_s/10.1.1.129
protocol=H\TTP cmd=dir dest=home.netscape.com path=/
Feb 21 07:13:49 server7 http-gw[23897]: failed to connect to http server
home.n\etscape.com (80)
Feb 21 07:13:49 server7 http-gw[23897]: exit host=george_s/10.1.1.129 cmds=1
in\=0 out=0 user=unauth duration=1
', 
and was no longer able to access any http through the firewall.
There must be an additional configuration that I missed.  (The '/' are
complements of emacs.)

I'm using a Linux Mandrake 6.5 box.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

G. Saich

____________________________________________________________________
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com.