Subject: error message after 2.9 patch being applied

From: "Barreira, Fernando [IT]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:06:00 -0500

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

hi there,

i have applied the fwtk patch 2.9 so that data port 20 is used instead of a
random port. after testing, i noticed the machine still uses a random port,
also noticed on the loge file a messages is being logged:

Jan  3 14:02:45 ftpproxy1 ftp-gw[989]: fwtksyserr: bind failed: Permission
denied 

does anyone know what this message means and if it has anything to do with
the patch 2.9.

thanks.

---

From: Michel Bardiaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 16:26:43 +0100

> does anyone know what this message means and if it has anything to do with

It usually means an attempt by a non-root process to bind to a
privileged port (low number). Do you run fwtk processes as 'nobody'?

-- 
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Rue Margot, 37  B-1457 Nil St Vincent
Tel : +32 10 65.44.15  Fax : +32 10 65.44.10