Subject: fwtksyserr: Reset state & net_flags[4] set (read)

From: David Morgan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:57:25 -0700

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Dear all,

I have just installed the latest FWTK with YAO patches (amongst others)
on my replacement firewall.

I noticed I am getting a number of errors that I was not getting with the
old firewall (same version - a different patch or two maybe)

I am getting:
smap[pid]: fwtksyserr: Reset state
and
http-gw[pid]: Network error: net_flags[4] set read errors.

I've looked at the code and I am surprised these seem to be happening.

I am on a RedHat Linux 6.2 box.

Any suggestions?

Regards
 David

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 20:18:10 -0400

>smap[pid]: fwtksyserr: Reset state

That gets logged when a RSET command is used. That's harmless. What happens 
is that when some SMTP servers have multiple mail messages to deliver to a 
server, you send one mail message, then use a RSET to reset the target; 
that then allows the server to do another MAIL FROM, RCPT TO, etc.. without 
opening a new connection. The logging of this message is informational.

>http-gw[pid]: Network error: net_flags[4] set read errors.

That'll happen when some thread in http-gw tries to read on a connection 
that's already been terminated. It's an indication of an error somewhere; 
these used to leave http-gw's hanging around forever. The error trap works 
round the bug.
(If you can reproduce one of these, and can debug the cause, it'd be nice 
to fix it as this is really a band-aid.)
         -Rick