Subject: RE: [fw-wiz] Re: FWTK Lic Questions

From: "Jensen, Greg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 09:37:55 -0700

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

To respond to all the talk about how you can/can't use FWTK.  Let me
clarify.

The license that one agrees to when downloading FWTK indicates that it
cannot be used in a "re-sell" enviorment. This means that an organization or
an individual cannot take FWTK, modify the code, and resell the product to a
third party.  FWTK is free for all, and free for use on Commercial networks
if one chooses to.  This is a "not for profit" firewall package that has no
support from TIS, NAI or PGP.  

It has always been the policy of TIS, Network Associates and PGP Security
that FWTK can be used in a commercial enviorment without having to pay
royalties or license fees of any form to Network Associates or PGP Security,
if used and implemented in the manor described above.   If one wishes to
upgrade to a full blown version of the Gauntlet VPN Firewall, that is thier
choice, but not mandatory if one wishes to use FWTK in thier company.  

Thank you!

-GJ

"cheat sheet"

Can:
You can download and use for free in your organization or corporation

Can't:
You cannot re-sell FWTK or modify the code and re-sell. This is a "not for
profit" firewall.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2000 4:42 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [fw-wiz] Re: FWTK Lic Questions

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

nuqneH,

Sounds damn strange. The license is clear enough. Could you please provide
us
the name of that asshole? Hope NAI will fsck him for spreading bullshit.

That looks quite bad, though. Not because they will send software cops to
you -
just because NAI is too big to control itself and it is bad for fwtk.

Speaking on licensing and development, looks like they simply can not find
a person inside the company who is responsible for fwtk and has the power
to make decisions on it.

I am cc'ing to firewall-wizards.

BTW if you don't know that, t.rex contains some fwtk code too.

"Phil Udel" <[email-masked]> said :

 > [To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in
the
 > BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]
 > HI
 > I just started at a new company that ran the FWTC.  It Looks like a nice=
 >  product.  I called PNP to see what the current version of the FWTC was,=

You mean PGP?

 >  and to see what gauntlet cost. Well, When the salesman found out we ran=
 >  the FWTC at a company he said I need to pay him 12k or stop using the=
 >  product.  I told him No Way and that I would replace the product with=
 >  t.rex ASAP.  The salesman said he was going to send software cops to
make=
 >  sure I did.  I don't know the history of this product or the company, so=
 >  here are my questions.  Question 1:Has the FWTC always been a non-profit=
 >  product?   Question Two: has anyone else had to pay for the FWTK.
Question=
 >  Three: If so How much did you pay?
 > Thanks 
 > Phillip Udel
 > [email-masked]
 > (800) 877-2536 Ext 212

                                      _     _  _  _  _      _  _
  {::} {::} {::}  CU in Hell          _| o |_ | | _|| |   / _||_|   |_ |_ |_
  (##) (##) (##)        /Arkan#iD    |_  o  _||_| _||_| /   _|  | o |_||_||_|
  [||] [||] [||]            Do i believe in Bible? Hell,man,i've seen one!

_______________________________________________
Firewall-wizards mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.nfr.net/mailman/listinfo/firewall-wizards

---

From: Michel Bardiaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 10:51:52 +0200

> You cannot re-sell FWTK or modify the code and re-sell. This is a "not for
Both have always been very clear. What is *not* clear is all the
in-between area, particularly whether it is legal to sell *consulting*
about FWTK. Example: company X has 'signed' the license and DLed the
FWTK; now they ask me for help configuring their inetd.conf and rc
scripts and netperm table; may I ask a fee? And what if they ask me to
get and apply the nospam patches? And what if they ask me to modify
plug-gw to support encryption? And if I write patches for FWTK, what
will be their status? Do I have to 'open source' them, under what terms,
may I sell them, etc...

Some months ago, I went to the SANE2000 conference in Maastricht
(Netherlands). There was a one-day tutorial on Linux firewalls, and FWTK
was mentionned. It got high marks for functionality and robustness, but
then the speaker went on to say he did *not* recommend it because the
license was overly restrictive. Whan asked to elaborate, it seemed *his*
reading was that for-fee consulting about FWTK was not allowed.

Another point: GJ's answer is conspicuously silent about that anonymous
salesman and his heavy-handed tactics...

Greetings.
-- 
Michel Bardiaux