Subject: http://www.fwtk.org/fwtk/faq/faq.html#2.4.5

From: Ross Bergman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:47:10 -0500 (EST)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

We've been running FWTK for a number of years now, and recently I've
received complaints from users trying to access www.boston.com and
odt.jamestower.com that they're unable to do so.  The error logged is
described in the FAQ, as you've pointed out in numerous emails over
the years.

Is there a patch for this supposed "bug in the http-gw code"?  

Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Ross E. Bergman                  Director of Information Technologies
        [email-masked]     PerkinElmer Detection Systems
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Adrian Florea <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:28:12 +0200 (EET)

Hello,

I'm a begginer in network administration and I want to ask about how is
fwtk working under Linux. I'm currently using IP-Masquerading and tools
like IP-Chains for firewalling for 2 subnetworks.

Thanks,

Adi

---

From: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:57:42 -0000 (GMT)

The error discussed in the FAQ is due to improper propagation of an
error condition. The real issue is, why was the connection closed in
the first place?

I'll have a look into what is failing. I have an even wierder one to
look into anyway.

> Is there a patch for this supposed "bug in the http-gw code"?  

---
E-Mail: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
Virtue does not always demand a heavy sacrifice -- only the willingness
to make it when necessary.
		-- Frederick Dunn

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.

---

From: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:59:05 -0000 (GMT)

It works fine - check the FAQ at www.fwtk.org and apply the patches
that are on there.

-tony

---
E-Mail: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.
		-- Michel de Montaigne

---

From: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:33:33 -0000 (GMT)

Ouch. This is gonna hurt.

www.boston.com is running Netscape-Enterprise/3.6 SP3

It is possibly the most broken server I've ever seen. If it doesn't
receive the GET request and a Host header in the *same packet* it
will simply reset the connection.

I enclose a test program to illustrate my point.

The other server is broken in a different way - haven't looked at it
in detail yet.

-tony

---
E-Mail: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
These screamingly hilarious gogs ensure owners of     X Ray Gogs to be the life
of any party.
-- X-Ray Gogs Instructions

---

From: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 12:41:10 -0000 (GMT)

odt.jamestower.com, it turns out, is broken in a similar way, except
it's running IIS4.0 and it just hangs the connection, rather than
resetting it.

Test program enclosed.

<rant>
When are people going to stop employing monkeys to write software, do
proper design, and actually test products.
</rant>

-tony

---
E-Mail: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
For good, return good.
For evil, return justice.