Subject: smap standalone?

From: Jan Muenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 11:57:06 +0200

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi there,
I want to use smap as an addition to an otherwise only
filter-based firewall. 
Can it be run independent from the rest of the fwtk?

Cheers, Jan
-- 
Radio HUNDERT,6 Medien GmbH Berlin
- EDV -
[email-masked]

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 08:00:23 -0400 (EDT)

Jan,

I've run smap/smapd successfully in a checkpoint system before.  So - yes
- it can be run independently.

ted keller

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 17:18:46 -0400

> Can it be run independent from the rest of the fwtk?

Yes, certainly.  Also good for running, e.g., with Raptor instead of
their mail thing.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.

---

From: "Hossein Pourreza" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 19:45:40 +0430

Hi to all,
    I downloaded and worked with FWTK but It doesn't pop-gw.
I wanna to download it but when I want to connect to ftp server it rejects
me.
I connect from a server that has valid IP and DNS name and It is my mail
server too so I think its
DNS works well but the FWTK server tells me that your reverse DNS lookup
faild.
Can some one mail me pop-gw or someone has souloution for this.
Any suggestion will be appreciated

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 17:18:46 -0400

---

From: "Hossein Pourreza" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 19:45:40 +0430

Hi to all,

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 15:49:27 -0400

> Any suggestion will be appreciated

If you haven't downloaded FWTK, then I completely don't understand your
first sentence.

The FWTK FTP server must be able to use DNS to find your host name from
your IP address.  What are the host name and IP address from which you
are trying to download the machine?  Go to, e.g.,
	<URL: http://www.his.com/cgi-bin/nslookup>
and type in your IP address.  It should give you back your host name.[1]
It should NOT reply with "non-existent host/domain".  If it does the
latter, your site needs to fix its DNS.

[1]  I am simplifying.  It has to return a host name which then
resolves via DNS forward lookups to your IP address.