Subject: Re: Configuring a proxy with http-gw

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 14:13:42 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Cleaning up old mail ... looks like this never got answered.

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 04:46:02PM -0800, po llito wrote:
...
> All I'm interested in is finding out how an unknown IP
> address can connect through the proxy server (which
> has an allowed IP) and can request the IP restricted
> http resource on behalf of the unknown IP address and
> return   
> the results to the unknown address.

The "internal" [hidden] addressed site makes a connection to the
firewall bastion host.  This fires up a single new instance of the
proxy program, http-gw, to service this connection.  The proxy creates
a new connection from its public Internet address to the public
resource - the internal address is not involved.  As far as the public
resource is concerned, its conversation is purely with the public
Internet address of the bastion host.  Any results are instantly
relayed back down to the "hidden" system.

> Can I use an automatic proxy configuration file for
> this (proxy.pac) with a Javascript function that can
> make the requests come from the proxy IP?

Yes, but why bother?  Just put the bastion host's internal name as the
proxy server in manual mode.

> Do I need to use http-gw in combination with Apache's
> mod_proxy to achieve the above effect?

No.  Just http-gw with your ordinary garden Web browser.

> Any examples of ntperm-table or httpd-conf that you
> can provide would be helpful.
> 
> I appreciate any input or pointers you can provide
> into this situation. I would like to achieve the above
> just using http-gw and Apache.

Apache is overkill, for the simple solution.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.