Subject: Re: content filter for http, ftp and mail

From: Frank Neuber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 14:24:26 +0100 (CET)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Jonathan Wilson wrote:

Hi Jonathan,
thanks for your mail ...

> Well, if you are willing to do the homework you can run Squid on your
> firewall instead of the fwtk http proxies. This opens you up for a
> world of security problems if you're not careful... but I think that
Yes I will :-)

> it can be done if you _are_ careful. Squid can do all kinds of
> filtering of http access. We're using it to prevent users from surfing
> porn sites, connecting to napster, listening to broadcast music, and
> other bandwidth-sucking wastes of time.
AFAIK napster and broadcast music using different ports then port 80
(http). There is no problem in blocking these ports using ipchais under
linux.
Blocking url's can be done with e.g. WebFilter, httpf or junkbuster

What I want to do is checking the content on html-pages (and e-mail and
ftp) for indecent words. 

I think scanning viruses for mail, http and ftp could be done with 
the VirusWall from TrendMicro.

regards
Frank 

-- 
     _/_/_/_/ _//   _/ Frank Neuber
    _/       _/_/  _/  [email-masked] (private)
   _/_/_/   _/ _/ _/
  _/       _/  _/_/    [email-masked]
 _/       _/    // http://www.opensource-systemberatung.de