Subject: Firewall as gateway

From: "Thomas Off" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:17:42 +0100

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hello!

I have installed FWTK v2.1 on a SuSE Linux 6.3 System and everything works fine if I set the proxies separate on the NT machines in our intranet. But if I change the network settings to pint to the firewall as standard gateway, there is no incoming traffic on the firewall (i.e. no proxy requests are logged). What do I have to do/change or is this just not possible.

Regards,
 Thomas Off

---

From: Jan Muenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:05:37 +0000

Hi,

> I have installed FWTK v2.1 on a SuSE Linux 6.3 System and everything works fine if I set the proxies separate on the NT machines in our intranet. But if I change the network settings to pint to the…

I don't quite get the point. An application layer gateway like
the FWTK is not routing any packets, so you can hardly use it as
a default gateway. The traffic is decoded on the application
layer and then the valid requests are handed on to the outside
servers - that's what proxies are all about. 

So if you want to use the FWTK, tell your clients to use your
FWTK host as a proxy for the relevant services. 

And if you have packet forwarding enabled on the FWTK host
GODDAMN SWITCH IT OFF!!!

Cheers, Jan
-- 
Radio HUNDERT,6 Medien GmbH Berlin
- EDV -
[email-masked]