Subject: Re: New version, when ?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:13:46 +0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

nuqneH,

I am not sure it is bad thing.

Michel Bardiaux <[email-masked]> said :
 
> [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> > > That is if you want something GPL.
> > 
> > I'd say i want something BSD. GPL is too restrictive ;)
> > 
> Please consider LGPL. BSD has the (to me) extremely irritating feature
> that it allows proprietary, closed, *incompatible* derivatives.

                                     _     _  _  _  _      _  _
 {::} {::} {::}  CU in Hell          _| o |_ | | _|| |   / _||_|   |_ |_ |_
 (##) (##) (##)        /Arkan#iD    |_  o  _||_| _||_| /   _|  | o |_||_||_|
 [||] [||] [||]            Do i believe in Bible? Hell,man,i've seen one!

---

From: Michel Bardiaux <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:48:39 +0200

> > that it allows proprietary, closed, *incompatible* derivatives.

IMNSHO I am *quite* sure it is. I was burned several times:

(1) I had been using the SGI release of the JPEG library; it had a
memory leak; I submitted bug reports, my own patches, test harnesses, no
cigar: after 2 years and one major OS release it was still not fixed
(not even acknowledged!). Then I switched to the source of the public
JPEG library.

(2) SGI (and others) have been shipping Motif1.2 only for *years* after
2.1 was released by OSF. But since the SGI X and Motif libraries had
proprietary stuff in them, it was impossible to use anything else on
their systems. Particularly, installation of Lesstif (the LGPL
implementation of the OSF Motif specs) was impossible because it was
impossible to make it binary-compatible with SGI stuff.

I really don't care about software "free as free beer", and I don't
share the Stallman/Raymond ideology on free software (to me, a cathedral
is a thing of beauty, and a bazaar is a stinking mess). I want *source*
because it is the *only* effective way to guarantee that support for
critical pieces of software can be done in-house if the supplier screws
up his job. Hence, GPL or LGPL, but not BSD. And GPL is not really good
either because it tends to exclude cooperation from corporations.

Kaplah :-)
-- 
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Rue Margot, 37  B-1457 Nil St Vincent
Tel : +32 10 65.44.15  Fax : +32 10 65.44.10