Subject: RTSP proxy

From: "Larry Jackson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:39:37 -0500

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I've been considering adding the RTSP proxy to my personal CableModem
OpenBSD firewall.

Any concerns or suggestions?

Should I use the stock reference proxy or is there a better on for FWTK?

Thanks,
[email-masked]

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:01:12 -0500 (EST)

The RTSP proxy does not have support to limit who connects and who
proxies.  If you run this on your firewall - you will permit inbound as
well as outbound connections for this service.  May not be what you want
to do.

Also, the rtpd proxy is fairly complex codes.  It opens bi-directional udp
tunnels on the fly.... and other elegant feature - neat but hard to
validate from a security standpoint.

I've implemented this type of proxy on an internal machine ... behind a
socks server on the firewall.  It is fairly easy to "socksify" this code.
The socks server deals with the connection issues - allowing the traffic
to be carried to the backend server as required....

ted keller