Subject: RE: http1.1 problem

From: "Overdijk, Harrie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:35:20 +0200

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Dear Tony,

Thank you very much! I wouldn't have found the problem myself...
I did have a site that gave a problem, but never thought that
the 'escape' omission would be the problem. It seems that
adding the \" solved it in my case.

> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Tony Gale [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent:	Tuesday, July 11, 2000 3:03 PM
> To:	Overdijk, Harrie
> Cc:	Joseph S D Yao; Mark C Farone; Rick Murphy; [email-masked]
> Subject:	RE: http1.1 problem
> 
> 
> Right, here goes. http-gw runs the requested URL through
> auth.c:unesc() which unescapes the %nn sequences in the URL. Now, it
> has a list of reserved characters which it doesn't unescape, which
> are listed at the top of auth.c (per protocol, although only HTTP
> is actually supported):
> 
> struct res_chars        res_char
>         { TYPE_HTTP, "()%:+/;?=&\r\n"},
>         { 0, NULL}
> };
> 
> Now, there are a few characters missing from this list (# being an
> obvious one)
> 
> My suggested change is to:
> 
>         { TYPE_HTTP, "#{}|\\^~[] <>\"()%:+/;?=&\r\n"},
> 
> Now, as I don't happen to have URLs lying around with those
> characters escaped in them, it is slightly hard to test.
> 
	[Harrie]  The site I tested it with has the URL embedded
	[Harrie]  in a search page: http://www.egl.nl/
	[Harrie]  - Click 'Partnersearch'
	[Harrie]  - Click 'search the partner service'
	[Harrie]  - Select "Energie environment..." in 'EC-R&R programme'
	[Harrie]  - Type: 'Solar Wind' (no qoutes!) in Keywords
	[Harrie]  - Select 'Match any words between fields (OR)'
	[Harrie]  - Click 'Start Search'
	[Harrie]  You will get a page with summaries and a 'More' link,
	[Harrie]  clicking the 'More' link gives a strange FMPro 5.0
	[Harrie]  error message on the screen without your patch.
	[Harrie]  With your patch, these problems are solved!

	Thanks again for your patch and others for this discussion!

	Greetings,
	          Harrie Overdijk

Harrie Overdijk, ECN, Postbox 1, 1755 ZG  Petten (NH), The Netherlands.
Internet: [email-masked]              Noisenet: +31 224 56 4597
Fidonet : 2:500/43.1902  (At home!)    FAXnet  : +31 224 56 1864
ICP/Postmaster/UseNet-News-manager/WWW-manager/Security-manager of ECN.

---

From: "Michael St. Laurent" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 10:20:49 -0700

I applied the patch with Tony's suggested modification.  Today I visited a
site I had not been to in a while:  http://www.solarisguide.com/ and got an
error in IE 5.01 ("Internal error in the Microsoft Extensions").  However,
after reverting to the old version of http-gw the error still remains so it
must be unrelated.  Netscape 3.04 displays the page without complaint.
Below is the source first from IE and following it from Netscape:

IE:

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<!--
SolarisGuide.com is a website for Administrators and users of the
Sun Solaris Operating Environment.  Featuring Headlines, Man Pages,
QuickGuides, a Bulleting Board, Chat, Mailing Lists & FAQs
-->

<TITLE>SolarisGuide.com: The Unofficial Guide to the Sun Solaris Operating
Environment *</TITLE>

<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="sun, solaris, sunos, solaris2, sun
microsystems, solaris, news, reviews, articles, editorials, commentary,
software, hardware, links, faq, gnu, bind, linux, redhat, slackware, dhcp,
inn, apache, majordomo, eeprom, nvram, trend micro, interscan, viruswall,
faqs, man, pages, manual, pages, hard, drive, headlines, java, scott, sparc,
mcnealy, company, info, stock, quote, sunw, sun4m, unix, microsoft, lxrun,
sucks, search, unxi, commands, unix, command, essential, reference, new,
riders, system, admin,
administration, management, printing, backup, backups, hardware, sales,
service, 
consulting, quake, doom, games, freeware, rtfm, read, the, fine, manual, 
syadmin, services, solareclispse, sundoom, dgadoom, isyndicate, news,
javasoft, 
sunsoft, sunware, software, site, server, www, imap, sendmail, iis,
cron, crontab, ls, print, tape, tar, cp, cpio, dd, solariscentral, sunhelp, 
sunfreeware, stokeley, network, net, nfs, nfsd, samba, nt, winnt, nt5, 
java, beans, modem, printer, scsi, sbus, sun3, masqdialer, digital,">

<META NAME="description" CONTENT="SolarisGuide.com is a website for
Administrators and users of the Sun Solaris Operating Environment.
Featuring Headlines, Man Pages, QuickGuides, a Bulleting Board, Chat,
Mailing Lists & FAQs">

<META NAME="copyright" CONTENT=

Now Netscape:

<HTML>
<HEAD>

<!--
SolarisGuide.com is a website for Administrators and users of the
Sun Solaris Operating Environment.  Featuring Headlines, Man Pages,
QuickGuides, a Bulleting Board, Chat, Mailing Lists & FAQs
-->

<TITLE>SolarisGuide.com: The Unofficial Guide to the Sun Solaris Operating
Environment *</TITLE>

<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="sun, solaris, sunos, solaris2, sun
microsystems, solaris, news, reviews, articles, editorials, commentary,
software, hardware, links, faq, gnu, bind, linux, redhat, slackware, dhcp,
inn, apache, majordomo, eeprom, nvram, trend micro, interscan, viruswall,
faqs, man, pages, manual, pages, hard, drive, headlines, java, scott, sparc,
mcnealy, company, info, stock, quote, sunw, sun4m, unix, microsoft, lxrun,
sucks, search, unxi, commands, unix, command, essential, reference, new,
riders, system, admin,
administration, management, printing, backup, backups, hardware, sales,
service, 
consulting, quake, doom, games, freeware, rtfm, read, the, fine, manual, 
syadmin, services, solareclispse, sundoom, dgadoom, isyndicate, news,
javasoft, 
sunsoft, sunware, software, site, server, www, imap, sendmail, iis,
cron, crontab, ls, print, tape, tar, cp, cpio, dd, solariscentral, sunhelp, 
sunfreeware, stokeley, network, net, nfs, nfsd, samba, nt, winnt, nt5, 
java, beans, modem, printer, scsi, sbus, sun3, masqdialer, digital,">

<META NAME="description" CONTENT="SolarisGuide.com is a website for
Administrators and users of the Sun Solaris Operating Environment.
Featuring Headlines, Man Pages, QuickGuides, a Bulleting Board, Chat,
Mailing Lists & FAQs">

<META NAME="copyright" CONTENT="1999 SolarisGuide.com">

<META NAME="author" CONTENT="John Mulligan / Jeffrey Meltzer">

</HEAD>

<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" BACKGROUND="/images/sback.gif">

<style type="text/css">
<!-- A:link, A:visited, A:active {text-decoration: none;} 
        A:hover {text-decoration: underline;} -->
</style>

<TABLE BORDER=0 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 WIDTH=600>
<TR>
        <TD WIDTH=130 VALIGN=TOP>
<!-- Navigation bar -->
<A HREF="/index.shtml"><IMG BORDER=0
SRC="/images/tra_hexlogo.gif"></A>
<BR CLEAR=both>
<FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" COLOR="#FFFFFF" SIZE=1>
<P> <FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
COLOR="#CCCCFF" SIZE=3> <B>News</B></FONT><BR CLEAR=both>
<FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial,Helvetica">
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/index.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Headlines</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/scoop.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Scoop</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/inbox.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Submit News</FONT></A>
<p>

<FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" COLOR="#CCCCFF" SIZE=3>
<FORM ACTION="/cgi-bin/rtfm" METHOD="POST">
<B>Man Pages</B>
<BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1" COLOR="#CCCCCC">
To look up the Solaris manual page for a command, type it in and press
GO.<BR><INPUT SIZE=8 NAME="cmd">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="sec" VALUE="ANY">
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="SEARCH" VALUE="EXACT">
<FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1><INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT"
VALUE="GO!"></FONT><BR><A HREF="/rtfm.shtml"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">Advanced Search</FONT></A>
</FORM>

<P><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" COLOR="#CCCCFF" SIZE=3>
<B>Resources</B></FONT>
<BR CLEAR=both>
<FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial,Helvetica">
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/rtfm.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Online Man Pages</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/reviews.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Reviews</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/quickguides.shtml"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">QuickGuides(tm)</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/articles.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Articles</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="http://forums.solarisguide.com/"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">Forums</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/ser.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Essential Ref</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/faq.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">FAQs</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/software.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Software</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/hardlinks.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Hardware</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/usenet.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Usenet</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.isp-solaris.com"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">ISP-Solaris</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.serverwatch.com"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF"$<BR>Server Daemons<br></a>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/feedback.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Feedback</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;

<A HREF="/about.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">About</FONT></A>
<P>

<FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" COLOR="#CCCCFF" SIZE=3>
<FORM ACTION="/cgi-bin/rfcsearch.pl" METHOD="POST">
<B>RFC's</B>
<BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1" COLOR="#CCCCCC">
To look up an Internet RFC, type in the rfc number or a keyword and hit
GO.<BR><INPUT SIZE=8 NAME="query">
<FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1><INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT"
VALUE="GO!"></FONT><BR><A HREF="/rfcindex.shtml"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">RFC Index</FONT></A>
</FORM>

<BR CLEAR=both>
<FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" COLOR="#CCCCFF" SIZE=3>
<B>Services</B></FONT><BR>
<FONT SIZE=2>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/consult.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Consulting</FONT></A>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/hardware.shtml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Hardware</FONT></A>
<br>

<P><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" COLOR="#CCCCFF" SIZE=3>
<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="http://search.internet.com/query">
<B>Search</B>
<BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1" COLOR="#CCCCCC">
To search for a topic type it in and press GO.<BR>
      <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="IC_Summary" VALUE="1">
      <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" name="IC_StartNumber" value="0">
      <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" name="IC_BatchSize" value="10">
      <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" name="IC_RelevanceThreshold" value="50">
      <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="IC_QueryDatabase"  VALUE="SLGuide">
      <INPUT TYPE="text"   NAME="IC_QueryText" VALUE="" SIZE="10">
<FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1><INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT"
VALUE="GO!"></FONT><BR><A
HREF="/extlink.cgi?http://search.internet.com/power_search/"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">Advanced Search</FONT></A>
</FORM>

<P>
<P><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" COLOR="#CCCCFF" SIZE=3>
<B>Link to us</B>
<BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE="2">
&nbsp;&nbsp;<A HREF="/ultramode.shtml"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">Ultramode</FONT></A>
<BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE="2">
&nbsp;&nbsp;<A HREF="/link.shtml"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">Banners</FONT></A>
<BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE="2">

<BR CLEAR=both>
<FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" COLOR="#CCCCFF" SIZE=3>
<B>internet.com</B></FONT><BR>
<FONT SIZE=2>

&nbsp;
<A
HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/sections/news.html"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">Internet News</font></A><BR>
&nbsp;
<A
HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/sections/stocks.html"><FO
NT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Internet Stocks/VC</font></A><BR>
&nbsp;
<A
HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/sections/it.html"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">Internet Technology</font></A><BR>
&nbsp;
<A
HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/sections/win.html"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">Windows Internet Tech.</font></A><BR>
&nbsp;
<A
HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/sections/linux.html"><FON
T COLOR="#FFFFFF">Linux/Open Source</font></A><BR>
&nbsp;
<A
HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/sections/webdev.html"><FO
NT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Web Developer</font></A><BR>
&nbsp;
<A
HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/sections/marketing.html">
<FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">E-Commerce/Marketing</font></A><BR>
&nbsp;
<A
HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/sections/isp.html"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">ISP Resources</font></A><BR>
&nbsp;
<A
HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/sections/downloads.html">
<FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Downloads</font></A><BR>
&nbsp;
<A
HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/sections/resources.html">
<FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">Internet Resources</font></A><BR>
&nbsp;
<A
HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/sections/lists.html"><FON
T COLOR="#FFFFFF">Internet Lists</font></A><BR>
&nbsp;
<A
HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/sections/international.ht
ml"><FONT COLOR="#FFFFFF">International</font></A><BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://search.internet.com"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">Search internet.com</font></A><BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/mediakit/"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">Advertising Info</font></A><BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/corporate/"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">Corporate Info</font></A><BR>
&nbsp;
<A HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://events.internet.com"><FONT
COLOR="#FFFFFF">Internet Trade Shows</font></A><BR>
<p>

<P><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" COLOR="#CCCCFF" SIZE=3>
<B>internet.commerce</B></FONT>
<BR CLEAR=both>
<FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial,Helvetica">   

&nbsp;
<a href="http://www.internet.com/partners/">Be a Commerce Partner</A><BR>
&nbsp;
<a
href="/event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=921&RunID=8115&AdID=2948&TagValues=199.
209.221.222.778.981&FamilyID=1&GroupID=1&Redirect=http://www.epeople.com"
target="_blank">Computer Help</a><BR>
&nbsp;
<a
href="/event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=922&RunID=8067&AdID=2564&TagValues=199.
209.221.222.778.982&FamilyID=1&GroupID=1&Redirect=http://www.directcoupons.c
om/advertise.html" target="_blank">Advertise a Coupon</a><BR>
&nbsp;
<a
href="/event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=923&RunID=8100&AdID=2547&TagValues=199.
209.221.222.778.983&FamilyID=1&GroupID=1&Redirect=http://www.mapquest.com/cg
i-bin/ia_find%3flink=/b2b/b2b_homepage" target="_blank">Map Your
Website</a><BR>
&nbsp;
<a
href="/event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=924&RunID=8151&AdID=3217&TagValues=199.
209.221.222.778.984&FamilyID=1&GroupID=1&Redirect=http://www.internet.workex
change.com" target="_blank">Freelancer Exchange</a><BR>
&nbsp;
<a
href="/event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=925&RunID=8103&AdID=3221&TagValues=199.
209.221.222.778.985&FamilyID=1&GroupID=1&Redirect=http://www.mondus.com"
target="_blank">Small Biz Purchasing</a><BR>
&nbsp;
<a
href="/event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=926&RunID=8126&AdID=2560&TagValues=199.
209.221.222.778.986&FamilyID=1&GroupID=1&Redirect=http://www.screamingmedia.
net/alliance/internet.html" target="_blank">Content for Websites</a><BR>
&nbsp;
<a
href="/event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=927&RunID=8160&AdID=4503&TagValues=199.
209.221.222.778.987&FamilyID=1&GroupID=1&Redirect=http://www.ejigsaw.com/red
ir.jsp?lf=int&pg=iai" target="_blank">IT Products and Svcs</a><BR>
&nbsp;
<a
href="/event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=928&RunID=8096&AdID=3935&TagValues=199.
209.221.222.778.988&FamilyID=1&GroupID=1&Redirect=http://www.freediskspace.c
om" target="_blank">Free Disk Space</a><BR>
&nbsp;
<a
href="/event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=929&RunID=8097&AdID=3526&TagValues=199.
209.221.222.778.989&FamilyID=1&GroupID=1&Redirect=http://www.linuxcentral.co
m" target="_blank">Buy Linux Products</a><BR>
&nbsp;
<a
href="/event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=930&RunID=6509&AdID=4594&TagValues=199.
209.221.222.778.990&FamilyID=1&GroupID=1&Redirect=http://www.software.intern
et.com" target="_blank">Software Specials</a><BR>

<p>

<FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" COLOR="#CCCCFF" SIZE=3>
<FORM ACTION="/cgi-bin/tellafriend.cgi" METHOD="POST">
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME=ACTION VALUE="submit">
<B>Tell A Friend!</B>
<BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1" COLOR="#CCCCCC">
If you've got a friend you think would enjoy our site, let them know!
<BR>
Your name<br>
<INPUT NAME=NAME SIZE=15 VCARD_NAME="vCard.DisplayName"><BR>
Your email address<br>
<INPUT NAME=FROMEMAIL SIZE=15 VCARD_NAME="vCard.Email"><BR>
Your friends email address<br>
<INPUT NAME=TOEMAIL SIZE=15><BR>
<INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" VALUE="Tell 'Em">
</FORM>

<BR CLEAR=both>
<P><BR>
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#CCCCCC" FACE="Arial,Helvetica">
* Solaris and all Solaris-based marks are trademarks or registered
trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other
countries.  SolarisGuide.com is independent of Sun Microsystems, Inc.
</FONT>
<P>
<IMG BORDER=0 HEIGHT=1 WIDTH=135 SRC="/images/spacer.gif">

        <BR><SPACER SIZE=130>
<FONT COLOR="#666699" SIZE=1>
<A HREF="/incl/headlines.html">.</A></FONT>
        <TD WIDTH=10><SPACER SIZE=10><BR>
        <TD WIDTH=460 VALIGN=TOP> 
<a target="_blank"
href="/event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=1032&RunID=8058&AdID=2699&TagValues=194
.205.222.313.604.1025&FamilyID=1&GroupID=2&Redirect=http://www.buybuddy.com"
><img src="/ads/1999/12/buybuddyadanfull5.gif" border=0 height=60 width=468
alt=""></a>

<BR CLEAR=both>
<IMG BORDER=0 SRC="/images/sg_title.gif"><BR>
        <FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1 COLOR="#666699"><B>
        THE UNOFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE SUN SOLARIS&#153; OPERATING
ENVIRONMENT *</B></FONT>
<BR>
        <B><FONT SIZE=5 FACE="Arial,Helvetica" COLOR="#666699" SIZE=5>
        <FONT COLOR="#CCCCFF">&gt;&gt;&gt;</FONT> headlines </FONT></B>
<BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1>Headlines updated: Wednesday,
12-Jul-2000 12:56:44 EDT<BR>

SUNW: <A HREF="http://www.wsrn.com/apps/quote/index.xpl?s=SUNW">
97.125
</A>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Want more tech news? Get the <A HREF="/scoop.shtml">scoop</A>!
<P>
<TABLE ALIGN=RIGHT WIDTH=100>
<TR><TD BGCOLOR="CCCCCC"><CENTER>
<FONT FACE="Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4>Talkback!</FONT>
<BR><IMG BORDER=0 SRC="/images/shout.gif"><BR>
<FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1>
Talk back! Let us know what you think. Read what others had to say.
<BR>Click on <B>&gt;&gt;comments</B> with any headline.
<P><BR>
</TABLE>

<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>Rosetta Stone For
Unix</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1 COLOR="#333333">Wed
Jul 12 12:56:44 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2>There's a new version of the Rosetta Stone For
Unix out. Translate commands between AIX, DG-UX, HP-UX, IRIX, Linux,
OpenBSD, Solaris, SunOS, True64 and Ultrix.<P><FONT SIZE=1
FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A HREF="/archive/00/07/sg12125644.shtml">&gt;&gt;
comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>Sun re-thinking source code
giveaway</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1
COLOR="#333333">Fri Jun 30 15:46:23 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2><i>"Logistics issues are giving Sun
Microsystems second thoughts on releasing to developers the entire source
code of its Solaris operating system under its Free Solaris 8 Source License
Program, according to a company official"</i>
 <p>
 Read the full story at <a
href="http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/06/28/000628hnfreesolaris.
xml">infoworld</a><P><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/06/sg30154623.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>Free Solaris(SM) Binary
License Program Greatly Exceeding Sun's Expectations</B></FONT><BR><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1 COLOR="#333333">Fri Jun 30 15:43:57 EDT 2000
(Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2>Sun today announced that registrants who have
signed up for the Free Solaris(SM)
 Binary License Program within its first 90 days of availability have
indicated that they plan to install Sun's operating environment on 260,000
systems. In addition, nearly 65%
 of the planned installations will take advantage of the no-cost licenses
for the Intel Platform Edition of the Solaris Operating Environment.
Further, over half of the systems
 are for users new to the Sun's operating system.<p>
 Read the full story at <a
href="http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/000628/ca_sun_mic_2.html">Yahoo</a><P><FON
T SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/06/sg30154357.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>Following the XHTML
Path</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1 COLOR="#333333">Fri
Jun 30 15:35:15 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2>Talk of XML is popping up everywhere the
future of the Web is being
 discussed, but how can you make the transition? In this week's open
 publishing article, writer David Jenkins introduces XHTML - the next
 generation markup language that represents the path between HTML and XML.
 <p>
 Read the article at <a
href="http://webreference.com/new/road2xhtml.html">WebReference</a><P><FONT
SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/06/sg30153515.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>You Say You Want an
Evolution</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1
COLOR="#333333">Fri Jun 30 13:01:04 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2>The next contender for heavyweight among Unix
applications--and the one that will be needed the most by Windows users
deserting that platform--is Evolution, the Outlook-style mail/calendar
program current under development by Miguel de Icaza's <a
href="http://www.helixcode.com">Helix Code</a>. Michael Hall previews
Evolution at <a
href="http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/previews/2013/1/">Linux
Planet</a>.<P><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/06/sg30130104.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>MySQL Goes
GPL</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1 COLOR="#333333">Wed
Jun 28 10:08:08 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2>We have always considered ourselves committed
members of the Open Source and Free Software
 communities," said Monty Widenius, project leader on MySQL. Moving to the
GNU General Public License (GPL)
 is a way to show this". It is the latest beta (version 3.23.19) and all new
releases that is being GPLed. <p>
 For more information, or to download MySQL, visit <a
href="http://www.mysql.org">http://www.mysql.org</a><P><FONT SIZE=1
FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A HREF="/archive/00/06/sg28100808.shtml">&gt;&gt;
comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>Judgment Day for the
GPL?</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1 COLOR="#333333">Mon
Jun 26 11:41:15 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeffrey
Meltzer</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2>ne of
the biggest issues facing the Open Source and Free Software
 communities is the legality of the GNU General Public License. As Dennis E.
 Powell reports, a judge may determine as early as this summer if it's worth
 the paper it's (not) written on.<p>
 Read the article at <a
href="http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/2000/1/">Linux
Planet</a>.<P><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/06/sg26114115.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>StarOffice 5.2
released</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1
COLOR="#333333">Wed Jun 21 00:04:57 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2>Sun has released StarOffice version 5.2. Some
of the new features include "improved import and export filters", "extensive
online help", "enhanced database functionality", a new standalone
presentation player, and many other new <a
href="http://www.sun.com/products/staroffice/5.2/whatsnew/newfeatures.html">
features</a>. You can download the new version of StarOffice at <a
href="http://www.sun.com/products/staroffice/">http://www.sun.com/staroffice
/</a>.<P><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/06/sg21000457.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>Solaris Default Processes
and init.d</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1
COLOR="#333333">Tue Jun 20 23:59:54 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2>Those Security Focus guys have another another
great article. This one is on the rc.X init scripts under Solaris. You can
find part one <a
href="http://www.securityfocus.com/focus/sun/articles/b3.html">here</a>, and
part two <a
href="http://www.securityfocus.com/focus/sun/articles/b4.html">here</a>.<P><
FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/06/sg20235954.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>Solaris and
inetd.conf</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1
COLOR="#333333">Tue Jun 20 23:58:11 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2>Security has a nice article on configuring
inetd.conf on a Solaris server. You can find part one <a
href="http://www.securityfocus.com/focus/sun/articles/inetd1.html">here</a>,
and part two <a
href="http://www.securityfocus.com/focus/sun/articles/inetd2.html">here.<P><
FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/06/sg20235811.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>SCSL has
merit?</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1 COLOR="#333333">Tue
Jun 13 16:38:09 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">John</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FON
T FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2><I>"I think the main reason that "Community
Source" has such a bad name is that the pioneer, Sun, wrapped the idea in a
very ugly license, the Sun Community Source License (SCSL). Only people who
have gone through law school are in a position to understand this license,
and even from that corner there seems to be confusion. Luckily, at least for
Jini there's a version 2 in the works that promises to be clearer."</I><P>
 Read the full story at <A
HREF="http://advogato.net/article/102.html">Advogato</A>.<P><FONT SIZE=1
FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A HREF="/archive/00/06/sg13163809.shtml">&gt;&gt;
comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>Installing Solaris 7 on a
Dell Latitude CPi D300XT</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1
COLOR="#333333">Tue Jun 13 15:45:52 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2><a href="mailto:[email-masked]">P-O
Yliniemi</a> has written a nice tutorial about how to get Solaris 7 x86 up
and running on your Dell laptop. The instructions should be enough to give
anyone assistance in installing Solaris on your x86 based laptop. You can
find the tutorial <a
href="http://fenris.campus.luth.se/~peoyli/solaris/solaris_on_latitude.html"
>here</a>, or in our <a
href="http://www.solarisguide.com/faq.shtml">FAQs</a> section.<P><FONT
SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/06/sg13154552.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>Why 100% Pure Java is a
Crock</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1 COLOR="#333333">Thu
Jun  8 08:01:31 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:">ice9</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
SIZE=2><I>"It tells you to put on your blinders and avoid looking at other
alternatives, even if they're better. Don't sacrifice your users on the
altar of Sun's corporate agenda."</I><P>
 Read the full editorial at <A
HREF="http://www.tolstoy.com/impure.html">Samizdat Productions</A>.<P><FONT
SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/06/sg08080131.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>Shell access
security</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1
COLOR="#333333">Mon Jun  5 13:41:09 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:">ice9</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
SIZE=2>Devshed has a decent article called <A
HREF="http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Administration/SSH/">The Shell
Game</A> that discusses improving security of shell access (using SSH
instead of telnet, etc.). Worth a read.<P><FONT SIZE=1
FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A HREF="/archive/00/06/sg05134109.shtml">&gt;&gt;
comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>Sun buys an Infiniband
leg-up</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1 COLOR="#333333">Mon
Jun  5 10:08:19 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2><I>"
 Sun Microsystems has bought itself some negotiating muscle, picking up the
rights to Dolphin's
 Infiniband technology. Dolphin provides the SCI (Scalable Coherent
Interface) interconnects for Sun's
 Enterprise clusters, Fujitsu's RM600s and Data General's cc-Numa servers,
and helped define the SCI
 spec in its early days. "</i><p>
 For the full story read <a
href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/000601-000002.html">The
Register</a><P><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/06/sg05100819.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>How To Eliminate The Ten
Most Critical Internet Security Threats </B></FONT><BR><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1 COLOR="#333333">Mon Jun  5 10:06:27 EDT 2000
(Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2><a href="http://www.sans.org">SANS</a> has
published what they believe to be the top ten security flaws in systems, and
how to secure them. (If you were curious, number one is BIND).<p>
 For the full article, read <a
href="http://www.sans.org/topten.htm">SANS</a><P><FONT SIZE=1
FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A HREF="/archive/00/06/sg05100627.shtml">&gt;&gt;
comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>PHP4
Released</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1
COLOR="#333333">Tue May 23 07:41:39 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Ice9</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2><I>"May 22, 2000. It's here, it's ready, and
it has the long awaited Release tag. The successor of PHP 3.0 has finally
been released. At this point, everyone is encouraged to begin upgrading
their systems to use this version."</I><P>
 Get the whole story and the new version at <A
HREF="http://www.php.net">PHP.net</A>.<P><FONT SIZE=1
FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A HREF="/archive/00/05/sg23074139.shtml">&gt;&gt;
comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>Open Source
Software</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1
COLOR="#333333">Sat May 20 01:47:33 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeffrey</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><F
ONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2>If you haven't already seen it, check out
the latest installment of the Free
 Software Project, a book about the open source movement that reporter
Andrew
 Leonard is writing "live" on the Web. That is, members of the open source
 community read each chapter, send their comments to him, and he revises
 accordingly -- same as with the software development. This chapter is about
how
 Berkeley hackers built the Net's most fabled free operating system on the
ashes
 of the '60s -- and then lost the lead to Linux. The last installment was
about
 how it all started in Finland.
 <P>
 Read the full story at <A
 
HREF="http://www.salon.com/tech/fsp/index.html?CP=SAL&DN=110">Salon.com</A>.
<P>
 Thanks go to <A HREF="mailto:[email-masked]">Karyn Hunt</A> for the
tip.<P><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/05/sg20014733.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>VA Linux wants to challenge
Sun for high-end systems </B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1
COLOR="#333333">Fri May 19 14:21:57 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2><i>"
 "I don't think (Sun) can sell effectively anymore" to companies setting up
large numbers of
 computers for high-traffic Web sites, said Biles, who in his last job
plugged Sun network
 software. "They're turning into a mainframe company." </i><p>
 For the full story read <a
href="http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-1893838.html?tag=st.ne.1430735..n
i">News.com</a><P><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/05/sg19142157.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4
COLOR="#666699"><B>VBS.NewLove.A</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
SIZE=1 COLOR="#333333">Fri May 19 08:20:39 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2><I>"The VBS.NewLove.A is a worm, and spreads
by sending itself to all adressees in the Outlook address book when it is
activated. The attachment name is randomly chosen, but will always have a
.Vbs extension. The subject header will begin with "FW: " and will include
the name of the randomly chosen attachment (excluding the .VBS extension)
Upon each infection, the worm introduces up to 10 new lines of randomly
generated comments in order to prevent detection."</I><P>This isn't really
an issue for those of us not using Outlook. However, you may need to act on
this if some of your users are using MS Outlook/Exchange.<P>
 Read the full details at <A
HREF="http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.loveletter.fw.a.html">S
ARC</A>.<P><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/05/sg19082039.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4
COLOR="#666699"><B>Microsoft/Slashdot/Kerberos</B></FONT><BR><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1 COLOR="#333333">Fri May 12 08:19:58 EDT 2000
(Posted by <a
href="mailto:">ice</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica"
SIZE=2><I>"Robin Miller sounded like he was licking his chops when reached
by phone. In contrast to other disputes involving copyrighted information --
such as the Napster controversy -- this particular tangle cannot easily be
painted as one in which hackers are ripping off corporations or depriving
artists of revenue. Instead, Microsoft is attempting to co-opt a popular
public technology and, after having been confronted about that, is
attempting to control the transmission of information revealing its
actions."</I><P>Read the full story at <A
HREF="http://salon.com/tech/log/2000/05/11/slashdot_censor/index.html">Salon
</A>.<P><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/05/sg12081958.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>sendmail 8.11.0.Beta1
available</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1
COLOR="#333333">Thu May 11 17:24:25 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2>New beta version of sendmail includes release
of STARTTLS and SMTP Authentication Security Layer code.<p>
 You can find more information and download the source from <a
href="http://www.sendmail.org">The Sendmail Consortium</a><P><FONT SIZE=1
FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A HREF="/archive/00/05/sg11172425.shtml">&gt;&gt;
comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
<P><IMG ALIGN=BOTTOM BORDER=0 SRC="/images/b.gif">&nbsp;<FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=4 COLOR="#666699"><B>That pesky ILOVEYOU
worm</B></FONT><BR><FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1 COLOR="#333333">Thu
May  4 22:14:14 EDT 2000 (Posted by <a
href="mailto:[email-masked]">Jeff</a>)<BR></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT
FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=2>By now, most of you Systems Administrators
already know about it. I meant to post something about it at 9am this
morning, but, got busy spending the better part of my day adding sendmail
rulesets to ~100 mailservers, as well as pulling through ~100,000 mbox
files, deleting the worm before it was downloaded.
 <p>
 Yet another reason not use use Outlook. When was the last time you heard of
a pine, elm, Netscape or Eudora virus? It's always Outlook...
 <p>
 On the <a href="http://www2.sendmail.com/loveletter/">Sendmail</a> website
they have posted a ruleset that will block the worm.
 <p>
 If anybody out there needs assistance cleaning up your mailserver, please
<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">let me know</a>. I quickly became
an expert today :)<P><FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Arial,Helvetica"><A
HREF="/archive/00/05/sg04221414.shtml">&gt;&gt; comments</A></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

<p>

<hr SIZE=1>

<CENTER>
<p>

<a target="_blank"
href="/event.ng/Type=click&ProfileID=1032&RunID=8255&AdID=5562&TagValues=194
.205.222.313.604.1025&FamilyID=880&GroupID=2&Redirect=http://www.swynk.com">
<img src="/ads/2000/05/swynk-468.gif" border=0 height=60 width=468
alt=""></a>

<p>

<A HREF="/index.shtml"><IMG BORDER=0 SRC="/images/tiny_hexlogo.gif"></A><BR
CLEAR=both>
<FONT FACE="Arial,Helvetica" SIZE=1>
&copy; 1999 <a
href="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com">internet.com</a></B>
<P>

<FONT SIZE=1 FACE="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"><A
HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/corporate/">
About internet.com Corp.</A> |
<A HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/corporate/press.html">
Press Releases</A><BR><a
href="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/corporate/privacy/privacy
policy.html">
Privacy Policy</a> | <A
HREF="/cgi-bin/extlink.cgi?http://www.internet.com/mediakit">
Advertising Information</a>

</CENTER>

        <BR><SPACER SIZE=460>
</TABLE>

--------------------
Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation

> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Tony Gale
> Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 8:20 AM
> To: Mark C Farone
> Cc: [email-masked]; Rick Murphy; Joseph S D Yao; Overdijk,
> Harrie
> (Rick especially, please see comments at end)
> 
> 
> On 11-Jul-2000 Mark C Farone wrote:
> > Thanks, Tony.
> > That definitely is the place.
> > 
> > Using your suggestion and re-reading rfc1738, I interpret it to
> > mean 
> > that for those characters which are "unsafe" or "reserved" we never
> > want to unescape them  where:
> >   "unsafe" { <>"#%{}|\^~[]`}
> >   "reserved" {;/?:@=&}
> > and additionally, crlf
> > 
> > However, I think maybe we shouldn't unescape what it calls
> > "special" 
> > characters (those which can exist unencoded in the URL) if they've 
> > already been escaped for whatever reason:
> > "special" {$-_.+!*'(),}
> 
> This is where is gets tricky. To some extent this will depend upon
> how broken peoples cgi scripts are. And there are a *LOT* of broken
> cgi scripts around. In theory, I don't believe that the specials are
> required, but they are probably a good idea.
> 
> > 
> > So, when I change that same line in auth.c to:
> > { TYPE_HTTP, " <>\"#%{}|\\^~[]`;/?:@=&$-_.+!*'(),\r\n"},
> > 
> > I am able to correctly bring up this URL through http-gw:
> > http://www.eshopflorida.com/MALL/Catalog/StoreRedir/asp/url/http%3A%
> > 2F%2Fwww%2Eaaadiscountsports%2Ecom/company_id/1000011398/name/AAA+Di
> > scount+Sports%2Ecom/mall_id/1000010557.html
> > 
> > and get the same data as if I went direct.
> > 
> > Any comments, especially as this would relate to security?
> > 
> 
> The only thing that comes to mind:
> 
>   - the "-dest" option, which does destination checking
> 
> but I don't think many people use it. Assuming that it is a problem,
> it was there already, but just got worse.
> 
> -tony
> 
> 
> ---
> E-Mail: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
> Q:	What does a WASP Mom make for dinner?
> A:	A crisp salad, a hearty soup, a lovely entree, followed by
> 	a delicious dessert.
> 
> The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
> and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
> any other person or official body.
>