Subject: SSH proxy/gateway

From: "C. Regis Wilson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:45:47 -0700

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I recently read a question about SSH and fwtk.  If I read it correctly,
the person wants the following setup (a VPN, essentially):

internal machine <-via clear-- SSHd <-via SSH-- external user

My question is the reverse.  I'd like to find out if anybody has
modified the fwtk telnet proxy (a grea proxy!!) so that it will
interact with OpenSSH on outbound connections, as follows:

interal user --via clear-> telnet/SSH proxy --via SSH-> server

It seems easy enough to modify the source for the telnet proxy
to use an SSH connection (instead of clear-text) on the "other"
side.  But I'm not a coder.

One SSH die-hard suggested putting a user with an ssh2 shell
in the bastion host's /etc/passwd.  That's like putting gaffer's
tape on a cut -- it works, but it's not pretty.

Alternatively, there was another attempt I saw that was a
full-blown fwtk proxy:

internal user <-via ssh-> SSH server proxy
                          SSH client proxy <-via SSH-> server

Is there anything resembling what I'd like in the second paragraph?

---

From: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:31:23 +0100 (BST)

> internal machine <-via clear-- SSHd <-via SSH-- external user

I did attempt to implement this at one point, but couldn't quite get
it to work. SSH didn't like the lack of a full pseudo terminal that
it was getting

If I ever get the time/inclination I may try it again with OpenSSH.

-tony

---
E-Mail: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
The best laid plans of mice and men are usually about equal.
		-- Blair

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.