Subject: Aranging oneself?

From: Markus Schreier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 18:09:00 +0200

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hello all of you,
i've set up a Box with FWTK as a test machine. As fare as I can see it
relay works fine.
Now i wan't to set up a real firewall with fwtk. 
This new machine should
- not have a compiler installed
- schould be somekind of uptodate with patches.

How should i arrange things to get patches compiled in without having a
compiler? Which stragety are you following?
Do you have a second system for makeing newer deamons?

Thanks for your ideas.

Markus Schreier

ORDIX AG

---

From: "Larry Jackson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:16:15 -0400

"Markus Schreier" <[email-masked]> asked:
>
> Hello all of you,
> i've set up a Box with FWTK as a test machine.
> As fare as I can see it realy works fine.
> How should i arrange things to get patches
>  compiled in without having a compiler?
> Which stragety are you following?

I use one old P90 system with the with a minimal installation of
OpenBSD w/o a compiler and with FWTK on an old 40MB hard drive.
This is the day to day operational drive.
In the same box I  then have a 2nd large hard drive with a full install of
OpenBSD w/ compiler and FWTK with full source.
I normally have the 2nd drive unplugged so its not accessable.
When I need to recompile, patch  or make changes I plug in the 2nd drive,
then I overlay mount /usr and /bin onto the small drive so I can make
changes.
When I'm done I make sure the files are up to date on the 1st drive,
power down and unplug 2nd drive and reboot.

I've also done this with external SCSI drives
which makes it easier to add and remove drives.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tom Krotchko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:33:51 -0400

The easiest way is to set up 2 machines, and use one as a test bed.

Then on the production machine, remove the compiler/linker executable 
/ source /obj (I'm assuming you're not using solaris, which doesn't
come with source or obj).

Then for patches, you compile on the test machine, and move to
production.

If this is BSD, the cost of intel hardware is so cheap, probably for
$200 you can get a machine that would fit the bill of test/development
machine.

-----Original Message-----

Thanks for your ideas.