Subject: SMAP issues

From: "Nixon, Anthony" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:09:50 -0500

Hello,
I am trying to get smap/sendmail working. I can send outbound without a
problem. But inbound mail does not seem to work. I am using the  split DNS
model (firewall is primary outside and resolv.conf points to primary inside)
and have followed the FAQ on the FWTK website. I have tried to use a
mailertable without success. Smap does receive the message, but does not
deliver it and returns a message to the sender like below (I have altered
the users email address). I think (not an expert here) that it is trying to
process to mail locally to the firewall, but do not know how to tell it to
just forward to mail to the internal mail server. There is an MX record on
the internal DNS server that points to the internal email server. This is a
desperate problem for me as I am trying to go live with this firewall and am
already several weeks behind. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
I have also included the sendmail.cf file for review if that is a possible
problem.

The original message was received at Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:32:35 -0500
from uucp@localhost

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<[email-masked]>
(reason: 550 5.1.1 User unknown)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
550 5.1.1 <[email-masked]>... User unknown

Reporting-MTA: dns; fw3.midrex.com
Arrival-Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:32:35 -0500

Final-Recipient: RFC822; [email-masked]
Action: failed
Status: 5.1.1
Diagnostic-Code: X-Unix; 550 5.1.1 User unknown
Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 09:32:36 -0500

--- Start of the Attached Message ---

# From message log:
Jan 24 09:34:06 fw3 smapd[12964]: discarding (no user) pid=12965 code=67
Jan 24 09:34:06 fw3 smapd[12964]: delivered file=sma012959 pid=12965 code=67
Jan 24 09:34:19 fw3 smap[12966]: connect host=po2.thetrip.com/205.169.236.32
Jan 24 09:34:20 fw3 smap[12966]: host=po2.thetrip.com/205.169.236.32
bytes=11635 from=<[email-masked]> to=<[email-masked]>
Jan 24 09:34:20 fw3 smap[12966]: exiting host=po2.thetrip.com/205.169.236.32
bytes=11635

Regards - Shon Nixon

  <<sendmail.cf>>

---

From: Tor Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:05:12 -0800

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Try running:

  sendmail -bt -d21.12

Then put:

  3,0 [email-masked]

at the '> ' prompt.

You'll probably see that sendmail is trying to deliver the message
locally (as you've already guessed).

I use a mailertable.  I have a line like:

  midrex.com          smtp:[my-internal-smart-relay.midrex.com]

That will work _if_ you've made the db hash properly and your
sendmail.cf is configured to use the mailertable hash.  You can
confirm that it's working by using the above test.

The hash can be made like so:

  makemap hash ./mailertable.db <./mailertable

I gen my sendmail.cf using m4.  Using this technique, this line will
activate the mailertable:

  FEATURE(mailertable)

If you are not using m4, I suggest you try it.  I'm not sure how to
edit sendmail.cf by hand to activate the mailertable.

Alternatively, this line in sendmail.cf _might_ work:

  DRmy-internal-smart-relay.midrex.com

Hope this helps.

- Tor