Subject: Re: Stopping relaying

From: Pauline van Winsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 08:54:53 +1100 (EST)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

> I'm getting close to giving up on smap and going back to sendmail. I
> know it's not as secure as smap, but I know how to get it to stop
> relaying mail.

try smtpd...

http://www.obtuse.com/smtpd.html
it's a replacement for smap/smapd & it has excellent anti-spam features.
i've been running it for many years.

cheers,
pauline

Pauline van Winsen, Senior Technical Consultant      [email-masked]
eServ Pty Ltd                 http://www.eserv.com.au/people/pauline.html      
"Another matter which must be left to your escort in restaurant dining
is any communication with the waiter. If you want something that is
not on the table you never ask the waiter direct, but ask your escort
if he will ask the waiter for it."
	       Dining Out - Book 3, Woman's World, circa 1964.

---

From: [email-masked] (James Seymour)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 07:23:40 -0500 (EST)

> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 14:07:45 -0600
> From: Frank Pittel <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Stopping relaying
> 
> After wasting uncounted hours trying to get samp to work with ...
[snip]

[I'm beginning to feel like a broken record :-)]

I didn't like smap/smapd/sendmail even on the commercial Gauntlet
firewall I run, so I replaced 'em with Postfix (http://www.postfix.org).

Works like a champ.  And spam is reduced greatly.

Postfix uses an architecture similar to the smap/smapd/sendmail
combination used by Gauntlet/FWTK.  (If you're really paranoid, even
supports chroot'ing for most of its components.)  But it is a complete
"from-scratch" project with its emphasis being the creation of a secure
e-mail MTA.  Its creator is Wietse Venema.  (Author of TCP wrappers and
other tools.  Co-author of SATAN.)

One of Postfix's best features, IMO, is that its configuration files
don't look like line noise :-).

Remember: FWTK is a *toolkit*.  You don't have to use all of *its*
components.  It's perfectly all right to replace some components with
others, add components, not run certain components entirely, etc.
That's one of its advantages over monolithic/closed solutions.  (Just
as long as you: a) know what you're doing and b) are careful, so you
don't compromise the firewall or what it's protecting.)

Regards,
Jim
-- 
Jim Seymour                         | Medar, Inc.
[email-masked]                  | 24775 Crestview Ct.
Systems & Network Administrator     | Farmington Hills, MI. 48335
                                    | FAX: (248)477-8897