Subject: RE: SMAP/SMAPD virus scan question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:28:44 -0500

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

> Is anybody successfully using smap/smapd with virus scanning? 

Yes, but only on Gauntlet, not TIS FWTK :-).

(On Gauntlet, the NAI/McAfee engine is built in -- just turn it on, no 
additional components required, works great).

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:52:53 -0500

> additional components required, works great).

No, several people have successfully inserted virus scanners betwen
'smap' and 'smapd' in FWTK.  This is not a great feat of engineering.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:52:24 +0300

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

nuqneH,

It is, if you are not going to run virus scanner on firewall itself (and you
are probably not, because it is big untrusted binary)

What we really do need is client-server protocol, like CVP but open one.

> 'smap' and 'smapd' in FWTK.  This is not a great feat of engineering.

                                     _     _  _  _  _      _  _
 {::} {::} {::}  CU in Hell          _| o |_ | | _|| |   / _||_|   |_ |_ |_
 (##) (##) (##)        /Arkan#iD    |_  o  _||_| _||_| /   _|  | o |_||_||_|
 [||] [||] [||]            Do i believe in Bible? Hell,man,i've seen one!

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:50:52 -0500 (EST)

I agree.  Virus scanners should be run behind the firewall on some
mail-hub machine - prior to delivery to your internal e-mail system.  The
firewall must be kept simple - or security issues will creep in.

ted keller

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 [email-masked] wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: PGP 6.5.1i
> 
> iQCVAwUBOogw56H/mIJW9LeBAQFBRwP/WqPfAdOsbDn31rOIrZVMid4zbykL9b2R
> ZBLJRnUU/sZNFKVIIecaWHy3muZpgDiu4KSgb/Kn9lWJ0mq3Fadg0aDV8v3oBy1E
> kcKAqlajOKvI9MsKGNzomCLA3kiaaYmxGPm6wMBgrN1TvUrGMnwl+QyAzr2OviWu
> PFRvq+FXmrA=
> =upbe
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>