Subject: Problems with Attachments

From: "Luis Fernando Barrera" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 09:51:08 -0600

Hi,

I've been using smap for a while now, but recently I had some problems with
the email attachments...

The problem is that sometimes when you try to open an attachment, the
Outlook client
says that it could not open the file because is codified in a
non-understandable format...

I know the codification problems are usual related to the mail clients, but
I've noticed that
if a file is sent to one of my users and also to others users outside my
network, these receive the
attachment well, but my users don't...

Any ideas or experiences with this problem?

Luis Fernando Barrera
[email-masked]

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 16:55:16 -0400 (EDT)

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Luis,

Do you happen to have the smapd patch that runs sendmail with the -if
switch?

ted keller

---

From: "Luis Fernando Barrera" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 15:22:03 -0600

Nope,

I uses the original smap 2.1...

However I have another installation with smtpd/smtpfwdd, which also
happens to have the same problem...

Luis Fernando Barrera
[email-masked]

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ted Keller [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 2:55 PM
> To: Luis Fernando Barrera
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Problems with Attachments
>
>
> Luis,
>

---

From: "Luis Fernando Barrera" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 16:04:25 -0600

Re: Problems with AttachmentsAll my mail clients, use MS Outlook 2000... If
I understad well, this TNEF problem
only applies if I read the email messages using something else, like Eudora,
right?

Luis

  -----Original Message-----
  From: Mike Ingram [mailto:[email-masked]]
  Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 3:27 PM
  To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
  Subject: Re: Problems with Attachments

  I've been running smap for six years or so, and have never identified smap
as having caused an attachment problem.  9 times out of 10, the sending
program is some kind of Microsoft system and it's not properly configured so
that it either sends a TNEF file that nobody else can read, or it decides to
just simply  not even send the attachment....  Result is that other people
on other MS based systems get the attachment just fine, and since we're
running SMAP/SMTP, the attachment never got sent to us...  (makes it hard to
decode when you don't get it ;-)

  I would proceed by getting a copy of one of the "bad" messages before it
ever gets to the pc/outlook program..  do an "od" on the header and see
exactly what you've been sent.. that'll give you a better handle on what
type of decoder you need.

  Also try to capture a copy of it before it ever goes through the
firewall.. maybe have someone that is having the problem ask the sender to
send a copy to you to addresses on both sides of your firewall.... again, do
an "od" and see what they REALLY sent ( and do it on unix using a really
simple Mail program so you will know exactly what they sent you and not what
so pc "thought" was sent !! )

  Then you'll know a bit more....

  An older MS KB article Q185894 described the MS TNEF problem....

  a program called "fentun" deals nicely with TNEF files...

  If you're still not figuring it out, post a bit of the header....

  Mike

    Hi,

    I've been using smap for a while now, but recently I had some problems
with
    the email attachments...

    I know the codification problems are usual related to the mail clients,
but I've noticed that
    if a file is sent to one of my users and also to others users outside my
network, these receive the
    attachment well, but my users don't...

    Luis Fernando Barrera
    [email-masked]

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 23:19:40 -0400 (EDT)

You may want to apply the smapd patch. You may be truncating some
attachments - hence giving you the errors you are seeing.

Just a thought.

ted keller

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 23:19:40 -0400 (EDT)

Just a thought.

ted keller

---

From: Mike Ingram <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 15:31:57 -0700

no, we had the same problem with Outlook clients & Eudora clients... 
Since Outlook and Eudora clients in your setup and mine are on the 
"inside" side of a SMAP/SMTP firewall, the exchange system doesn't 
quite seem them as being "exchange" users and trys to treat them as 
"internet" users and then goes off and does stupid things ( like not 
send the attachment or not send it as a MIME or uuencode attachment 
and sends TNEF )

Fixing some user prefs per the article always fixed the problem... 
might not be what you're seeing.... but it's a thought.

Mike

 >All my mail clients, use MS Outlook 2000... If I understad well, 
 >this TNEF problem
 >only applies if I read the email messages using something else, like 
 >Eudora, right?
 >
 >Luis
 >
 >
 >
 >I've been running smap for six years or so, and have never 
 >identified smap as having caused an attachment problem.  9 times out 
 >of 10, the sending program is some kind of Microsoft system and it's 
 >not properly configured so that it either sends a TNEF file that 
 >nobody else can read, or it decides to just simply  not even send 
 >the attachment....  Result is that other people on other MS based 
 >systems get the attachment just fine, and since we're running 
 >SMAP/SMTP, the attachment never got sent to us...  (makes it hard to 
 >I would proceed by getting a copy of one of the "bad" messages 
 >before it ever gets to the pc/outlook program..  do an "od" on the 
 >header and see exactly what you've been sent.. that'll give you a 
 >better handle on what type of decoder you need.
 >
 >firewall.. maybe have someone that is having the problem ask the 
 >sender to send a copy to you to addresses on both sides of your 
 >firewall.... again, do an "od" and see what they REALLY sent ( and 
 >do it on unix using a really simple Mail program so you will know 
 >exactly what they sent you and not what so pc "thought" was sent !! )
 >
 >The problem is that sometimes when you try to open an attachment, 
 >the Outlook client
 >
 >I know the codification problems are usual related to the mail 
 >clients, but I've noticed that
 >
 >if a file is sent to one of my users and also to others users 
 >outside my network, these receive the
 >

---

From: Mike Ingram <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 14:26:36 -0700

I've been running smap for six years or so, and have never identified 
smap as having caused an attachment problem.  9 times out of 10, the 
sending program is some kind of Microsoft system and it's not 
properly configured so that it either sends a TNEF file that nobody 
else can read, or it decides to just simply  not even send the 
attachment....  Result is that other people on other MS based systems 
get the attachment just fine, and since we're running SMAP/SMTP, the 
attachment never got sent to us...  (makes it hard to decode when you 
don't get it ;-)

I would proceed by getting a copy of one of the "bad" messages before 
it ever gets to the pc/outlook program..  do an "od" on the header 
and see exactly what you've been sent.. that'll give you a better 
handle on what type of decoder you need.

Also try to capture a copy of it before it ever goes through the 
firewall.. maybe have someone that is having the problem ask the 
sender to send a copy to you to addresses on both sides of your 
firewall.... again, do an "od" and see what they REALLY sent ( and do 
it on unix using a really simple Mail program so you will know 
exactly what they sent you and not what so pc "thought" was sent !! )

Mike