Subject: Smap hangs till timeout on some connections

From: "Michael St. Laurent" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:38:15 -0700

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I've got fwtk 2.1 with the yao-smap patches running under SuSE Linux on
Intel.  In the netperm-table I've specified the "smap: unknown-host 1"
setting as well as the "broken-from" setting.  The logfile indicates (unless
I'm reading it wrong) that the connection is allowed but is dropped after
the 10 minute timeout period expires.  Below is a snippet from the logfile:

Sep 15 16:40:12 guardian smap[5150]: 207.204.245.3 host address lookup
failed
Sep 15 16:40:12 guardian smap[5150]: connect host=unknown/207.204.245.3
Sep 15 16:50:12 guardian smap[5150]: Network timeout signal after 600
seconds

A packet trace shows that the sending system connects, is sent the greeting
"220 guardian.hartwellcorp.com SMTP/smap Ready", it replies with a "HELO
cadmail.cadnet.com" which is acknowledged by smap (with a TCP ACK) and then
nothing more happens on the wire til the timeout triggers and smap
terminates the connection.  A "gdb" stack backtrace shows the following:

(gdb) bt
#0  0x4008674e in ?? ()
#1  0x400e87f5 in ?? ()
#2  0x400ddef8 in ?? ()
#3  0x805f54e in   ()
#4  0x805f39e in gethostbyaddr ()
#5  0x804c4d0 in hostmatch (pattern=0x8087e20 "localhost.hartwellcorp.com",
     name=0x8086190 "207.204.245.3") at nama.c:363
#6  0x804a64e in check_hostname ()
#7  0x8048d1c in main ()
(gdb)

The sender admits that their ISP will not allow/perform reverse DNS on the
address (which is probably what is causing the problem).  Is there some way
to work around this?

--------------------
Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation