Subject: re: smap questions

From: "T. Esting" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 08:57:56 -0700 (PDT)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

The "SMTP QUIT with no message" is caused by read() being interrupted by the
alarm() logic used to implement timeouts in smap.  Essentially, if a message
takes more than 5 seconds to send (based on your config below), you will
most likely encounter this message.  You may want to check the mailing list
archives for some futher discussion on this topic, but you essentially have
three options: eliminate the timeout, raise the timeout to something a
little less likely to trigger this false positive, or patch smap.c.

-------------------------------------------
[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in
the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

We are running smap / smapd (from fwtk 2.1) on an internet mail gateway.
Sendmail is the mta to which smap /smapd pass the internet e-mail.

I am having two problems with the software:
1. When internet people send large files through smap (> 1 meg) they receive
a NDR for the message and I see the following message in the smap log: SMTP
QUIT with no message. Does anyone know what is causing this?

2. Also, users are receiving 'Service unavailable' messages, which seem to
indicate that there are not enough connections available to smap to process
the message (or smap is too busy to open a connection). Does anyone know
what might be causing this?

My netperm table is as follows:

smap, smapd:    userid 201
smap, smapd:    directory /var/spool/smap
smapd:          executable /usr/local/etc/smapd
smapd:          sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail
smapd:          maxchildren 70
smapd:          wakeup 5
smap:           timeout 5
smap:           maxbytes 20000000
smap:           logfile log

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

_______________________________________________________
Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html