Subject: Transparency of FWTK with MS Proxy 2.0

From: Malcolm Tester <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 09:59:32 -0600

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi,

In order to accomodate my Windoze users, I need to proxy client_pc->MS Proxy
2.0->fwtk->outside world.  Http, https, nntp, even real audio works fine.
However, I am running into problems with ftp and telnet.  On a UNIX client
(i.e. bypassing the MSP), I can use the gate-ftp to get out fine and using
an expect script, I can use Telnet.  I installed the transparency
patch...which installed perfectly...but it doesn't seem to make a difference
(doesn't work).  The UNIX client just hangs at Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx....  I
also installed the secondary Transparency patch, with no difference, though
I didn't expect any since that seems to be more of a compile issue.  I'm
assuming that when MSP tries to pass a telnet or ftp connection through,
it's getting hung up on the firewall, which is sitting there waiting for a
"connect" command.

Preferably, i would like to get the transparency patch working, which I
assume would fix the problem.  If not though, is there some other way to get
around it?

The fwtk is 2.1 running on Solaris 2.6.

Regards and Tia,

Malcolm W. Tester II
Cambric Corporation
110 West Business Park Drive
Draper, Utah 84020
http://www.cambric.com

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please delete it from your system and notify the
sender identified above by e-mail.

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 17:30:23 -0400 (EDT)

Malcolm,

For ftp, the problem may be related to the data port connection.  The
msproxy server may be wanting to use the defined port 20 - as opposed to a
negotiated high port number.  There are a set of patches in the archives
which will use the defined port number.

ted keller