Subject: smap questions

From: "Alcorn, Karen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 10:41:56 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

We are running smap / smapd (from fwtk 2.1) on an internet mail gateway.
Sendmail is the mta to which smap /smapd pass the internet e-mail.

I am having two problems with the software:
1. When internet people send large files through smap (> 1 meg) they receive
a NDR for the message and I see the following message in the smap log: SMTP
QUIT with no message. Does anyone know what is causing this? 

2. Also, users are receiving 'Service unavailable' messages, which seem to
indicate that there are not enough connections available to smap to process
the message (or smap is too busy to open a connection). Does anyone know
what might be causing this?

My netperm table is as follows: 

smap, smapd:    userid 201
smap, smapd:    directory /var/spool/smap
smapd:          executable /usr/local/etc/smapd
smapd:          sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail
smapd:          maxchildren 70
smapd:          wakeup 5
smap:           timeout 5
smap:           maxbytes 20000000
smap:           logfile log

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 13:17:49 -0400 (EDT)

Karen,

Here are a couple of things to look at....

It appears that you have mail size limits of 20mb so that shouldn't be
the problem.  You may be running into file system full situations.  Do a
df -k - and check out the availalbe space on the file system you have the
"/var/spool/smap" directory at.  Verify that you have sufficient space
there.

With regard to the second problem, are you running samp in daemon mode? or
from inetd.  If you are running it from inetd, check to see if you are
getting a smap "looping" message in your log file.  inetd may be shutting
the port down due to too many connections within a set time period.  Of
coarse - this should only happen on heavily loaded mail systems - or in a
situation where someone is trying to launch a sendmail attack on your
site.

ted keller