Subject: Problem using nntp-gw

From: Olivier Hislaire <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 13:38:45 +0100

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi,

I added the nntp-gw subdirectory to the fwtk tree, compiled and installed 
it without any trouble. The trouble starts when I try to use it:

Dec 1 12:42:34 skimmer nntp-gw[951]: Starting daemon mode on port 119
Dec 1 12:42:59 skimmer kernel: SCSLog: connect - Name: nntp-gw | UID: 9 | 
EUID: 9 | PID: 956 | IP: 195.72.74.1 | Port: 53
Dec 1 12:42:59 skimmer kernel: SCSLog: connect - Name: nntp-gw | UID: 9 | 
EUID: 9 | PID: 956 | IP: 195.72.74.1 | Port: 53
Dec 1 12:42:59 skimmer nntp-gw[956]: permit 
host=charlie.be.msg-i.com/192.168.32.194 use of gateway
Dec 1 12:43:00 skimmer nntp-gw[956]: command: MODE READER
Dec 1 12:43:00 skimmer nntp-gw[956]: Assertion failed: f != NULL, file 
emo.c, line 176

Would anybody know about what it means ? accordingly to fwtk/libem/emo.c, 
'f' seems to be a file descriptor, may be the connection to the server 
Since, I've checked that the server was available (telnet on port 119).

Any idea or advice appreciated.

Olivier.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Olivier Hislaire

MSG International                   Email:   [email-masked]
97 Avenue de Tervuren             Phone: +32 (0)2 735.91.59 Ext. 55
1040 Brussels                         Fax:     +32 (0)2 732.12.19
Belgium                                  http://www.msg-i.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Eberhard Mattes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 20:49:59 +0100 (MET)

> Would anybody know about what it means ?

It means that you should upgrade to version 0.5 of nntp-gw.

-- 
  Eberhard Mattes <[email-masked]>

---

From: Olivier Hislaire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 12:27:06 +0100

At 08:49 PM 12/4/00 +0100, you wrote:

 >>Hi,
 >>
 >>I added the nntp-gw subdirectory to the fwtk tree, compiled and 
installed it without any trouble. The trouble starts when I try to use it:
 >>Dec 1 12:42:59 skimmer kernel: SCSLog: connect - Name: nntp-gw | UID: 9 
| EUID: 9 | PID: 956 | IP: 195.72.74.1 | Port: 53
 >>Dec 1 12:42:59 skimmer kernel: SCSLog: connect - Name: nntp-gw | UID: 9 
| EUID: 9 | PID: 956 | IP: 195.72.74.1 | Port: 53

 >It means that you should upgrade to version 0.5 of nntp-gw.

It is version 0.5 :-((

It looks like the nntp-gw program expects to be already connected to the 
server when it receives the 'MODE READER' command from the client. Since I 
do not have the SERVER directive in the configuration file (using more than 
one news server), nntp-gw cannot connect immediately to the server; 
instead, it waits for the AUTHINFO USER command to retrieve the server name 
and connect.

When I connect to nntp-gw using 'telnet nntp-proxy 119', then issue the 
'AUTHINFO USER news.software.ibm.com PASS ', I receive IBM's news server 
banner (that learnt to me those folks use INN). Working fine.

But although configured properly (news server = nntp-proxy, user = 
news.software.ibm.com, pass = ), my newsreader (free agent 1.21) seems to 
send the MODE READER command first. Is the problem coming from Agent ? I am 
trying with netscape, but still am unable to find the right place to put my 
'username' ...

Again, any help appreciated.

Olivier