Subject: Re: your mail

From: "TJ O Connor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:15:22 +0100

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi,
   Is it wise to have both a packet filtering firewall and a proxy
   server protecting your system.

cheers TJ

- --                      _
T.J.O'Connor            _/ \_   2200 Cork Airport Business Park,
SysAdmin               / \_/ \  Kinsale Rd., Cork, Ireland.
Comnitel Technologies  \_/ \_/  Ph: +353 21 7305620
[email-masked]    \_/    Fax: +353 21 7305624

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:41:44 -0400

>    server protecting your system.

It depends on your needs, and what you mean by the above.  I hate the
thought of allowing IP filters on the same bastion host as the proxies.
They just open holes.  But many people feel the need to do so.  It is
best to have filtering routers in front of and behind the proxying
firewall, to only allow "proper" use.

IMHO.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.