Subject: Stopping relaying

From: Frank Pittel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 18:26:04 -0600

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I am in the process of trying to prevent my site from being used as a
mail relay. I installed the "yao" patches and recompiled smap. In my
netperm-table I added the line "smap: domain deepthought.com".

While this allows me to send mail from my internal machines to
external machines. All incoming connections are blocked. While I can
do without the spam blocking I would really like to stop the relaying.
Anyone know what I'm missing??

Thnx
Frank Pittel

---

From: "Tom Krotchko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 20:00:21 -0500

If I remember correctly, I believe the line should be:
 smap: relay-domain domain.com

Although I'm at home right now, and I think I might've
installed a version of the NoSpam! patch that I modified.

My mind isn't what it used to be.  Of course, it never was.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Frank Pittel
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2000 7:26 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Stopping relaying

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in
the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Thnx
Frank Pittel

---

From: Frank Pittel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 00:27:28 -0600

On Thu, Mar 02, 2000 at 08:00:07PM -0500, Rick Murphy wrote:
> At 06:26 PM 3/2/00 -0600, Frank Pittel wrote:
> What I have:
> smap: domains itm-inst.com *.itm-inst.com
> smap: localhosts *.itm-inst.com
> smap: scrub-spam 1
> smap: broken-from <>
> 
> You show 'domain' vs. 'domains'; check that. You need the 'localhosts' line 
> to define who is permitted to relay through your server.
>          -Rick

Looks like I wasn't seeing or thinking to clearly. The line I added to
my netperm-table was "smap domains deepthought.com". I also wasn't
able to connect from internal machines. When ever I try to connect to
port 25 on the firewall box is "telnet: Unable to connect to remote
host: Connection refused". It's as if smap isn't attaching to port 25.

Frank

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 20:00:07 -0500

What I have:

---

From: Frank Pittel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 14:07:45 -0600

After wasting uncounted hours trying to get samp to work with the
"yao" patches. I conceded defeat and tried to install the smapx
patches. I had more luck with the "yao" patches since the smapx patch
install failed completely.

I am using redhat linux 5.2 with fwtk2.1. Has anyone had any luck with
either the "yao" or "smapx" patches with linux? If so what do I need
to do when patching smap or compiling the fwtk?

I'm getting close to giving up on smap and going back to sendmail. I
know it's not as secure as smap, but I know how to get it to stop
relaying mail.

L8R
Frank

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 17:23:31 -0500

>install failed completely.
What problem are you having with Joe's patches? Failure to build, or 
failure to work? What symptoms are you seeing?
         -Rick