Subject: Re: smap in anti-relay mode

From: John Armstrong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:24:37 +0100

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I've managed to patch my smap.c with the yao-smap.pch changes and
recompiled.  I modified netperm-table with what I thought were the 
neccesary additions (appended below) and it all seems to work - except 
that it is still wide open to relaying! 

I didn't add any compilation options so I'm using just the defaults.  
Is that wrong - should I include them? (But where do they go in 
Makefile.config?)  Have I missed the plot somewhere or am I just
being (more than normally) dumb here?

BTW am I correct in thinking that the patched smap should block 
relaying on its own, even if I haven't yet beefed up sendmail?

Thanks 

John
======================================================================
# smap (email) rules:
# -------------------
#smap, smapd:   userid 8
smap, smapd:    directory  /var/spool/smap
smapd:          executable /usr/local/etc/smapd
smapd:          sendmail   /usr/sbin/sendmail
smapd:          wakeup 60
smap:           postmaster <[email-masked]>
smap:           maxrecip 400
smap:           timeout 120
smap:           domains lrf.leeds.ac.uk *.lrf.leeds.ac.uk
smap:           hosts 192.168.2.9 192.168.2.2
smap:           check-from-address 1
smap:           check-user-too 1          
__________________________________________________________________________
 John Armstrong                         Computer System Adminstrator
                                        Health & Safety Officer
 [email-masked]
 [email-masked]            LRF Centre at Leeds University
                                        30 Hyde Terrace
 0113 233 3912 (phone)                  Leeds LS2 9LN
 0113 245 9806 (fax)

---

From: "Wes Szumera" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:38:07 -0400

Date sent:      	Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:24:37 +0100
To:             	[email-masked]
From:           	John Armstrong <[email-masked]>
Subject:        	Re: smap in anti-relay mode

You know, I fought with this yesterday trying to get it to run after I 
compiled the patches.  Finally, I figured out that I never copied the 
new executeable to where it runs at /usr/local/etc . 

Could you be having the same problem?

Wes Szumera

> relaying on its own, even if I haven't yet beefed up sendmail?

Wes Szumera                    

Plant Engineer           
Eagle Trim Inc.  
0829 US 131 NW
Kalkaska, MI  49646-0460

voice 231 258 4150 ext 3024
fax   231 258 4153

---

From: Frank Pittel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:00:01 -0500

I know this sounds silly but is there anyway you could mail me the
ource for smap patched with the yao-smap patches? If that's out of
line how did you install the patches? Everytime I try the patch
installation fails.

Thnx
Frank

---

From: Jon Christopherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 18:31:27 -0700 (PDT)

Try adding the follwing directives to your net-perm file:

smap: relay-domain foo.com *.foo.com
smap: relay-domain foo1.com *.foo1.com

these examples allow the smap daemon to accept email for emails in the
foo.com domain, and allow users in that domain to relay.
same goes for foo2.
Just enter in the domains and hosts you wish to allow to relay, and wala
,, after a succesful setup you will see something like this in messages:
Apr 10 18:26:41 carmen smap[284]: relay denied: to=<[email-masked]>
from=<[email-masked]> host=jons.org/63.202.4.50

Hope this helps.

Jon Christopherson
Unix Administrator
Broderbund Software
[email-masked]

---

From: Jon Christopherson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 18:45:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hope this helps.

Jon Christopherson
Unix Administrator
Broderbund Software
[email-masked]

---

From: Naresh Narang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 10:43:38 +0530

If I remember correctly, I believe the line should be:
 smap: relay-domain domain.com

NKN

--

- Naresh Narang