Subject: Re: your mail

From: "Mr Harold" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:10:05 -0800

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]
Hi,

Has anyone seen the following message on 2.1 running on RedHat 6.2 ?

Jan 30 05:24:41 jerry inetd[371]: www/tcp server failing (looping or being flooded), service terminated for 10 min

This is my entry in the /etc/inetd.conf

www stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/in.http-gw in.http-gw

I'm using a link back back to the original file.

ls -sl /usr/sbin/*http*

0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Jan 14 17:51 /usr/sbin/in.http-gw -> /usr/local/etc/http-gw

Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:57:06 -0500 (EST)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

You may want to run http-gw from daemon mode instead of inetd mode.
Alternatively, you can specify the number of connections you will allow
inetd to start for a particular service during a one second (?) interval
in inetd.conf.

inetd has default predefined limits on the number of activiations
permitted.  If these thresholds are exceeded, inetd assumes your machine
is under attack - and as a precaution - refuses additional connections for
that service.

This model breaks down for protocols like http - since each little object
represents yet another new connections.  It is easy to exceed these
thresholds on relatively lightly loaded machines.

By using the deamon model, you can completely skip the inetd limitations.

ted keller

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Mr Harold wrote:

> [To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users"
> in the BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].] Hi,
> Jan 30 05:24:41 jerry inetd[371]: www/tcp server failing (looping or
> being flooded), service terminated for 10 min
> ________________________________________________________________________________
>