Subject: ftp-gw Authentication????

From: "Spencer Yost, V.P. Information Systems" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 09:21:32 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I have remote users needing to ftp through our fwtk firewall server.   I
set it up and it works fine, except ftp-gw does NOT require authentication
at the firewall level.  It simply passes asks for the USER (user@site)
command and then passes the ftp request through to the internal server.
There is no authentication to the firewall itself.  Here are my ftp-gw
entries in my netperm-table:

ftp-gw:         permit-hosts remote.site -authall -log { retr stor }
ftp-gw:         permit-hosts internal.sub.net.*      valid.sites

I expected ftp-gw to require authentication with authsrv, and then pass
requests and force a separate login to the internal server.    Am I
mis-reading the documentation or am I mis-configuring?

Thanks in advance,

Spencer Yost
Salem Carriers

---

From: "Hossein Pourreza" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 08:37:12 +0430

Spencer,
You must configure your authsvr in netpermtable and add entries to services
and inetd files as follows:
in inetd.conf you must add"
authsrv    stream    tcp    nowait    root    /usr/local/etc/authsrv
authsrv
in services file you must add:
authsrv    7777/tcp
after updating files you must run the "killall -HUP inetd" command.
in netpermatable you must add following lines:
authsrv:    database    /usr/local/etc/authsrv.db
authsrv:    permit-hosts    yourhostname

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 21:32:55 -0400 (EDT)

Also - make sure you restart inetd - kill -HUP.... to enable the new inetd
settings for authserv

ted keller