Subject: Gateway Access

From: "Frank Natoli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 20:24:51 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

A few days ago I posted a query regarding running ftp on the gateway/proxy
machine. I was in error. The requirement is, as other more firewall savvy
people guessed, to run ftp on a "secure side" machine, through the
gateway/proxy machine, to a "non-secure side" machine. I must permit "get"
(non-secure to secure) but no "put" (secure to non-secure) transfers.

If I understand the ftp-gw proxy operation correctly, I need to forbid
"put", "mput" and "send" operations from the "secure" side. ftp-gw.c sees
the operation names as they're moved, so interception and manipulation is
straightforward.

Problem for the moment is ftp-gw's use of function oktotalkto(). I can put a
"secure" machine in netperm-table, allowing it access to the gateway/proxy.
But I don't want to allow "non-secure" machines access. When ftp-gw attempts
to setup a connection, it fails because oktotalkto() denies the remote host.

Should I simply supress the call to oktotalkto() for the remote host?

Thanks.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 19:03:30 +0400

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

nuqneH,

What for? It is just the purpose of oktotalkto() function - to control
access for incoming connections. What's wrong with it?

> Should I simply supress the call to oktotalkto() for the remote host?

                                     _     _  _  _  _      _  _
 {::} {::} {::}  CU in Hell          _| o |_ | | _|| |   / _||_|   |_ |_ |_
 (##) (##) (##)        /Arkan#iD    |_  o  _||_| _||_| /   _|  | o |_||_||_|
 [||] [||] [||]            Do i believe in Bible? Hell,man,i've seen one!