Subject: long delay in getting prompt

From: "Barreira, Fernando [IT]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 16:21:23 -0500

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

hi here,

i have FWTK (v2.1) installed on a solaris (v5.6) machine, some times when i
try using ftp or telnet services, it takes a long time for me to get a login
prompt, and it just stays with the following:

ws1% ftp proxy3
Connected to proxy3

some times is very fast, at times it can take up to 6 or 8 minutes to get
the prompt to login.

any help would be appreciated.
thanks.

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:15:38 -0500

>some times is very fast, at times it can take up to 6 or 8 minutes to get
That's almost always because the firewall is taking a long time in a DNS 
lookup - probably looking up the PTR record for the host you're coming 
from. Verify that both forward and reverse lookups for the source host work 
correctly.
         -Rick