Subject: plug-gw

From: "wen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 17:43:00 +0800

hi,everyon:
    my system is redhat6.2  and i have installed fwtk2.1. In my intranet I want to offer www,telnet and ftp servers to internet. now i have done www server with plug-gw in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

    /usr/local/etc/plug-gw -daemon x.x.x.x:80 -name plug-gw
 x.x.x.x is internet address of my firewall box.
then in the netperm-table file i config:

plug-gw:port 80 * -plug-to 192.168.1.10 -port 80

i want to config ftp and telnet  services by the same way. but i failed and i got a result: plug-gw can't do for two or above services at the same time. 
why?
if I want to offer www,ftp and telnet services at the same time. what should i do?

---

From: "Luis Fernando Barrera" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:14:07 -0600

You should use tn-gw and ftp-gw for the telnet and ftp service, besides
is not good idea to put a web server behind the firewall. You should put
it in another network segment with a third NIC of the firewall...

  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of wen
  Sent: Friday, September 29, 2000 3:43 AM
  To: [email-masked]
  Subject: plug-gw

  hi,everyon:
      my system is redhat6.2  and i have installed fwtk2.1. In my intranet I
want to offer www,telnet and ftp servers to internet. now i have done www
server with plug-gw in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:

  i want to config ftp and telnet  services by the same way. but i failed
and i got a result: plug-gw can't do for two or above services at the same
time.
  why?
  if I want to offer www,ftp and telnet services at the same time. what
should i do?

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:18:36 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

> if I want to offer www,ftp and telnet services at the same time. what should i do? 

This is all a very bad idea.  You should have a separate network on a
third leg of your firewall [on a third NIC] for your externally visible
hosts.  Then you can use some weak form of protection for that leg,
such as ipchains.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.

---

From: Leandro Gelasi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 21:09:30 +0200 (CEST)

> if I want to offer www,ftp and telnet services at the same time. what should i do? 

You have to change the name of the service.
For example :

 /usr/local/etc/plug-gw -daemon x.x.x.x:80 -name http
 /usr/local/etc/plug-gw -daemon x.x.x.x:21 -name ftp

and so on...

In netpermtable

http: port 80 * -plug-to 192.168.1.10 -port 80 
ftp:  port 21 * -plug-to <internal_ip of your ftp server> -port 21

LG

*********************************************************************
Leandro Gelasi
V year Computer Science Engineering student at Siena University
[email-masked]

Gilles Villeneuve will live forever
*********************************************************************