Subject: ftp-gw does not list directories

From: Pascal Cimon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:01:24 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hello everyone,

I'm currently using fwtk 2.1 with all the patches I could find on
www.fwtk.org on a Redhat 6.0 firewall. The problem I'm having is when I ftp
to a site through ftp-gw and do the ls command only the files are listed but
not the directories. If I ftp from the firewall I get the directories so the
ftp client is okay. 

Here are the netperm-table lines I have for ftp-gw:

ftp-gw:     timeout 3600
ftp-gw:     permit-hosts 10.*

I only allow access to the gateway from inside basicaly.

Did anyone have this problem? Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks,

Pascal Cimon
Hull Québec

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 08:40:09 -0400 (EDT)

Pascal,

I assume that the site you are going to is the wu-ftpd-2.6.0 site.  The
wu-ftpd organization has taken a stand on enforcing the rfc exactly -
which, when using the nlst command, lists only those files which can be
down-loaded.  Hence - directories - are not listed.

You will probably find some cients works while others fail.  I know that
any solaris ftp client is considered "broken".

Replace your ls comand with a dir command.  These normally execute a ls -l
(or equivalent) which then calls the operatings systems ls command.

ted keller