Subject: Re: Log Files

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:32:32 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 09:22:40AM +0800, Jason Smith wrote:
> What is a DMZ and where are my FWTK log files stored??

There are a couple of different interpretations of "DMZ" [demilitarized
zone, US Army mil-speak] in a firewall setting.  Usually, these days,
it's a network connected to a THIRD interface on your firewall bastion
host:

	THEM [public Internet]
	  |
	router
	  |
	bastion
	 host--------DMZ
	 FWTK
	  |
	router
	  |
	 US [private internet]

The permissions to "US" need to completely exclude any complex service
that might be used to break in, such as HTTP or anything by Microsoft.
The permissions to the DMZ may be less lax: you treat them more or less
as sacrificial lambs that you expect to be attacked.

Note that in the classic Chapman & Zwicky book, the DMZ was everything
between your external router and your internal router, inclusive.  At
least it was in the first edition: I haven't had time for a good
lie-down with the second edition yet.

Your FWTK log files are stored wherever you have them sent.  Look in
/etc/syslog.conf.  They may be in /var/adm/messages, or you may be
sending them to a storage place inside your private LAN.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:09:54 -0000 (GMT)

> that might be used to break in, such as HTTP or anything by

I love that sentence. 

Sorry, had to say that. 
-- 
Radio HUNDERT,6 Medien GmbH Berlin
- EDV -
[email-masked]