Subject: suppress .vbs attachements

From: Frederic Le Bastard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 09:10:27 +0100

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hello,

We have recentely been infected with a loveletter.vbs-like worm.
I was wondering on how to setup smap/smapd or sendmail so that .vbs
attachments would automatically be rejected.
Any pointers on this ?

Thanks in advance

Fred

---

From: Jan Muenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:32:59 +0000

Hi,

> attachments would automatically be rejected.

Try using something like amavis along with smap/sendmail.
-- 
Radio HUNDERT,6 Medien GmbH Berlin
- EDV -
[email-masked]

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:59:40 -0500 (EST)

Frederic,

I've done this using two methods - 

1. Implemented the sendmail filters as posted by Bennett Samowich
<[email-masked]>

2. Implemented content filtering in the smap code.

The sendmail filters listed above are basic C code - using the still
somewhat experimental filtering features in sendmail 8.10.x and higher
releases.  I use this type of technology to eliminate both various
extentions (.vbs) as well as specific other nusance viruses
(natividad.exe).

I tend to run the sendmail filters on an internal e-mail hub - thus
keeping the firewall simple and sweet.  But there is nothing preventing
running these on the firewall system.

hope this helps

ted keller