Subject: Problem getting the servers to work

From: chris holland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:43:59 +0000

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi everyone, I've compiled my own version of linux to use on my firewall
and I would like to use
fwtk as my proxy but for some reason I can get it to make connections, I
install the servers, set up the files exactly as explained in various
howto's but when I try to telnet of ftp to the machine or accross the
machine it tells me "connection refused"
I'm thinking that maybe it's not loading the daemons properly or I might
possibly ne missing a supporting program or something, anyone have any
ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
Chris

---

From: "Tom Krotchko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 05:50:50 -0400

Have you altered inetd.conf and restarted inetd?

In BSD, inetd.conf is the file that governs what ports are open
and what program should be invoked when a connection is received
on that port.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of chris holland
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 8:44 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Problem getting the servers to work

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in
the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Thanks
Chris

---

From: Michel Bardiaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:01:15 +0200

> machine it tells me "connection refused"
[snip]

It is extremely hard to help if you do not post your config files! There
is
a lot of flexibility in configuring FWTK and just telling 'according to
the howtos' does not say much...

Do you start the proxies via inetd (in which case post your inetd.conf)
or as daemons (in which case post the startup scripts)? And you should
also post netperm-table, and relevant system log entries.

As a wild guess, I would say the proxies are simply not running, i.e.
they are
configured neither in inted.conf nor in /etc/rc.

Greetings.
-- 
Michel Bardiaux