Subject: Ipbind and multiple websites on DMZ web server

From: "Nixon, Anthony" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 09:42:49 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I have a system with 3 nics and have patched the FWTK with the ipbind patch.
All is OK, but was wondering if I could host multiple websites off of the
DMZ nic? Could virtual addresses be applied to the external nic and then
those addresses be pluged to the DMZ nic with multiple binded plug-to's?
Would this work? Anyone tried this before? I have 5 company websites (a
parent and its 4 subsidiaries) that I need to host in-house.

Shon Nixon
Chief - Information Technology
Midrex Enterprises, Inc.

---

From: Scott McEachern <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 05:23:23 -0400

> parent and its 4 subsidiaries) that I need to host in-house.

    I had a similar problem a couple days ago.  I normally had only one web
server on the inside of my firewall.  I have plug-gw watching on my regular
external IP on port 80 (defined as www in /etc/services), but recently installed
a second web server (physically) that has another purpose.  This machine needed
to be seen from the outside world, so this was my solution:

    1)    In /etc/services, I cloned the www tcp/udp stuff and called it www2.
    2)    I created an alias for my external NIC to a 2nd IP address (basically
the original +1)  Don't forget to make this change to your startup scripts so if
a reboot ever happened you'd still have your alias.
    3)    I added a new name for this 2nd IP address to my DNS.  Now you should
resolve www.company.com to one IP addy and whatever.company.com to the other IP
addy.
    4)    Add a rule to your netperm-table similar to the www: stuff, only called
it www2: and plug-to the name or IP of the second web server.
    5)    Spark up a second plug-to process, bound specifically to the 2nd IP
address (the alias.)  Again, don't forget to add this process to your boot-up
stuff.  I forgot and just added mine now...(oop)

    It worked for me.  Hope this helps!

--
R. Scott McEachern, Network Administrator
J&A Media Services, Inc.
300 John St., Suite 500, Thornhill, ON, CA  L3T 5W4
tel:905-881-6902  fax:905-881-6945