Subject: how to disable reverse lookup on fwtk?

From: "Barreira, Fernando [IT]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 18:37:26 -0500

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

is there a way to prevent the fwtk from performing a reverse lookup on a
host that is trying to use ftp-gw?

thanks.

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 18:06:53 -0500

> host that is trying to use ftp-gw?

I would discourage this, but of course, you can always go into the
ftp-gw source and remove the check.

Why do you want to do this?

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.

---

From: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:42:49 -0000 (GMT)

There's no reason not to do this. It makes no sense in many
environments, and trusting DNS is never a good idea. Doing access
control on DNS information is not a good habit to get into.

Those who follow such things may have noticed an increase in the
interest of DNS cache poisoning, DNS faking, etc. over the last year.

Anyway, the enclosed patch will disable this for all FWTK proxies.

-tony

> Why do you want to do this?

---
E-Mail: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
The first marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence,
and the second the triumph of hope over experience.

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.