Subject: NT Security - FW: Q251199 - Error Message HTTP 401.2 - Unauthoriz ed Logon Failed Du e to Server Co

From: "Hutchison, Chris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:33:38 -0500

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I am getting the following error while trying to access a remote web server.
They are running NT Security.
 
Does anyone have any idea how I can get around this?
 
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Allen Kim [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2000 4:25 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Q251199 - Error Message HTTP 401.2 - Unauthorized Logon Failed Du e
to Server Co

Maybe this will help.  I'll continue looking.....
  _____  

TOPTOP
<http://support.microsoft.com/isapi/gosupport.asp?target=/directory/default.
asp> Microsoft Product Support Services
<http://support.microsoft.com/isapi/gosupport.asp?target=/library/toolbar/im
ages/curve.gif>
<http://support.microsoft.com/isapi/gomscom.asp?target=/products/> All
Products  |
<http://support.microsoft.com/isapi/gosupport.asp?target=/directory/default.
asp?fr=0&sd=gn> Support  |
<http://support.microsoft.com/isapi/gosearch.asp?target=/> Search  |
<http://support.microsoft.com/isapi/gomscom.asp?target=/> microsoft.com Home

<http://support.microsoft.com/isapi/gosupport.asp?target=/library/images/gif
s/homepage/1ptrans.gif>
<http://support.microsoft.com/isapi/gomscom.asp?target=/> microsoft.com	

<http://support.microsoft.com/isapi/gosupport.asp?target=/directory/default.
asp> Support Home  |
<http://support.microsoft.com/isapi/gosupport.asp?target=/directory/self.asp
?sd=gn> Self Support  |
<http://support.microsoft.com/isapi/gosupport.asp?target=/directory/getitem.
asp?item=AD&sd=gn> Assisted Support  |
<http://support.microsoft.com/isapi/gosupport.asp?target=/directory/getitem.
asp?item=CS&sd=gn> Custom Support  |
<http://support.microsoft.com/isapi/gosupport.asp?target=/directory/ww.asp?s
d=gn> Worldwide Support  | 	

Error Message: HTTP 401.2 - Unauthorized: Logon Failed Due to Server
Configuration

  _____  

The information in this article applies to:

*	Microsoft Internet Information Services version 5.0

  _____  

SYMPTOMS

When you use Internet Explorer to browse an intranet Web site by its IP
address (rather than its NetBIOS machine name), and that site uses
integrated Windows authentication, the following error message occurs: 

You are not authorized to view this page 
You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the
credentials you supplied. 

HTTP 401.2 - Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server configuration
Internet Information Services 

CAUSE

Internet Explorer uses a period (.) in the URL to determine if the address
is on the (external) Internet, rather than the (internal) intranet. In this
situation, because the IP address uses periods, Internet Explorer identifies
the URL as an external site, and does not attempt to initiate the
authentication session because integrated Windows authentication does not
work across a firewall or proxy. 

RESOLUTION

On the client computer, set Internet Explorer to not use the proxy server
for that particular IP address. To do this in Internet Explorer 5.0, perform
the following steps: 

1.	On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

2.	On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.

3.	Click Advanced, and then type the IP address under Exceptions.

(c) Microsoft Corporation 2000, All Rights Reserved. Contributions by Kevin
Zollman, Microsoft Corporation.

Additional query words: IIS 5 ntlm challenge/response challenge\response
challenge-response challenge response ie 401-2 internet protocol akz 

Keywords : kbWinOS2000 
Issue type : kbprb 
Technology : kbvcSearch 

Last Reviewed: August 3, 2000
©  <http://support.microsoft.com/support/misc/cpyright.asp> 2000 Microsoft
Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use.

  <http://support.microsoft.com/library/images/support/1ptrans.gif> 	

Article ID: Q251199

Last Reviewed:
August 3, 2000 

 <mailto:?subject=Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - Q251199&body=This
article pointer was forwarded to you from the Microsoft Online Support site.
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q251/1/99.ASP> Send to a
friend

Provided by
Microsoft Product Support Services
<http://support.microsoft.com/directory/default.asp>  

  _____  

     Did the information in this article help answer your question? 

Yes
No
Did not apply 

Please provide additional comments about this information.
(255 character max)