Subject: queue filling up... I/O errors

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:33:00 -0000 (GMT)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hello everybody,

I am encountering pretty heavy problems with smap / smapd /sendmail.
While my config generally works flawlessly, messages to a couple of
hosts seem to time out during data transfer. I can easily reach the
relevant mail exchangers and since it's clearly not a length-based
problem, I don't think my ip-filter config is the culprit. If this were
the case, it should work during the next re-send, which it doesn't. 

A lot of these mails go out to yahoo and from the list archive I could
there have already been problems reported with them. Unfortunately it's
not yahoo exclusively, neither can I lock it down to one certain MTA
smap doesn't like talking to. 

Mysteriously, some mails are being sent without any problems while
others land in the queue because of I/O errors or timeouts or
connection resets. This seems to happen especially with forwarded
messages, but then again, not exclusively. 

I am totally clueless. 

>From the sendmail homepage I could tell there were certain
incompatibilities reported - I couldn't find any specific for OpenBSD
2.8 and the sendmail version that comes shipped with it (is there a
simple way to find out which version it is?). 

Is this maybe a platform-related problem? Anyone else using OpenBSD
2.8??

I'll attach my queue output to illustrate the issue. Maybe some of you
have problem with certain of the listed hosts as well. 

This is really giving me a bad headache, so I'm very grateful for every
helpful hint. FWTK version's 2.1, of course, smap has the Yao-patch
applied. 

Cheers, Jan

                /var/spool/mqueue (28 requests)
----Q-ID---- --Size-- -----Q-Time-----
------------Sender/Recipient------------
f3JEIu417172*   20484 Thu Apr 19 16:18 <[email-masked]>
                 (I/O error)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3JEluw31730   104950 Thu Apr 19 16:47 <[email-masked]>
                 (I/O error)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3JD1OA03796   100026 Thu Apr 19 15:01 <[email-masked]>
                 (Warning: could not send message for past 4 hours)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3JBdqj18237*    1634 Thu Apr 19 13:39 <[email-masked]>
                 (<[email-masked]>... reply: read error from
mail.atkon.)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3JBSMJ13484     1361 Thu Apr 19 13:28 <[email-masked]>
                 (Deferred: 451 Timeout)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3JBZqe31960     1387 Thu Apr 19 13:35 <[email-masked]>
                 (I/O error: Input/output error)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3J7JWx06867      700 Thu Apr 19 09:19 <[email-masked]>
                 (Deferred: Connection timed out with
mx2.mail.yahoo.com.)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3J7obb25545    14271 Thu Apr 19 09:50 MAILER-DAEMON
      8BITMIME   (Deferred: Connection refused by gs3.serverdienst.de.)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3J701129967     1359 Thu Apr 19 09:00 <[email-masked]>
                 (Deferred: Connection timed out with
mx2.mail.yahoo.com.)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3J6sVa30689     1385 Thu Apr 19 08:54 <[email-masked]>
                 (I/O error: Input/output error)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3J23Qx08220    17448 Thu Apr 19 04:03 MAILER-DAEMON
                 (I/O error)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3IGTCe27668    13212 Wed Apr 18 18:29 MAILER-DAEMON
                 (host map: lookup (Advisor.net): deferred)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3IEHdD14321    20811 Wed Apr 18 16:17 <[email-masked]>
                 (I/O error)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3ID37T00078*    1379 Wed Apr 18 15:03 <[email-masked]>
                 (Deferred: Connection reset by mail.snafu.de.)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3IBQ5v00150   220116 Wed Apr 18 13:26 <[email-masked]>
      8BITMIME   (I/O error)
                                      
<[email-masked]>
f3I8B1J07959     1067 Wed Apr 18 10:11 <[email-masked]>
                 (<[email-masked]>... reply: read error from
velma.s)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3I710800841   645910 Wed Apr 18 09:01 <[email-masked]>
                 (I/O error)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3HFXeP15290     1067 Tue Apr 17 17:33 <[email-masked]>
                 (Deferred: Connection reset by velma.seeglasgow.com.)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3HD6Zu11150     1305 Tue Apr 17 15:06 <[email-masked]>
      8BITMIME   (<[email-masked]>... reply: read error from
mail.b)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3HCnZS29113*    1528 Tue Apr 17 14:49 <[email-masked]>
                 (<[email-masked]>... reply: read error from
mail.bigfoot.)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3HBlYb06640      721 Tue Apr 17 13:47 <[email-masked]>
                 (Deferred: 451 Timeout)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3H9ssR29880     1410 Tue Apr 17 11:54 <[email-masked]>
                 (<[email-masked]>... reply: read error from
mx2.ma)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3H8tNt02532   218604 Tue Apr 17 10:55 <[email-masked]>
      8BITMIME   (I/O error)
                                      
<[email-masked]>
f3H7bL902824      720 Tue Apr 17 09:37 <[email-masked]>
                 (Deferred: Connection timed out with
mx2.mail.yahoo.com.)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3H6roa11291   642351 Tue Apr 17 08:53 <[email-masked]>
                 (I/O error)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3H6toA12584   642555 Tue Apr 17 08:55 <[email-masked]>
                 (I/O error)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3G8Ur316379      977 Mon Apr 16 10:30 <[email-masked]>
      8BITMIME   (Deferred: Connection timed out with
mx2.mail.yahoo.com.)
                                       <[email-masked]>
f3FJo4x17545*  900736 Sun Apr 15 21:50 <>
                 (I/O error)
                                       <[email-masked]>

-- 
Radio HUNDERT,6 Medien GmbH Berlin
- EDV -
[email-masked]