Subject: Telnet into server

From: "Roelf Schreurs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:50:08 +0200

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I was wondering if there is a safe way to telnet in-to our firewall from the
outside (internet not intranet). Will it be able to set it up if somebody
dials into a ISP and then try and telnet. I mention the ISP because that
means they won't have the same ip address everytime they connect. (That
rules VPN's out because they are set up with IP addresses if I understand
correctly)

Roelf Schreurs
Crossroads Distribution IT

---

From: Michel Bardiaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:42:10 +0200

> rules VPN's out because they are set up with IP addresses if I understand
Although I don't use them, I know FWTK supports a number of stronger
authentication schemes, such as one-time passwords. Or you could use SSH
(my preference). Of course,  netacl rules restricting access to the
range of IPs used by your ISP would do no harm (belt and suspenders :-)

-- 
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Rue Margot, 37  B-1457 Nil St Vincent
Tel : +32 10 65.44.15  Fax : +32 10 65.44.10

---

From: Jan Muenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:46:21 +0200

Hi there,

> rules VPN's out because they are set up with IP addresses if I understand

Using telnet for remote administration on a non-internal host is
not a good idea. telnet is a plain text protocol, thus passwords
can be sniffed in case one of the hosts involved in the
transmission is compromised. 
Use ssh, it's easy and safe.

Bye, Jan
-- 
Radio HUNDERT,6 Medien GmbH Berlin
- EDV -
[email-masked]

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 22:43:27 -0400

> Crossroads Distribution IT

Somewhere in the documentation it describes how you can telnet in,
authenticate using S/Key, and have this start up a tn-gw that you can
use to telnet into your network.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.