Subject: FWTK

From: "Mathias Haas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:44:53 +0200

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Never mind that last mail of mine, I solved the problem and ftp-gw works
now. I found out that the netperm-table file I was editing in /etc wasn't
the file ftp-gw was using! :) It was using an identical copy in
/usr/local/etc. It's not easy being new to a program sometimes and to know
where all the config files end up after the installation.

Anyhow, I keep getting all these nice messages when I'm logged in as root.
I'm pretty sure I can find out how to get rid of them, but I feel that I've
spent far too much time on this already - so I'm asking you
pro-shop-bonefide-gurus out there: How do I get rid of this mess:

proxy# Aug 22 15:32:31 proxy ftp-gw[317]: 192.168.100.2 host address lookup
failed
Aug 22 15:32:31 proxy ftp-gw[317]: permit host=unknown/192.168.100.2 use of
gateway
Aug 22 15:32:31 proxy ftp-gw[317]: exit host=unknown/192.168.100.2 cmds=0
in=0 out=0 user=unauth duration=0
Aug 22 15:32:36 proxy ftp-gw[318]: 192.168.100.2 host address lookup failed
Aug 22 15:32:36 proxy ftp-gw[318]: permit host=unknown/192.168.100.2 use of
gateway
Aug 22 15:32:36 proxy ftp-gw[318]: exit host=unknown/192.168.100.2 cmds=0
in=0 out=0 user=unauth duration=0
Aug 22 15:32:41 proxy ftp-gw[319]: 192.168.100.2 host address lookup failed
Aug 22 15:32:41 proxy ftp-gw[319]: permit host=unknown/192.168.100.2 use of
gateway
Aug 22 15:32:41 proxy ftp-gw[319]: exit host=unknown/192.168.100.2 cmds=0
in=0 out=0 user=unauth duration=0

... and instead of writing yet another annoying newbie letter: I've started
ftp-gw from a .sh-file rc.d in FreeBSD in the following way:

/usr/libexec/ftp-gw -daemon 21 && echo -n 'FTP-GW Daemon'

Is this correct? I sort of miss port 20 there, but if I change 21 to "ftp" I
cant log on to the proxy at all, it just times out. So I thought the word
"ftp" only opens port 20 instead...

Argh, confused as usual.
/mathias

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:34:21 -0400

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 03:44:53PM +0200, Mathias Haas wrote:
...
> pro-shop-bonefide-gurus out there: How do I get rid of this mess:

Change your /etc/syslog.conf to not send it to the console, perhaps by
raising the priority of messages to the console.  Then tell 'syslogd'
that you have changed it.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This message is not an official statement of COSPO policies.