Subject: Re: POP3/pop3-gw/plug-gw/pop-gw

From: "Dave Fennell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 08:09:50 -0700

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I have been using pop3-gw for some time now quite successfully. I think
your configuration is okay. I had a similar problem to yours, and I had
to make one slight change to the source code for it.

I am using POP and not APOP on our servers. The mail clients I use
appear to insert a carriage return/linefeed in the buffer with the
password that gets passed to the proxy. The proxy also inserts a
carriage return/linefeed. This gets the server confused, and you may
receive a message similar to what you are seeing.

To make it work, change the line in the subroutine do_server_pauth from
sprintf(buf,"PASS %s\r\n",password);
to 
sprintf(buf,"PASS %s",password);
This eliminates the double cr/lf. It works for me. This problem may well
exist in the apop routines as well, but I don't have an apop server to
test it against.

Regards
Dave
 
> Hi,
> 
> 	Thanks for the info, but still having some problems.  I have changed
> the configuration pieces to try to correctly setup the client and
> proxy.  The error that results in the /var/log/messages file is
> something like "authentication failure to host",
> which lists the mail server on the outside.  From what the manual
> says, it should correctly work.  It appears that it is trying, but
> keeps asking for a password to be typed in to verify.  Below lists
> the changes.
>