Subject: Patches?

From: "Nixon, Anthony" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 11:38:16 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I have downloaded several patches that contain certain functions that I am
looking for but there are several problems right off the bat. Could someone
please answer these questions who has experience with these matters? I have
a working firewall with fwtk 2.1 and RH 6.2. The FAQ fails to answer the
questions I have below. The questions are:

1. The gopu.tar.gz patches have the "plug-to" capability I want (possibly),
but the files are from fwtk 2.0. Should I use, what do I loose, and are
there updated patches available that allow this to both proxies?

2. The Transparency Patch (which also have needed values) html site lists
the following:

"The code makes use of the "Transparent Proxy" and port redirection code now
found in the Linux Kernel and IP Firewalling package. See the kernel and
ipfwadm man pages for details on configuring these."

Since I am using the newer kernel with ipchains, what will installing this
patch do and will it still work? The web page also says:

"The code also works with Darren Reed's IP Filter package for [Free|
Net|44]BSD (a *very* nice package, IMO). See the man pages for IP Filter's
NAT software for details on configuring redirection."

Does "also works with" interpret to must have installed? Will this code work
with Linux if needed? This is confusing. So the question here is what
exactly is required for installation of the transparency patch and will it
work with RH 6.1/2 Linux?

3. If I install the ftp-plug.pch, will that interfere with the transparency
patch or is it even needed if the transparency patch is installed?

4. I only really want transparency with http, ftp, and possibly
pop/imap/smtp for internet access to internal web, ftp, and email servers.
What would the best solution be for this? http/ftp plug-to capability or
proxy transparency?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards - Shon