Subject: Re: About using postfix on the firewall...

From: Leandro Gelasi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 21:33:15 +0200 (CEST)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Thank you all for your interesting explanation.

At this time I have already done the greater part of the work, now my
department firewall is up and running, and all works fine.
The split dns system is perfectly working.

For now I am using postfix directly on the firewall, because it simplify
my life, and the most important requirement is a rapid installation
(holydays are coming :-) ).
At September I will try to introduce smap/smapd in the configuration.

See you soon

LG

*********************************************************************
Leandro Gelasi
V year Computer Science Engineering student at Siena University
[email-masked]

Gilles Villeneuve will live forever
*********************************************************************

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 09:19:03 -0400

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 09:33:15PM +0200, Leandro Gelasi wrote:
...
> At September I will try to introduce smap/smapd in the configuration.

Hope you don't get hacked during hols!  ;-)

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.

---

From: "Hossein Pourreza" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 18:05:48 +0430

Hi to all
I installed and worked with TIS FWTK. Now I need some utility for scanning
mails body and detect file type of attachments.
For example I want to give mail body, a word and an action to content
checker and it applies the action on mail body.
I will appreciate any suggestion
Regards
Pourreza

---

From: Jan Muenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 09:44:34 +0200

Hello,

> I will appreciate any suggestion

Use the search engine of your choice and try and find amavis. You
can at least specify actions for attachment types.

Bye, Jan
-- 
Radio HUNDERT,6 Medien GmbH Berlin
- EDV -
[email-masked]

---

From: Mark_Saunders <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 09:40:28 -0400

I have been very pleased with this product...
ftp://ftp.rubyriver.com/pub/jhardin/antispam/procmail-security.html
It enables you to filter based on subject line,  message body content, or file
attachment name or wildcard. - Many options -
Plus, you'll learn a thing or two about procmail (you'll realize you need it when
you see what it can do)

---

From: Eberhard Mattes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:38:01 +0200 (MET DST)

> ftp://ftp.rubyriver.com/pub/jhardin/antispam/procmail-security.html

[Let me repeat a message of mine:]

Have you looked at the code of procmail?  It looks way too ugly.  I
think "procmail-security" is an oxymoron.  The code _might_ happen (by
accident, not by design) to be secure, but I won't try to verify that.
If I cannot (or won't) verify that it's secure, I assume that it
isn't.

I ignored the bad taste of the code and used procmail for a while: it
dumped core at least once per week.

Anyway, I guess that you can't detect all attachments reliably with
procmail.  A specialized tool is required.

[Consider MS-TNEF!]

-- 
  Eberhard Mattes <[email-masked]>

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:25:33 -0400

> checker and it applies the action on mail body.

To insert a utility, modify 'smap' to put the incoming mail in a
different directory.  Have a 'cron'-driven utility that picks up those
fles, runs the scanner utility, and puts files that "pass" in the
directory that 'smapd' expects - the directory in which 'smap' HAD been
putting them.

As for the utility - several suggestions have been made, I have none.