Subject: smap

From: Don <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:32:08 -0500

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].] Where can I get an in depth definition of what exactly SMAP is and does?

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:37:55 -0500 (EST)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Don,

smap/smapd is essentailly a set of sendmail wrappers which protect your
sendmail system from abusive use.

The process works as follows....

smap is added to your inetd file - sendmail is not run as daemon.

Connection is made to your firewall on port 25 (smtp port).  

smap executes and start the communication using the smtp protocol - RFC
821

Only basic command are implemented - help, helo, mail from, rcpt to, data,
quit

Data is read in from remote site and stored in a local temp file.  Note -
it the remote side mis-behaves, smap dropt the connection.

smap exits.

periocially smapd runs, collects all of the files located in the temp
directory - checks them again - and if ok - passes them along to sendmail
for delivery only.

Note - no external system can connect to sendmail directly.  Therefore,
sendmail cannot be abused directly by using protocol violations.
Additionally, sendmail can not be abused by the esmtp protocol extentions.

There have been serveral extension to smap - patches to the basic system.

These, depending on who's you use, do additional things like....

1. not authorized email relay processing
2. strict rfc 821 protocol enforcement
3. e-mail blocking based on envelope data
4. from/to combination mail blocking (this is handy for people who get on
list servers - then leave)
5. mail content spam checking (based on from, to , subject, header, or
text contents).

Hope this helps.

ted keller

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Don wrote:

> [To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users"
> in the BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].] Where can I get
> an in depth definition of what exactly SMAP is and does?
>

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:18:26 -0500

At 04:32 PM 11/10/00 -0500, Don wrote:
>Where can I get an in depth definition of what exactly SMAP is and does?

The TIS Firewall Toolkit uses smap as a SMTP proxy and smapd as a SMTP 
delivery daemon. Delivery agents talk to smap, which accepts a mail message 
and stores it in a queue directory. Smapd reads that queue and hands the 
incoming messages to a delivery agent (sendmail, typically.)

This separation of message acceptance and message delivery allows a simple 
proxy to be written (smap) that knows only enough to accept and store a 
message; that process is less likely to be compromised than a heavyweight 
MTA like sendmail.
         -Rick

---

From: Olivier Hislaire <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:10:10 +0100

Hello,

 >Only basic command are implemented - help, helo, mail from, rcpt to, data,

No ETRN or altenative to ETRN ?

 >Additionally, sendmail can not be abused by the esmtp protocol extentions.

Does it means that ESMTP (8 bits stuff and so, if I am not wrong) is not 
supported by SMAP ?

Regards,
Olivier.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Olivier Hislaire

MSG International                   Email:   [email-masked]
97 Avenue de Tervuren             Phone: +32 (0)2 735.91.59 Ext. 55
1040 Brussels                         Fax:     +32 (0)2 732.12.19
Belgium                                  http://www.msg-i.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:58:27 -0500 (EST)

ETRN is not supported in smap - and not required by rfc821.

8bit data must be 7-bit encoded.  It is the remote MTA's responsibility to
recognize smap is a RFC821 only MTA.

This is accomplished by:

remote to smap:  EHLO

smap to remote: 500 syntax error

remote to smap: HELO

smap to remote: 200 ready

tedkeller

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:38:43 +0300

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

nuqneH,

 > No ETRN or altenative to ETRN ?

No. What for?
  
 > Does it means that ESMTP (8 bits stuff and so, if I am not wrong) is not 

It is 8bit clean.  

                                      _     _  _  _  _      _  _
  {::} {::} {::}  CU in Hell          _| o |_ | | _|| |   / _||_|   |_ |_ |_
  (##) (##) (##)        /Arkan#iD    |_  o  _||_| _||_| /   _|  | o |_||_||_|
  [||] [||] [||]            Do i believe in Bible? Hell,man,i've seen one!