Subject: legacy code - what was it for?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 20:55:18 +0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

nuqneH,

I've noticed that tn-gw expects the following responces from authentication
server for auth command:
ok
display
challenge (*)
chalnecho
password (*)

only marked with (*) are implemented in authsrv (both Gauntlet and fwtk), 
two others are obvious, but what was `display' for?

                                     _     _  _  _  _      _  _
 {::} {::} {::}  CU in Hell          _| o |_ | | _|| |   / _||_|   |_ |_ |_
 (##) (##) (##)        /Arkan#iD    |_  o  _||_| _||_| /   _|  | o |_||_||_|
 [||] [||] [||]            Do i believe in Bible? Hell,man,i've seen one!

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:20:34 -0400

>two others are obvious, but what was `display' for?
There are authentication protocols that need to send extended prompts to 
the user.
The one that comes to mind immediately is SecurID in new-PIN mode. It wants 
to send a multi-line prompt to the user containing instructions on the new PIN.
         -Rick

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:35:55 +0400

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

nuqneH,

> to send a multi-line prompt to the user containing instructions on the new PIN.

Nope, does not look like that..

 		if(!strncmp(buf,"display ", 8)) {
                                strcpy(cbuf, &buf[8]);
                                x = strlen(cbuf);
                                if(sayn(0,cbuf,x))
                                        goto close_go;
                                strcpy(cbuf,"response dummy");
                                if(auth_send(cbuf))
                                        goto lostconn;
                                continue;

                                     _     _  _  _  _      _  _

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:20:01 -0400

>                                 strcpy(cbuf,"response dummy");

Well, it may not look like that, but that's exactly what this is used for. 
See securid.c at around line 78 - you'll see several "display" commands.

The authentication program (securid.c) sends a "display" command. Authsrv 
reads it, cuts off the "display " portion, then echoes it to the user (the 
"sayn" call.) Then, it sends a response back, which isn't used. (All 
authsrv <-> token program communications are command/response, so we need 
to provide a response even though it's not used.)
         -Rick