Subject: Re: make

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:40:23 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 03:48:15AM -0800, Daniel Lutan wrote:
> Hello! My name is Daniel and i'm a student and a beginer in working with TIS. I'm dowloading TIS and I'm starting to compile with make comand but i have an error and i need your help. The error sound like that ( word by word ):
> 
> : No such file or directoryg
> '. Stop. No rule to make target ' Makefile.config.
> 
> I'm running a Suse Linux  6.3 and i rename the file Makefile.config.linux in Makefile.config and the old Makefile.config in Makefile.config1.
> 
> I hope i make my self clear and please send my a response.
> 
> Thank's anyway!
> 
> Daniel.
> 
> MailCity. Secure Email Anywhere, Anytime!
> http://www.mailcity.com

If you are giving the above literally, then you may have a carriage
return character in your Makefile.  If it is appended to a target name,
and you have a version of 'make' which does not interpret a CR as white
space [which is apparently the case under Linux], then the 'make'
program is trying to find a target whose name has the CR appended!  I
have seen this kind of thing happen when somebody copies a file to
their Micro$oft PC to edit, and then copies it back.

Alternately: 'make' is being called from a shell command file which has
been so modified, and the target name has a CR at the end.

Alternately: you are calling 'make' from the command line, but somehow
have the CRLF settings wrong [although I can't think of anything that
would simultaneously send a CR and give you an end-of-line].

The 'pico' editor is easy to learn on Linux, although 'vi' is known by
more people.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.