Subject: FWTK and IPChains

From: "Nixon, Anthony" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:53:30 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Just a question here from someone who is definitely NOT a guru, but has any
one used the fwtk with an ipchains implementation? What are the pros and
cons and is it even worth it?

---

From: David Lang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 16:56:23 -0700 (PDT)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

On home firewalls (where I trust the people on the inside) I tend to use
ipchains to masquerade the connections from the inside, and only use the
FWTK for incoming connections from the internet (telnet, ftp with strong
authentication and plug-gw to connecto to internal web servers)

If you are in an environment where you want/need to limit what the inside
people do (either becouse you don't turst them or you want to defend
against possible trojens running on their machines and therefor don't want
to give unlimited outbound access) I wouldn't do the masquerading and
would route all connections through the proxies, at this point I would
just use ipchains to protect the firewall itself from attack.

David Lang

 On Mon, 8 May 2000, Nixon, Anthony wrote:

> Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 14:53:30 -0400 
> From: "Nixon, Anthony" <[email-masked]>
> To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: FWTK and IPChains
>