Subject: DNS and NTP

From: Scott McEachern <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 07:24:55 -0500

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

    I hope this isn't too much of a bone-head question, but I'm setting
up my first firewall with fwtk2.1 and could use a little help.  (My
ultimate goal out of this exercise is to get mail flowing properly
through my firewall.)
    I will be running two name servers behind my firewall, serving
public (192.168) IPs, but I also need them to resolve real names.  How
do I get the fwtk to allow name queries, and their replies?  I really
don't want to have the firewall acting as a name server.
    Another question, similar to the above, is the same but for network
time (NTP.)
    Can anyone help me out here?  I'm running fwtk2.1, on OpenBSD 2.6.
    Thank-you in advance!

--

R. Scott McEachern
Network Administrator
J&A Media Services, Inc.

---

From: Mark C Farone <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:50:15 -0500

Currently, I have a fwtk proxy where the internal interface is within 
the subnet of the internal hosts it supports (10.1.1.0/24).

At the moment, I'm simply doing default routing for all packets out 
the external interface to the external router.  The proxy can find 
the hosts on the internal net because they are all on the same 
internal subnet.

Now, I want to allow internal users on different subnets (e.g., 
10.1.2.0/24) to be able to utilize the proxy services.

What's the recommended way to route traffic from the proxy's internal 
interface to my internal router?  Any security issues arise from 
simply adding a new route to the proxy's route table for the internal 
networks?

This is a linux 2.0.36 box although I'm planning to move to a 2.2.x 
kernel soon.
-- 
Mark C. Farone <[email-masked]>   In the future,
Systems Analyst, Gainesville Sun        everything will work.