Subject: (Fwd) Re: dealing with mail to non-existant accounts

From: "Ken Long" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 18:17:34 -0700

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

(I accidently sent this to Wes' private address. Why do some public email 
lists have the reply-to set to the author instead of the list?)

Hi Wes,

I use the spam-block feature in netperm-table to deny delivery to ex-
employees like this:

# These people are no longer with the company.
# The wildcards are necessary.
smap:           spam-block deny * [email-masked]*
smap:           spam-block deny * [email-masked]*
smap:           spam-block deny * [email-masked]*

This returns an immediate error to the sender and doesn't bother me with 
undesired host unknown messages. My blocks have grown to about 20 entries so 
far.

I'm using smap 2.1 plus the Yao patches.

Regards,
Ken Long

On 25 May 2001, at 9:20, Wes Szumera wrote:

> What is the best way(s) to deal with users that leave as far as e-mail 
> is concerned.  I deleted the mail accounts of some people that 
> recently left us but now get a host unknown message when mail 
> makes it to the internal mail server that no longer has an acount and 
> then tryies to return it to the originating address in the e-mail that 
> really doesn't exist since most of this is spam, opt-in spam, ect that 
> has an address you can't reply to.