Subject: Old version of FWTK 2.1?

From: "Frank Natoli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:46:36 -0400

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Recently downloaded "current" FWTK V2.1. Am porting to Linux 7.1. Have found
it necessary to modify many sources and makefiles simply to compile, link
and install without error. TIS documents that all firewall modules compile
and link (though were not tested) under Linux. Worried that I have "bad"
copy. Please comment.

[Makefile.config.linux]

XLIBDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib (not /usr/X11/lib)

[auth/db.c]

#include <db1/ndbm.h> (not simply <ndbm.h>)

[tools/server/ftpd/glob.c]

Had to remove fstat(dirp->dd_fd, &stb) and subsequent isdir(stb) because
Linux explicitly leaves internal structure of DIR undefined. Additionally,
preceding opendir(path) would fail if argument was not a directory, thus
making the fstat/isdir superfluous.

[tools/server/syslogd/Makefile]

Did not provide any install rule, thus causing install of server modules to
abort. Presume following is required:
install:
  $(CP) syslogd $(DEST)

[tools/client/gate-ftp/ftp.c]

Global replace "struct fd_set" with "fd_set".

[tools/client/gate-ftp/glob.c]

Same as above glob.c.

[tools/client/gate-ftp/getpass.c]

"struct sgttyb", TIOCGETP and TIOCSETP not available. Had to substitute
termios equivalents "struct termios", tcgetattr() and tcsetattr().

[tools/client/gate-ftp/Makefile]

ftp rule claims dependency LIBC=/lib/libc.a; file /lib/libc.a not available;
dependency removed and ftp links without error.

man page ftp.1 cannot be installed in non-existent /usr/man/man1; must
reference /usr/share/man/man1.

[tools/client/gate-ftp/main.c]

getservbyname() attempts to find /etc/services rule for ftp:tcp. But upon
installation of FWTK, appropriate rule in /etc/services is changed to
ftp-gw:tcp. Therefore, must modify main.c invocation of getservbyname() to
look for "ftp-gw", not "ftp".

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:38:11 -0400

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 09:46:36AM -0400, Frank Natoli wrote:
...
> and link (though were not tested) under Linux. Worried that I have "bad"

Your version of Linux is many years more recent than the "current"
version of FWTK.  Since TIS was bought by NAI, I haven't seen any
upgrades.  See www.fwtk.org and the mailing list archives for any
support that may have happened.  (Apologies to TISlab folks if I have
missed something; please respond if so.)

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.

---

From: David Lang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 22:09:31 -0700 (PDT)

In addition Redhat 7.x changes a number of things that have been standard
on Linux systems for several years.

David Lang

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:38:11 -0400
> From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
> To: Frank Natoli <[email-masked]>
> Cc: FWTK Users <[email-masked]>, FWTK Support <[email-masked]>,
>      "Tim (Yahoo) Williams" <[email-masked]>,
>      Tim Williams <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: Old version of FWTK 2.1?
>