Subject: FWTK-License and Training

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:04:43 +0100

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Dear List,

I am giving training classes for which I receive money covering Linux Firewalling in Germany. I would like to include the TIS FWTK in these classes. Reading the License I do not really know how far I am allowed to go.
May I mention the TIS FWTK in class and courseware?
May I explain how to use the TIS FWTK in class and courseware?
	How to install, configure, troubleshoot the Kit.
May I use the TIS FWTK in class to implement to above explainations?
	So that the students can install, configure and troubleshoot themselves.

Anybody there that can shed some light?
Kind Regards,

Ralf Spenneberg
-- 
Ralf Spenneberg
MCSE+I, MCT, RHCE, RHCX, LCP, Linux-Consultant
Waldring 34				48565 Steinfurt
Fon: +49(0)2552 638 755			Fax: +49(0)2552 638 757
Mobil: +49(0)177 567 27 40		http://www.spenneberg.com/.net/.org/.de

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 06:20:55 -0500

First, a disclaimer. I don't speak for NAI. Any "official" word on their 
policy would have to come from them.

At 07:04 AM 12/13/00 +0100, [email-masked] wrote:
>I am giving training classes for which I receive money covering Linux 
>Firewalling in Germany. I would like to include the TIS FWTK in these 
>classes. Reading the License I do not really know how far I am allowed to go.

That's not a problem. In fact, I've done this myself in a firewalls course.

>         How to install, configure, troubleshoot the Kit.

This is still probably OK if the FWTK is a small part of the overall 
course. That is, the purpose of the course is not to sell training on how 
to use FWTK. If the purpose is to teach students on how to build a firewall 
with FWTK providing a few additional features (like authenticated Telnet), 
that's probably OK. You're coming close to the edge of prohibited activity, 
though.

>         So that the students can install, configure and troubleshoot 

Yes, also probably OK. The same caveats exist as above.

The purpose of the FWTK license is to restrict people from making a 
business around FWTK. This was brought upon us by the morons who installed 
firewalls using FWTK, then told their "customers" that [email-masked] 
was who they turned to for support. It doesn't seem to me that what you're 
doing rises anywhere near that level of abuse.

I'd send an e-mail to NAI saying what you're going to do with a "silence 
means permission" clause. Save the mail and go teach.
         -Rick