Subject: netperm-table issue

From: "Barreira, Fernando" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:44:50 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

hi there,

i am having trouble using the ftp-gw, from some machines it's ok but others
only works if i use the actual ip address on the ftp site.
if i comment the folowing then it works,
#tn-gw: directory /proxy/black_hole
#tn-gw: userid tis-proxy
#tn-gw: groupid other

what is the use of these rules?

thanks.

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 11:00:52 -0400 (EDT)

Fernando,

These command control the tn-gw proxy - not the ftp-gw proxy.  

These commands do the following.....

> #tn-gw: directory /proxy/black_hole

  Force the tn-gw to chroot to /proxy/black_hole.  This helps protect you
from any malichious activities agains tn-gw.

> #tn-gw: userid tis-proxy

  Force the tn-gw to change its user-id to tis-proxy from root.  This
assumes that the account tis-proxy has no elevated permissions.

> #tn-gw: groupid other

  Froce the tn-gw to change its group-id to other from - probably sys.
Again - assuems that the group has no elevated permissions.

This should not be the cause of your problem.

I wonder, however, if you are seeing any configuration errors in
otherparts of your netperm-table.  Purhaps you are seeing some line
wrap-around problems - especailly if the ftp-gw entries are just before or
just after these tn-gw parameters....

ted keller

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:28:32 -0400

>#tn-gw: directory /proxy/black_hole

If enabling the 'directory' line breaks name resolution (where you must 
connect using the IP address instead of the host name) you've got something 
missing in the /proxy/black_hole directory that your resolver uses.
         -Rick