Subject: Relaying mail

From: "Luis Fernando Barrera" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:54:17 -0600

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi all,

How do you forward all email from an internal (i.e. behind the firewall)
to the smap software on the firewall, so it can send it to the internet?

Until now, I'm using the firewall itself to send the mail 
to the internet...It seems not such a good idea! (I guess)

Luis Fernando Barrera
[email-masked]

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:18:08 -0400

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 12:54:17PM -0600, Luis Fernando Barrera wrote:
...
> to the internet...It seems not such a good idea! (I guess)

Correct, not a good idea.

This is done by 'sendmail', or whatever MTA [mail transfer agent] you
are using on your internal mail server [the only other one I would
consider is Postfix].  In the sendmail.cf file for many operating
systems distributed today, there is a line defining a "mail relay".  It
looks something like:

	# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
	DS

or

	# major relay host
	DRmailhost

The "D" stands for "Define".  The second letter varies from system to
system.  The name after that (here, "mailhost") should be changed to
the name of the firewall host that relays e-mail.  For instance, on
this system it is:

	DSrelay2

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:47:43 -0400 (EDT)

Louis,

Depends on the behind the firewall mail server.

If you use sendmail, the Berkeley sendmails have the concept of
"smarthost" which automatically relays non-local mail to a
more-knowledgable host.

ted keller