Subject: Need to Ping outside the FireWall

From: "Dirk Breeuwer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:57:39 -0600

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

How can I keep track of Routers that are behind my "FireWall". Every
thing is OK when polling inside the FW, but no luck outside it.

Scenario:

 *Windows 2000 Srvr.
 *FireWall based on Linux Server with TIS FWToolKit
 *Polling Successfully Routers in the Inner network
 *Intending to Poll Routers in the Outer Network

Thanks

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:27:27 -0500

On Tue, Dec 19, 2000 at 12:57:39PM -0600, Dirk Breeuwer wrote:
...
>  *Intending to Poll Routers in the Outer Network

Linux has several mechanisms for allowing it to filter through IP.  I
believe that the latest non-beta one was ip-chains.  There has also
been ip-filter and ip-fw, and a new one is coming out "soon".  I have
not played with these, as I do not LIKE my firewall to be letting
through such things.  However, if you look for a LINUX-FIREWALL HOWTO,
it should tell you how.  Be sure to set the configuration EXACTLY the
way you want it, because otherwise this might allow penetration.  E.g.,
don't just allow 'ping's blindly through any which way.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.