Subject: Trouble with http-gw & IE-5.01

From: "Michael St. Laurent" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 12:34:40 -0700

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I'm having the following problem with the stock http-gw program from
fwtk-2.1 running in daemon mode on a Debian GNU-Linux box using kernel
2.0.37.  I've already installed all the patches to http-gw from the FAQ so
unfortunately the fix is not that simple.

Using IE-5.01 if I enter the following full path URL to a file on an FTP
site it works.  Example: 
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/win/4.x/ar405eng.exe

Again, using IE-5.01 if I enter the following path to display the contents
of the directory containing the file on the same FTP site it works.
Example: 
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/win/4.x

If I remove the "4.x" portion of the address and try again with IE-5.01,
there is a delay of about thirty seconds before the following error is
returned:  "An error occurred reading the contents of the folder.  Make sure
the file name is valid and you have permission to access the location
specified.  Details: The operation timed out"

If I use an FTP client program or Netscape Navigator 3.04 instead of IE-5.01
I can access the directory without error.

Anyone got any ideas?  ;-)

---

From: "Michael St. Laurent" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 14:03:06 -0700

After some additional testing I've actually narrowed it down to being an
Internet Explorer issue.  To correct it in IE-5.01 for Windows 98 I went to
Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced and unchecked the "Enable folder view
for FTP sites" selection.  For IE-5.01 for NT we went to the same place but
the same option did not exist.  Instead we enabled the "Use web based ftp"
selection.  In both cases it was necessary to exit and restart Internet
Explorer to activate the change.  YMMV.

--------------------
Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation

 > -----Original Message-----
 > From: Michael St. Laurent 
 > Sent: Monday, May 22, 2000 12:35 PM
 > To: [email-masked]'
 > Subject: Trouble with http-gw & IE-5.01
 > 
 > 
 > I'm having the following problem with the stock http-gw 
 > program from fwtk-2.1 running in daemon mode on a Debian 
 > GNU-Linux box using kernel 2.0.37.  I've already installed 
 > all the patches to http-gw from the FAQ so unfortunately the 
 > fix is not that simple.
 > 
 > Using IE-5.01 if I enter the following full path URL to a 
 > file on an FTP site it works.  Example: 
 > Again, using IE-5.01 if I enter the following path to display 
 > the contents of the directory containing the file on the same 
 > FTP site it works.  Example: 
 > If I remove the "4.x" portion of the address and try again 
 > with IE-5.01, there is a delay of about thirty seconds before 
 > the following error is returned:  "An error occurred reading 
 > the contents of the folder.  Make sure the file name is valid 
 > and you have permission to access the location specified.  
 > Details: The operation timed out"
 > 
 > If I use an FTP client program or Netscape Navigator 3.04 
 > instead of IE-5.01 I can access the directory without error.
 >