Subject: Re: smap anti-spoof

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 20:15:02 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Going back through old mail, I find unanswered:

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 09:53:47AM +0000, Jan Muenther wrote:
...
> I wonder whether the yao-patched smap's default behaviour is to
> reject mail from hosts which cause a name lookup mismatch is to
> reject them...?!
> 
> I currently have problems with one person who's mailserver
> obviously has a different forward / reverse resolution and this
> person is the only one complaining about mail problems. 
> 
> In my system's logfiles I only find messages about a possible
> spoof and it doesn't look like mail's delivered. From the other
> side, the smtp connection is obviously ended by a 451 error and
> it doesn't look like mail is delivered. Strangely, this only
> seems to occur occasionally, sometimes mail hust gets through...
> any hints?

Default behaviour is to print the warning message and deliver anyway.
IIRC, you can choose to reject.

Let's see: from the commentary,
**	  451 Requested action aborted: error in processing

For which there are many reasons, easily findable in the code.
	- disk write error

OK, I guess not so many.  ;-)

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.