Subject: smap issue

From: "Luis Fernando Barrera" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 13:43:09 -0600

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi all,

I'm having the following problem:

When someone behind the firewall sends an email message to a non-existent
user,
like [email-masked] or to a non-existen domaind, let's say
[email-masked];
he or she doesn't receive any notification about the problem.

I saw in the logfile that when smapd, tries to connect back to the mail
server, to inform
the user about the non-existen user/domain, the mail server answer "service
unavailable".

Any ideas...

Thanks

Luis Fernando Barrera
[email-masked]

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 17:47:12 -0500 (EST)

Luis,

Try telneting to you mail server on port 25 and see if it responds.  YOu
may not have the service running?

tek

---

From: "Luis Fernando Barrera" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:09:37 -0600

Yes, the service is running... In fact I can send/receive email without
any problem...
The problem is when I send an email to a non-existent user in other domain
(like [email-masked]); I should (I guess) receive a notificaction about the
non-existent user.

I also noticed that smap (maybe it is sendmail) creates a file called
"dead.letter" in the /var/tmp directory. Into that
file there are all the messages I should receive about the non-existent user
or domain.

I'm thinking it is a problem of the mail server, but I don't have a clue,
since the normally all
the emaill messages pass through ok.

Luis

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ted Keller [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, February 09, 2001 4:47 PM
> To: Luis Fernando Barrera
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: smap issue
>
>
> Luis,
>

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 20:46:37 -0500 (EST)

Louis,

Do you have the postmaster alias defined in your aliase table?  I'm
wondering if the unknown user return is actually occuring - but your local
sendmail doesn't know what to do with it?

ted keller