Subject: [FWTK] - RealPlayer problems

From: "Larry Jackson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 22:50:35 -0500

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I am having some problems using RealPlayer via my OpenBSD v2.6 firewall
running ipf and FWTK v2.1 on my cable modem.

I am forcing RealPlayer to use the HTTP proxy and have blocked incoming
packets on the standard Real ports.

Is this the best way to handle streaming media or are there any GOOD proxies
available?

The problem I'm having is that MOST media streams do not play.
Realplayer seems to want to try to use its standard ports even though I told
it to only use HTTP.
Its not even working with ipf disabled.

I heard a rumor there is a bug with Realplayer and proxies and some
workaround modifying its registry settings.  Anyone know the details?

EXAMPLES:
One such example is
http://stations.real.com/play_stations.rxml?index=21&odata=skutu
Realplayer reports the following error:
    Unable to establish a connection with the server
    rtsp://realg2.mp.intervu.net/farm/*/encoder/nr_hits.rt
and the firewall reports pretty much the same as the next example, but on a
different port and server.

Another more indepth example is http://fm97.com/97.ram .
This consists of two .ra files the first is an add that works fine the
second clip is the live radio feed from this station.  It always fails and
RealPlayer reports:
    Requested file does not found.
    pnm://207.44.18.200:7070/97live.ra
and my firewall reports:
Mar  2 13:18:49 firewall http-gw[32108]: Network error: net_flags[0] set
(write)
...
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[21019]: failed to connect to http server
207.44.18.200 (8080)
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[2343]: failed to connect to http server
207.44.18.200 (554)
...
Mar  2 13:18:52 firewall http-gw[4501]: Network error: net_flags[4] set
(read)
...
Mar  2 13:18:59 firewall http-gw[21941]: Network connection closed during
write

A Full log follows (sorry for the long logfile but I'm not sure what might
be important):

Mar  2 13:18:39 firewall http-gw[16160]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:39 firewall http-gw[16160]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=get dest=fm97.com path=/97.ram
Mar  2 13:18:40 firewall http-gw[16160]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=0 out=0 user=unauth duration=2
Mar  2 13:18:48 firewall http-gw[32108]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:48 firewall http-gw[32108]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=put dest=207.44.18.200 path=/SmpDsBhgRl
Mar  2 13:18:48 firewall http-gw[1829]: permit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:48 firewall http-gw[1829]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=get dest=207.44.18.200
path=/SmpDsBhgRl56d97a60-f066-11d3-816a-0050bab00869
Mar  2 13:18:49 firewall http-gw[1829]: content-type= text/html
Mar  2 13:18:49 firewall http-gw[1829]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=148 out=0 user=unauth duration=1
Mar  2 13:18:49 firewall http-gw[32108]: Network error: net_flags[0] set
(write)
Mar  2 13:18:49 firewall http-gw[32108]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
code=1
Mar  2 13:18:49 firewall http-gw[150]: permit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:49 firewall http-gw[150]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=get dest=207.44.18.200
path=/SmpDsBhgRl56d97a61-f066-11d3-816a-0050bab00869
Mar  2 13:18:49 firewall http-gw[27163]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:49 firewall http-gw[27163]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=put dest=207.44.18.200 path=/SmpDsBhgRl
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[150]: content-type= text/html
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[150]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=148 out=0 user=unauth duration=1
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[21019]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[21019]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=get dest=207.44.18.200
path=/SmpDsBhgRl56d97a62-f066-11d3-816a-0050bab00869
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[27163]: Network error: net_flags[0] set
(write)
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[27163]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
code=1
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[13467]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[13467]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=put dest=207.44.18.200 path=/SmpDsBhgRl
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[21019]: failed to connect to http server
207.44.18.200 (8080)
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[21019]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=0 out=0 user=unauth duration=0
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[13467]: failed to connect to http server
207.44.18.200 (8080)
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[13467]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=0 out=0 user=unauth duration=0
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[2343]: permit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[2343]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=put dest=207.44.18.200 path=/SmpDsBhgRl
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[12005]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[2343]: failed to connect to http server
207.44.18.200 (554)
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[12005]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=get dest=207.44.18.200
path=/SmpDsBhgRl56d97a63-f066-11d3-816a-0050bab00869
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[2343]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=0 out=0 user=unauth duration=0
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[12005]: failed to connect to http server
207.44.18.200 (554)
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[12005]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=0 out=0 user=unauth duration=0
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[21941]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[21941]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=get dest=207.44.18.200
path=/SmpDsBhgRl56d97a64-f066-11d3-816a-0050bab00869
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[4501]: permit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:50 firewall http-gw[4501]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=put dest=207.44.18.200 path=/SmpDsBhgRl
Mar  2 13:18:51 firewall http-gw[21941]: content-type= audio/x-pn-realaudio
Mar  2 13:18:51 firewall http-gw[20903]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:51 firewall http-gw[20903]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=put dest=207.44.18.200 path=/SmpDsBhgRl
Mar  2 13:18:52 firewall http-gw[4501]: Network error: net_flags[4] set
(read)
Mar  2 13:18:52 firewall http-gw[4501]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
code=1
Mar  2 13:18:52 firewall http-gw[19046]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:52 firewall http-gw[19046]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=put dest=207.44.18.200 path=/SmpDsBhgRl
Mar  2 13:18:53 firewall http-gw[21732]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:53 firewall http-gw[21732]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=put dest=207.44.18.200 path=/SmpDsBhgRl
Mar  2 13:18:53 firewall http-gw[20903]: Network error: net_flags[4] set
(read)
Mar  2 13:18:53 firewall http-gw[20903]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
code=1
Mar  2 13:18:53 firewall http-gw[19046]: Network error: net_flags[4] set
(read)
Mar  2 13:18:53 firewall http-gw[19046]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
code=1
Mar  2 13:18:59 firewall http-gw[21941]: Network connection closed during
write
Mar  2 13:18:59 firewall http-gw[21941]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
code=1
Mar  2 13:18:59 firewall http-gw[17247]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:59 firewall http-gw[17247]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=get dest=207.44.18.200
path=/SmpDsBhgRl56d97a65-f066-11d3-816a-0050bab00869
Mar  2 13:18:59 firewall http-gw[21732]: Network error: net_flags[4] set
(read)
Mar  2 13:18:59 firewall http-gw[21732]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
code=1
Mar  2 13:18:59 firewall http-gw[6736]: permit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:59 firewall http-gw[6736]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=0 out=0 user=unauth duration=0
Mar  2 13:18:59 firewall http-gw[10933]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:18:59 firewall http-gw[10933]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=put dest=207.44.18.200 path=/SmpDsBhgRl
Mar  2 13:19:00 firewall http-gw[17247]: content-type= text/html
Mar  2 13:19:00 firewall http-gw[17247]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=148 out=0 user=unauth duration=1
Mar  2 13:19:00 firewall http-gw[10933]: Network error: net_flags[0] set
(write)
Mar  2 13:19:00 firewall http-gw[10933]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
code=1
Mar  2 13:19:00 firewall http-gw[19218]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:19:00 firewall http-gw[21001]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:19:00 firewall http-gw[19218]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=put dest=207.44.18.200 path=/SmpDsBhgRl
Mar  2 13:19:00 firewall http-gw[21001]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=get dest=207.44.18.200
path=/SmpDsBhgRl56d97a66-f066-11d3-816a-0050bab00869
Mar  2 13:19:01 firewall http-gw[21001]: content-type= text/html
Mar  2 13:19:01 firewall http-gw[21001]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=148 out=0 user=unauth duration=1
Mar  2 13:19:01 firewall http-gw[1915]: permit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:19:01 firewall http-gw[1915]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=get dest=207.44.18.200
path=/SmpDsBhgRl56d97a67-f066-11d3-816a-0050bab00869
Mar  2 13:19:01 firewall http-gw[19218]: Network error: net_flags[0] set
(write)
Mar  2 13:19:01 firewall http-gw[19218]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
code=1
Mar  2 13:19:01 firewall http-gw[25769]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:19:01 firewall http-gw[25769]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=put dest=207.44.18.200 path=/SmpDsBhgRl
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[1915]: failed to connect to http server
207.44.18.200 (8080)
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[1915]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=0 out=0 user=unauth duration=1
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[25769]: Network connection closed during
write
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[25769]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
code=1
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[13011]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[13011]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=get dest=207.44.18.200
path=/SmpDsBhgRl56d97a68-f066-11d3-816a-0050bab00869
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[28907]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[13011]: failed to connect to http server
207.44.18.200 (554)
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[28907]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=put dest=207.44.18.200 path=/SmpDsBhgRl
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[13011]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=0 out=0 user=unauth duration=0
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[28907]: failed to connect to http server
207.44.18.200 (554)
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[28907]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=0 out=0 user=unauth duration=0
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[15012]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[15012]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=put dest=207.44.18.200 path=/SmpDsBhgRl
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[11719]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:19:02 firewall http-gw[11719]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=get dest=207.44.18.200
path=/SmpDsBhgRl56d97a69-f066-11d3-816a-0050bab00869
Mar  2 13:19:04 firewall http-gw[11719]: content-type= audio/x-pn-realaudio
Mar  2 13:19:04 firewall http-gw[11719]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=4 out=0 user=unauth duration=2
Mar  2 13:19:05 firewall http-gw[15012]: Network error: net_flags[4] set
(read)
Mar  2 13:19:05 firewall http-gw[15012]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
code=1
Mar  2 13:19:05 firewall http-gw[31415]: permit
host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1 use of gateway (V2.1)
Mar  2 13:19:05 firewall http-gw[31415]: log host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
protocol=HTTP cmd=get dest=207.44.18.200 path=/97live.ra
Mar  2 13:19:05 firewall http-gw[31415]: content-type= text/html
Mar  2 13:19:05 firewall http-gw[31415]: exit host=pc.local.net/192.168.0.1
cmds=1 in=148 out=0 user=unauth duration=0

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Larry

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 23:11:43 -0500 (EST)

Larry,

I've had reasonably good success in running real player through a socks5
daemon.  For proxies, I use both the rtspd and the pna proxy - properly
socksified, running on internal hosts.  It also works well by running real
player unser sockscap/32.  Both of the proxies are available from
real.com.  Both can be sockified pretty easily.  Neather appear secure
enough to run naked on your firewall.

ted keller