Subject: Re: Opening strange TCP & UDP ports

From: "Turcsanyi Zoltan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 09:44:29 +0200

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I have a task to make a connection across the fwtk firewall between two
pieces of a "strange" program. They communicate both TCP and UDP and use the
port TCP 5040:5060 and UDP 6040:6060. What can you suggest?

Thanks

Zoltan Turcsanyi

---

From: "Larry Jackson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 14:30:43 -0400

Use plug-gw to connect the TCP ports and
 use UDPrelay to connect the UDP ports.

But a couple of comments & suggestions....

This solution will work but also will expose more of your systems
to possible attacks.  If you do this you might want to implement
further security measures to encapsulate these connections.

IIRC his is a similar to handling IRC or Streaming media.
Its always best to have a proxy, but then you need to know
everything about the data and they only work for TCP.

I have a similar problem with an internet phone app.
My best solution, which I have not implemented yet,
was to write a script to activate UDPrelay which would
be triggered via inetd by connecting on a certain TCP port.
That way I would not leave the UDP ports open all the time.

[email-masked]

From: Turcsanyi Zoltan <[email-masked]>