Subject: Problems with Ford 3270 access using plug-gw

From: "Wes Szumera" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:37:35 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Has anyone used plug-gw to allow access to ford motor companies 
3270 emulator?  The tell me that the java app that I am downloading 
from their web page will connect on port 4095 to web.3270.ford.com

I set plug-gw to listen to port 4095 and plug to the ip 
web.3270.ford.com  .

My hosts file resolves the name and points to internal interface on 
firewall.

They are using a product called OC Connect which is what chrysler 
uses also.  I got Chrysler to work fine with only a little head banging.

Any help would be welcome.

Wes

                                                                                

                                                                                

Wes Szumera                    

Plant Engineer           
Eagle Trim Inc.  
0829 US 131 NW
Kalkaska, MI  49646-0460

voice 231 258 4150 ext 3024
fax   231 258 4153

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 07:33:45 -0400 (EDT)

Wes,

The last time I tried this stuff - I noted that the applet was attempting
to make direct connections to the remote site.  In turning on the
navigator debugging features, it complained about no route to host.  Are
you seeing similar things?

ted keller

---

From: "Wes Szumera" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 09:06:01 -0400

I don't know how to turn on navigator debugging features but I do 
see that it is trying to make a direct connection to the ip of 
web.3270.ford.com .  I run a netstat -a -n and catch it trying to 
establish the link.  

Other apps such as terra term will connect to my firewall if I type in 
web.3270.ford.com since the host file causes it to resolve the ip of 
my firewall which is what should be happing.  If I telnet to my firewall 
on port 4095, the one ford wants me to have open, I see plug-gw 
launches and connects to the ford ip address:4095 so I am thinking 
they have hardwired the address in the applet.

The guy I have been sending e-mail, forwarded my problem to 
someone higher up the ladder at ford.  I was copied but haven't 
received a response yet.  

Thanks,

Wes

Wes Szumera                    

Plant Engineer           
Eagle Trim Inc.  
0829 US 131 NW
Kalkaska, MI  49646-0460

---

From: Derek Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:24:36 +0100

Hi all,

I had a similar problem to this with a hotel booking system that ha the IP coded into
the app - I ended up faking the IP as an extra interface on a local machine, and
plugging the ports from there to my firewall - The extra hop didn't seem to slow it
down too much. It may help, if you can't get any clues from ford.

Cheers,
Derek