Subject: Mail problem

From: Naresh Narang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 11:05:27 +0530

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hello

        Smap is working perfectly all right and the mail is delivered to
Internal and external sites and it has been working for last about 2
months. Now the problem is that recently the mail to any
[email-masked] is not being delivered. smapd hands over the mail to
sendmail and ps shows:

mx2.mail.yahoo.com. : user open

and it stays that way for long time. In the maillog it shows:

stat=Deferred: Connection reset by mx2.mail.yahoo.com.
OR
timeout waiting for input from mx2.mail.yahoo.com. during client
greeting

Now these deferred mails (all destined for yahoo.com) are being
collected in the mailq and since sendmail runs only via smapd; I have to
run sendmail -q from cron. But still the problem remains. Not being able
to send mail to any user @yahoo.com. DNS is working all right and mail
to all other sites can be sent without any problem.

Could anyone please tell me what I should do?

N.K.Narang

---

From: Markus Schreier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 15:24:36 +0200

Hi Naresh,
we have the same problems sending mail to yahoo as well. 
I tend to belive it is a yahoo-problem.

Greetings from Wiesbaden, Germany
Markus

---

From: Ken Blinco <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 11:36:53 +1000

Hi,

we are also experiencing problems with yahoo and have been for the past
week.  Not sure what they are up to over there.  We handle a very large
amount of email and have setup a number of seperate mail queues. Any
mail not delivered after an hour gets moved to an hourly queue, any mail
in that queue which is not delivered after 6 hours gets moved to a 6
hourly queue etc.

We run sendmail in queue mode over these other queues from cron at
regular, but less frequent intervals to reduce the load on our machine. 
The primary queue is of course still looked after by gauntlet's mqueue
process.

This will help separate the processing of your yahoo mail from your
normal mail functional mail delivery.

Ken

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------
Ken Blinco              E-Mail: [email-masked]
Unix Support Group      Phone: +61 7 322 76970

CITEC,  GPO Box 297     Brisbane, Queensland 4001 Australia