Subject: ftp-gw problem

From: "Barreira, Fernando [IT]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 15:28:23 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

hi there,

i have the following situation (the ftp proxy works for all destinations
except this one particular site ftp.bfm.com),
here is what i have observed:

1. when i try an ftp session from the ftpproxy server itself (ftpproxy1) to
ftp.bfm.com, it works.

2. when i try using the machine (ftpproxy1) as a ftp proxy, it fails, here
is what i get:

ws1% ftp ftpproxy1
Connected to ftpproxy1.ppi.com.
220-**********************************************************************
220-**********************************************************************
220-if you encounter any problems, please contact the firewall
220-support group at : *fwsupport
220-
220-
220-**********************************************************************
220-**********************************************************************
220
Name (ftpproxy1:ftpuser): [email-masked]
----GATEWAY CONNECTED TO ftp.bfm.com----
Login failed.
ftp>   

what could be wrong? i contacted the remote location and it seems that at
the remote end, the ftp session stays up until it times out and they say
their machines never gets the username.

thanks.

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 18:39:37 -0400 (EDT)

Some ideas....

If one or both of your are behind a packet filtering firewall/router, you
may be seeing the ident packett which a lot of systems use, drop - thus
getting you into timeout situations.  This may they be followed by a
reverse DNS lookup from the remote side that can't be resolved.

You may want to snoop for the packetts going to/from that host and see
where the delays occur.

ted keller

---

From: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 09:24:00 +0100 (BST)

I can login anonymously through ftp-gw to that system.

A packet dump may tell you what is going wrong.

What platform/kernel version/FWTK version are you using?

-tony

> Connected to ftpproxy1.ppi.com.

---
E-Mail: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
Decision maker, n.:
	The person in your office who was unable to form a task force
	before the music stopped.

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.

---

From: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 15:14:18 +0100 (BST)

[Fernando is using 2.0]

There's a change in FWTK 2.1 that sends the USER command in one
packet instead of two. This solves a problem with some broken servers.

So, best thing to do is upgrade to version 2.1.

Or, change the sayn() function in ftp-gw/ftp-gw.c to send one packet,
similar to this patch, which is for http-gw:

http://www.fwtk.org/fwtk/patches/patches.html#1.9

-tony

---
E-Mail: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
System going down at 1:45 this afternoon for disk crashing.