Subject: http-gw problem

From: Walter Yee <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:05:47 -0800

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi all,

I'm running Redhat 6.0 with kernel 2.2.13 I'm running a internal web
server and would like the outside world to get access it.  And I did so
with http-gw on the default port 80.  Now my question is there a way
where I can specify another port "9000" for people to access the
internal web server through the Linux box.

Thanks in advance.

---

From: Michel Bardiaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:27:07 +0100

Walter Yee wrote:
> with http-gw on the default port 80.

This is definitely *not* recommended...

> Now my question is there a way

What you wish to accomplish is unclear. What will be the difference
between access via port 80 and 9000?

Greetings.
-- 
Michel Bardiaux

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 15:03:52 -0500 (EST)

Walter,

If you Must - and try not to - place the interal web server on a dedicated
DMZ zone controlled by your firewall.  That way you can "plug" connections
from the external world to your DMZ web server.  Note - web servers are
inherently not secure.  You have to treat it as if it could be compromised
- firewall or not.  Setting it on the DMZ allows you to contain any
damage.

ted keller