Subject: Re: problem with installation

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 23:13:06 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

At 11:17 AM 8/5/00 +0530, Shailesh Vaman Marathe wrote:
>  I have downloaded fwtk.tar.Z (fwtk2.1) from ftp.tis.com. I am getting
>following
>errors while building the executables
>
>1) in fwtk/tools/server/ftpd
>glob.c: In function `matchdir':
>glob.c:231: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

Some of the 'tools' are not very portable. I don't recommend using the fwtk 
ftpd in any case - there are better maintained alternatives.

>2) in fwtk/auth
>db.c:16: ndbm.h: No such file or directory
>make: *** [db.o] Error 1

See the FAQ - you're missing the Berkeley DBM library. Get it from 
http://www.sleepycat.com/packages/db.1.85.tar.gz (or your distribution.) 
There's a compatible GNU version that seems to work, renamed to various 
names based on the whims of the author (gdbm, gdb, db, etc..). You may be 
able to fix this by editing the header file to match your OS distribution.
         -Rick

---

From: Shailesh Vaman Marathe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:06:09 +0530 (IST)

Hi

 thanks for the reply...
 
  i culd compile the code..

 Now i am facing one more problem..

 i ran authsrv (as root) and created 2 users. they have been created
succesfully i can list them. but when i try to login <username> from
authmger or telnet <ipaddress> 7777 (authsrv has been configured to run on
port 7777), i get an error "userid nonexistent" . I have given database
file /usr/local/etc/fw-authdb. but this file seems to be empty . there 2
other file though fw-authdb.dir and fw-authdb.pag which contain some data
(not pure ascii)

what can be the problem ?

thanks

shailesh

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 20:37:29 -0400

>what can be the problem ?
The database manager uses the simple file (fw-authdb) as a locking 
mechanism; it's normal for that to be empty. The contents are in 
fw-authdb.dir and fw-authdb.pag. If I remember right, the '.dir' file is 
the index and the 'pag' file has the contents. Check your netperm-table; it 
should have something like

authsrv:        permit-hosts 127.0.0.1
authsrv:        deny-hosts *
authsrv:        database /usr/local/etc/fw-authdb
authsrv:        badsleep 1200
authsrv:        nobogus true
*:              authserver 127.0.0.1 7777

If the authsrv 'list' command shows a user, and it's enabled, authmgr 
should know about it since it uses authsrv to perform the database lookup.
         -Rick