Subject: SMAP/SMAPD virus scan question

From: "Todd Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:55:34 -0500

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Forgive me for this is slightly off topic, but...

Is anybody successfully using smap/smapd with virus scanning?  I looked into
AMaViS a while ago, and it looks okay.  I had some difficulties in getting
it to work with smap/smapd correctly, and gave up after several hours of
working on it and reconfiguring it to try to get it to work properly.  My
virus scanner of choice is NAI/McAfee's uvscan.  Is there anybody out there
running AMaViS that might be willing to share some configuration tips, or
are there any other good suggestions for a virus scanner that will integrate
into the TIS FWTK smap/smapd compiled on Redhat 5.x/6.x?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

---

From: "John Welch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:43:40 -0500

Todd,
   I recently set up virus scanning on my TIS firewall using AMaViS and
NAI/McAfee's uvscan.  My firewall server has RedHat 6.2 for the OS.  Not
being an expert C programmer I did not want to get into hacking the
smap/smapd code.  Figuring that smap/smapd eventually passes the message on
to sendmail (at least in my environment) I simply followed the installation
instructions for using AMaViS with sendmail.  I was missing a couple of the
required pieces of software, but I just followed the links on the
installation instructions page to get them.  I didn't have any problems
installing any of the required software or the AMaViS program itself.  I'm
not sure if this is the ideal setup, but I do know that it has already
caught several incoming viruses so it is better than what I had before,
which was nothing.

John Welch
Systems Analyst
Brockway-Smith Co.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Todd Williams
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2001 3:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SMAP/SMAPD virus scan question

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in
the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Thanks in advance,

Todd