Subject: FWTK Lic Questions

From: "Phil Udel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:39:34 -0400

HI
I just started at a new company that ran the FWTC.  It Looks like a nice product.  I called PNP to see what the current version of the FWTC was, and to see what gauntlet cost. Well, When the salesman found out we ran the FWTC at a company he said I need to pay him 12k or stop using the product.  I told him No Way and that I would replace the product with t.rex ASAP.  The salesman said he was going to send software cops to make sure I did.  I don't know the history of this product or the company, so here are my questions.  Question 1:Has the FWTC always been a non-profit product?   Question Two: has anyone else had to pay for the FWTK. Question Three: If so How much did you pay?
Thanks 
Phillip Udel
[email-masked]
(800) 877-2536 Ext 212

Rules To Live By:
1) On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the escape key.
2) There are absolutely no absolutes.

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:16:56 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

At 08:39 AM 9/27/00 -0400, Phil Udel wrote:
>HI
>I just started at a new company that ran the FWTC.  It Looks like a nice 
>product.
Assuming you mean the Firewall Toolkit, aka FWTK. It's not a product, it's 
a toolkit that can be used to build a firewall.

>   I called PNP to see what the current version of the FWTC was, and to 
> see what gauntlet cost.

Who is PNP? PGP?

>Well, When the salesman found out we ran the FWTC at a company he said I 
>need to pay him 12k or stop using the product.

The FWTK license permits you to run a firewall on your own network. If 
you're willing to share the name of the person who threatened you this way, 
I'll look into what's going on.

>   I told him No Way and that I would replace the product with t.rex ASAP.

I won't touch this. :-)

>   The salesman said he was going to send software cops to make sure I 
> did.  I don't know the history of this product or the company, so here 
> are my questions.  Question 1:Has the FWTC always been a non-profit product?

The FWTK has never been a product. You (or someone at your organization) 
has read the license, thus you should be aware of the terms - FWTK is 
freely usable to build a firewall for your organization; it's yours with no 
suppport and no commercial rights (you can't sell it or charge to install 
or support it.)

>    Question Two: has anyone else had to pay for the FWTK. Question Three: 
> If so How much did you pay?

No and nothing.
         -Rick

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 13:42:06 +0400

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

nuqneH,

Sounds damn strange. The license is clear enough. Could you please provide us
the name of that asshole? Hope NAI will fsck him for spreading bullshit.

That looks quite bad, though. Not because they will send software cops to you -
just because NAI is too big to control itself and it is bad for fwtk.

Speaking on licensing and development, looks like they simply can not find
a person inside the company who is responsible for fwtk and has the power
to make decisions on it.

I am cc'ing to firewall-wizards.

BTW if you don't know that, t.rex contains some fwtk code too.

"Phil Udel" <[email-masked]> said :

> I just started at a new company that ran the FWTC.  It Looks like a nice=
>  product.  I called PNP to see what the current version of the FWTC was,=

You mean PGP?

>  and to see what gauntlet cost. Well, When the salesman found out we ran=
>  the FWTC at a company he said I need to pay him 12k or stop using the=
>  product.  I told him No Way and that I would replace the product with=
>  t.rex ASAP.  The salesman said he was going to send software cops to make=
>  sure I did.  I don't know the history of this product or the company, so=
>  here are my questions.  Question 1:Has the FWTC always been a non-profit=
>  product?   Question Two: has anyone else had to pay for the FWTK. Question=
>  Three: If so How much did you pay?
> Thanks 
> Phillip Udel
> [email-masked]
> (800) 877-2536 Ext 212

                                     _     _  _  _  _      _  _
 {::} {::} {::}  CU in Hell          _| o |_ | | _|| |   / _||_|   |_ |_ |_
 (##) (##) (##)        /Arkan#iD    |_  o  _||_| _||_| /   _|  | o |_||_||_|
 [||] [||] [||]            Do i believe in Bible? Hell,man,i've seen one!

---

From: "Phil Udel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:59:35 -0400

Hmmmm
Thanks for your response.   Ya, I did mean PGP, I am cixelsyd :).  The fine person that made all off this possible was....
John ?Brient?  Direct Line is (972) 619-7528.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Jumping from one firewall to another
in a week is hazardous at best. 

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********

On 9/28/00 at 1:42 PM [email-masked] wrote:

>-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
>Version: PGP 6.5.1i
>
>iQCVAwUBOdMSbqH/mIJW9LeBAQF5YAQAsh+LHvEBvtKowACwW+caq8jfCTjJkkRW
>9vPb27A7SIMC2/tRVJZ4kF4w2e4q3ZXvhtckaONz03WaV+8WHQMHbMRyyTq9p5A1
>XHdBpsTHlmyHGni+EgLpwVfxGC40d2I0jcFPZvbg9EZyhfhdPrvEctgATz1Mbhbr
>oh2M4GSVbPM=
>=ZNC4
>-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Thanks 
Phillip Udel
[email-masked]
(800) 877-2536 Ext 212

Rules To Live By: