Subject: About using postfix on the firewall...

From: Leandro Gelasi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 20:25:06 +0200 (CEST)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi to all!

I'm new to this mailing list, so don't blame me if I asked something
obvious :-)

Reading list's archives, I found that postfix can be used in replacement
of smap/smapd daemon on the bastion host.
Is this correct? It will simplify my life in installing the firewall
system on the bastion host, because I am already using postfix on our
servers.

I am going to run split dns (external dns on the bastion host, internal
over one of our servers), will postfix have any problem to send email from
outside to internal network? The split-dns FAQ only talks about Sendmail
configuration .

Any hint will be appreciated!

Bye

LG

*********************************************************************
Leandro Gelasi
V year Computer Science Engineering student at Siena University
[email-masked]

Gilles Villeneuve will live forever
*********************************************************************

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 17:09:32 -0400

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 08:25:06PM +0200, Leandro Gelasi wrote:
...
> outside to internal network? The split-dns FAQ only talks about Sendmail

The two are totally separate questions, even though they have a lot to
do with each other.

Split DNS is, of course, absolutely essential to any FWTK installation.
Properly implemented, of course.  There is no "sendmail configuration"
in DNS.  Mail exchange records apply to all properly-implemented mail
transfer agents.

Postfix is another question.  There are those who believe implicitly in
its author, therefore it must be bug-free.  I do not agree.  I would
continue to use smap/smapd as the proxy, and either sendmail or postfix
as the mail transfer agent.  At this point, there are good arguments
for either of those in that position.  But NOT as a firewall proxy.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.