Subject: IM through proxy

From: Don <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 12:47:29 -0500

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Does anyone know if Instant Messangers work through the FWTK?  Not that
I've installed and configured the FWTK on my Linux RedHat 6.2 server,
Yahoo IM no longer connects.

Actually, it tries to connect, appears to connect and then immediately
disconnects.  I say the it "appears" to connect because while I don't
see any indication of this, others online tell me that they see me light
up for a second.

---

From: "Ken Long" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:54:29 -0700

AOL IM works so good through my FWTK box that I couldn't block it if I wanted 
to! I tell it to use an https proxy and it slips right through. I've never 
played with Yahoo IM.  

Ken Long

---

From: David Lang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 16:20:50 -0800 (PST)

the only way to block AIM is to block all access to those IP addresses

other then that AIM will go through any outbound proxy you have unless it
changes the data as it goes through or strictly enforces the protocol
rules (and in the case of HTTP even that is not enough)

 David Lang

On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Ken Long wrote:

> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 14:54:29 -0700
> From: Ken Long <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: IM through proxy
>