Subject: Port

From: Fritsch Jonathan D CONT PSNS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:19:04 -0700

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

  What file do I need to modify to open all my port or allow traffic though,
and what do I need to say in the file to allow port 1 though 65535 to be
open?

Thankx,
  Jonathan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:08:42 -0000 (GMT)

> and what do I need to say in the file to allow port 1 though 65535 to

You can't. The thing with application level gateways such as the fwtk
is they don't forward packets at the transport layer, i.e. on the IP
layer itself. An fwtk host is not a router, thus you can't just heave
arbitrary packets to certain ports to the other interface. You might
take a look at plug-gw for allowing certain additional services. 

Bye, Jan

-- 
Radio HUNDERT,6 Medien GmbH Berlin
- EDV -
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:55:24 -0000 (GMT)

Bye, Jan

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:45:21 -0400

> > and what do I need to say in the file to allow port 1 though 65535 to

You take your firewall, dump it in the nearest trash can, and replace
it with a piece of copper wire.

What did you think a firewall did?  It's not magic.  If you want to
leave yourself open to any random network probe, which is to say to all
attacks, then just don't use a firewall.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:08:42 -0000 (GMT)

Bye, Jan

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:55:24 -0000 (GMT)

Bye, Jan