Subject: Ports

From: "David Furlong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:36:27 +0000

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

After doing a quick port scan on my proxy server, using nmap
it came back with the following
    25/tcp smtp             
    53/tcp domain          53/udp domain
                          123/udp ntp
                          514/udp syslog
   515/tcp printer 
1080/tcp socks
2766/tcp listen 
This is running on a solaris 2.6 machine, which has squid, tis for 
ftp, and news, socks running on it.
I know the ports open above are not entirely safe, and was wondering 
should I also proxy them using TIS, should they be disabled, (and if 
so how, inetd isn't used I think) and are they safe??

If this isn't a question for the fwtk mailing list, could someone 
point me to a better newsgroup for dealing with this kind of problem

And lastly, are there other utilities I should use to test my 
firewall / proxy machine.

Regards and thanks
Dave 

_____________________________________

Get your free E-mail at http://www.ireland.com