Subject: RE: FWTK To Hard to Compile if your not a Programmer!!

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 22:55:01 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

At 12:31 PM 4/17/00 +1000, Barganski Peter wrote:
>Thanks for the tip Rick.
>
>Firewalling is not new to me though and nor is UNIX administration, however,
>compiling code and Makfile configs, is. I beleive It shouldn't be so time
>consuming to do all of this. I'm a Systems Administrator not a Programming
>Guru. As a Sys Admin, I'm a serious user of all sorts of systems.

FWTK isn't all that hard to get compiled - the major problem is the two 
makefile formats (BSD and everyone else); the fixmake script fixes it for 
that one platform but has the side effect of breaking it everywhere else so 
you're just hitting one of the really frequently asked questions. (See the 
FAQ at <http://www.fwtk.org> for lots of tips).

>Currently we're using Check Point Firewall-1 and we wanted to evaluated what
>the Open Source community has to offer in this area.

I understand you looking elsewhere given the known FTP security holes in 
FW-1. I'm about to suggest installing smap to replace the Firewall-1 
security server at one site for SMTP - the Checkpoint SMTP server isn't 
usable (there's mail it'll never deliver; it can't protect you from being a 
Spam relay.)

>If its too hard just to install it, it will never get as wide a distribution
>as it might deserve.
>Anyway, that's just my optnion!

Hopefully it's not so hard - let us know what kind of system you're 
building on, make sure you get the right format makefiles, and we'll be 
happy to help
         -Rick

---

From: Keith Young <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:29:00 -0400

> usable (there's mail it'll never deliver; it can't protect you from being a

Not only that, but when I played with FW-1, it wouldn't even use lower
preference MX records... it would just keep sending to the first...
yeech....

Anyway, I don't know if you've tried it, but smap works great on FW-1
(and so does tn-gw and ftp-gw to replace their other security
"proxies").

-- 
--Keith Young
-Director of Customer Care/Support, V-ONE Corp.
[email-masked]

---

From: "Tom Krotchko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:53:05 -0400

I like FW-1 better when I'm protecting web servers with NAT.  FW-1
has been doing this longer, and the setup is easier.

On the other hand, Gauntlet/FWTK works better in situations where
you want an obvious proxy.  SMAP/sendmail works very well and is
highly configurable.

Just my opinion.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Keith Young
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 10:29 AM
To: Rick Murphy
Cc: Barganski Peter; [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: using smap in FW-1 (was:FWTK Hard to Compile)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in
the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]