Subject: ftp-gw: 501 User name too large

From: Andreas Priebe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 11:13:17 +0100 (CET)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi,

when connecting to my ftp-gw and giving a (not so) long destination,
e.g. to machines in sus-sub-domains I get the "501 User name too large":

Name (zerberus:priebe): [email-masked]
501 User name too large
Login failed.
ftp> 

The message obviously comes from a simple check in cmd_authorize() in
ftp-gw/ftp-gw.c in line 771 (note: i have the enhanced PASV support -
so yours may vary):

       if(strlen(av[1]) > 24)
                return(sayn(0,nbad,sizeof(nbad)-1));

Any chance to increase this without breaking others thinks or standards?

TIA
Andreas
-- 
****************************************************************************
* Andreas Priebe                E-Mail:   [email-masked] *
* Promos consult GmbH & Co KG   Tel/FAX:             030 243 117 -13 / -29 *
****************************************************************************

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 09:17:15 -0500

>Name (zerberus:priebe): [email-masked]

You're authenticating this connection (inferred since you're getting into 
cmd_authorize().)

You should be providing just your firewall authentication username at the 
"Name" prompt. Authenticate to the proxy, then connect to the destination 
using 'user [email-masked]'.
          -Rick