Subject: Problem using smap, smapd and sendmail

From: Matthias Függer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 21:13:25 +0200

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

I've got a problem using smap, smapd and sendmail:

I have installed TIS-FWTK on my computer, a PC 350MHz, running Linux (SuSE
7.0). It is used as a proxy server and firewall for my internal network
(containing Macs and Windows PCs).
Furthermore the newest version of sendmail is installed on the Linux PC.
When I tried to use smap to send mail from an internal PC, the mail is
stored on the firewall in the "/usr/spool/smapd" directory, 2 transcript
files are made ("pff34FPoK00789" and "qff34FPoK00789", which are stored in
"/usr/spool/mqueue", with a message in "qff34....":

MCan't create transcript file ./xff34FPoK00789 : Permission denied

When I run "sendmail -q" it produces the same error.

I ran "chown uucp /usr/spool/smapd", too and did the same with all other
directories and files, recommanded by the manual too, but I couldn't get rid
of the error-message.

Thank you in advance!

			Matthias Fuegger
			([email-masked])

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 20:23:23 -0400 (EDT)

Matthias,

This appears to be a sendmail issue... the xff34FPoK00789 is essential a
lock file sendmail creates while actually processing (for sending) the
mail to a remote host.  Sendmail often forks - or otherwise runs a new
copy of its self.  I wonder if it is running as someone other than root?

ted keller