Subject: Re: Firewalls and SQLNet

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:11:30 +0300

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

nuqneH,

.does anybody here have protocol specs (maybe reverse-engineered at least)?

                                     _     _  _  _  _      _  _
 {::} {::} {::}  CU in Hell          _| o |_ | | _|| |   / _||_|   |_ |_ |_
 (##) (##) (##)        /Arkan#iD    |_  o  _||_| _||_| /   _|  | o |_||_||_|
 [||] [||] [||]            Do i believe in Bible? Hell,man,i've seen one!

---

From: ividal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 07:28:00 -0300 (ART)

>.does anybody here have protocol specs (maybe reverse-engineered at least)?

Surely nobody has Oracle's specs ;)
Greets
Ignacio

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 21:43:39 -0800 (PST)

ividal said ...
> Surely nobody has Oracle's specs ;)

It would be more trouble than it's worth to reverse-engineered it.  You'd
end up having to find and parse character-set dependent strings
containing the SQL*Net connect string.  Your best bet would be to file a
bug with Oracle Support and hope they can find a solution for you. 

-- 
Peter A. Castro ([email-masked]) or ([email-masked])

---

From: Blair Lowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 13:23:25 -0700

Hi,

Actually sometimes reverse engineering is easier than dealing with 
ORACLE support;)

Before you talk to them, you will have to set up a scenario that a 
Junior ORACLE programmer can look at and make sense out of.

Be patient, and expect nothing.

We would love to hear your results.

Oh yes. ORACLE tech net is sometimes a better place to get support: 
http://technet.oracle.com.

Sometimes oracle support is the only option.

Blair.

>bug with Oracle Support and hope they can find a solution for you.

Computer Engineering Inc.
http://www.compeng.net
Phone: 780 499 5687 (9 - 5 MST)
Fax:   780 435 0693 (24 Hours)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 14:27:04 -0800 (PST)

Blair Lowe said ...
> Junior ORACLE programmer can look at and make sense out of.

Actually, for simple questions like "how can I do SQL*Net through
firewall brand X" Oracle support has canned answers.  If not, it'll be
routed to a SQL*Net engineer.  There aren't any Junior SQL*Net
programmers, at least none that get any customer contact :-)

> http://technet.oracle.com.

Very, true.  Technet is a good resource.