Subject: Performance Issue

From: Johnny Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 13:45:02 -0500

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I am new to firewalls.  ;)

We are running FWTK on a Sparc 5 w/Solaris 7.  We only have ftp-gw and http-gw
setup.  We have recently been having serious performance issues.  I have checked
the system out and even forced our hme card to 100mb/fd but the problem
persists.  If anyone has any ideas on what to check I'd be greatly in your
debt.  The only thing I see being logged is in /var/adm/messages and it looks
like everytime an http request is sent.  Here is a tail of /var/adm/messages.

Mar  7 13:45:25 nameserv http-gw[6872]: 208.208.208.100 host address lookup
failed
Mar  7 13:45:25 nameserv http-gw[6873]: 208.208.208.100 host address lookup
failed
Mar  7 13:45:27 nameserv http-gw[6874]: 208.208.208.100 host address lookup
failed
Mar  7 13:45:28 nameserv http-gw[6875]: 208.208.208.100 host address lookup
failed
Mar  7 13:48:04 nameserv http-gw[1306]: Timeout during read after 7200 seconds
Mar  7 13:48:37 nameserv http-gw[6892]: 208.208.208.100 host address lookup
failed
Mar  7 13:49:11 nameserv http-gw[6874]: Network connection closed during write
Mar  7 13:49:13 nameserv http-gw[6875]: Network connection closed during write

Thanks,

Johnny

--
"Nothing is more difficult than the art of maneuvering for advantageous
positions." - Sun Tzu