Subject: dealing with mail to non-existant accounts

From: "Wes Szumera" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:44:04 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

What is the best way(s) to deal with users that leave as far as e-mail 
is concerned.  I deleted the mail accounts of some people that 
recently left us but now get a host unknown message when mail 
makes it to the internal mail server that no longer has an acount and 
then tryies to return it to the originating address in the e-mail that 
really doesn't exist since most of this is spam, opt-in spam, ect that 
has an address you can't reply to.

It is getting a bit anoying and since smap is accepting the mail, the 
junk mailers keep sending the stuff.  What is best way to block.  We 
are talking about 9 or 10 people tops.

Thanks,

WEs

Wes Szumera                    

Plant Engineer           
Eagle Trim Inc.  
0829 US 131 NW
Kalkaska, MI  49646-0460

voice 231 258 4150 ext 3024
fax   231 258 4153

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:44:16 -0400 (EDT)

Wes,

I implemented a "blocking" mechanism in smap.   This allows from/to
combinations for blocking mail of this type.  Simple entries like
<*>	<[email-masked]>

will have smap respond back with user unknown to the sender and never
accept the e-mail.

I borrowed this code off of someone else and integrated it into the smap
code.  I can supply if you are interested.

ted keller

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:38:02 -0400

> are talking about 9 or 10 people tops.

Get sendmail 8.11.3 on your internal mail server.  In addition to all
of the security features, the M4 config file builder [which, now that I
understand it better, I heartily recommend] has a LUSER_RELAY.  This
specifies the disposition of e-mail sent to non-accounts.  In
particular, you could set it to "local:trashcan" and have local e-mail
address "trashcan" aliased to '| cat > /dev/null'.

;-)

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:04:34 -0400

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 07:23:20AM -0400, Wes Szumera wrote:
> Date sent:      	Wed, 30 May 2001 16:38:02 -0400
> From:           	Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
> To:             	Wes Szumera <[email-masked]>
> Copies to:      	[email-masked]
> Subject:        	Re: dealing with mail to non-existant accounts
> 
> Thanks.  I tried to use your smam-block settings but ended up 
> blocking email for every one so I went back to where I started. 

You have to read the comments - provide a list of smap domains and smap
hosts that are allowed internally.

>  Someone pointed out something similar to this using aliases to 
> trundle the mail off to the bit bucket.

Yes, with only a handful this approach also works.

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:43:46 -0400 (EDT)

Wes,

My version of the smap code has the ability to block from/to address
combinations - including

<*>	<internal address>

that is - all mail going to the internal address.

I use this effectively to block people who have left our company - or
occationally to block specivic from/to combinations.

ted keller