Subject: tn-gw option (binary) negotiation

From: "Alan Mangan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 11:24:44 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

hi,
I have some questions regarding option negotiating with the telnet proxy.

I'm running tn-gw version 2.1 under redhat 6.1 on a Pentium-II processor.

I'm trying to connect to the proxy and pass binary data through it to the
connection on the other side. I've tried to set the proxy to allow binary
data (IAC DO BINARY) but I receive no response that it actually will do
binary or not. The FAQ (http://www.fwtk.org/fwtk/faq/faq.html#2.9.1, 2.9.1:
Why does tn-gw either display double characters, no characters, or echo the
passwords?) says:

"...when your client connects to the proxy, it sends options negotiation
commands to the proxy. We remember these and try to reset things to their
prior state just before connecting to the real server."

Is the proxy actually operating in binary mode? The lack of response (i.e.
IAC WILL BINARY or IAC WONT BINARY) is worrisome.
Does this mean that after I have presumably set the proxy to accept binary
data, once it connects through to the ultimate destination I will again have
to renegotiate this option?

thanks,
Alan Mangan