Subject: solaris fwtk question ....

From: Geoff Swavley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 10:57:50 +1000

[To be removed from this list send the message "unsubscribe fwtk-users" in the
BODY of a mail message to [email-masked].]

Hi All

I am new to the list and wanted some help with running fwtk on Sol 2.6.
I 
have been using fwtk for 6 years at various places of employment. A
great product. Recently, "the great unwashed" have had the hide to blame
the firewall for some of their web pages not loading properly. Alas....
a quick surf of the net (by me to the offending addresses) while
bypassing 
the firewall, did show that the pages loaded correctly when fwtk was
removed from the equation. 

This has started to become an ever increasing scenario (I was willing
to turn a blind eye to the odd ocurrence) and the management and
users are now slagging the product that I have grown to love so
much. Heathens! How quickly they forget that fwtk has served them well
for the 4.5 years I have been here, and who knows how long before that.

It would appear that the errors have something to do with Java code
being used in the pages loading (comes up with javascript errors on
status line of netscape browser). The problem is repeatable across
netscape and Internet explorer via PC's and also via netscape on SUN
workstations, so I am hesitant to blame the browser (though this would
have been entirely legit a few years ago and indeed was!)

does anyone else suffer from this? Now the big question ..... has a 
patch been written for http-gw that fixes this?

Thanks all

geoffs :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Geoff Swavley                       Email : [email-masked]
UNIX Sys Admin                      Snail : Level 8, 10 Valentine Ave,
Support and Network Operations              Parramatta   NSW   2150
Dept of Land and Water Conservation         Sydney  Australia
                                            Phone : 61-2-98957125
http://www.radx.net/~geoffs                 Fax   : 61-2-98957086
Mobile: 61-425-224475 / 61-2-83004475       Home  : 61-2-83389510
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 "Never be afraid to try something new.  Remember that amateurs built
  the Ark and professionals built the Titanic." - anonymous.

---

From: Tony Gale <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Aug 2001 09:43:17 +0100

If you give us some relevant information, we may be able to help you.

What sites? What version and patches of FWTK are you using?

-tony

---

From: Geoff Swavley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 23:50:39 +1000

> What sites? What version and patches of FWTK are you using?

Doh! Sorry. We run a pair of SUN Ultra 5/360 with currently patched
solaris 2.6 and the latest download of fwtk (2.1) that is available
(I think from memory march 1998??). I have put no patches on the
fwtk software. I followed links from the FAQ to the patches area and
installed the jumbo patch kit but had problems with http-gw not knowing
about the "patched" variable:  FIONREAD - I assume that either I have the
wrong base http-gw or the solaris include files are different from the OS
this was patched for??? I know that this is your baby Tony, so it's
more than likely that I'm doing something dumb.

I will send a test site tomorrow ... .the one that is currently giving us
problems only allows login for us from the two firewall machines so it's
neh impossible to debug from outside. My offsider at work had fielded a few
problem sites so I will see him when I get into work in the morning.

The problems usually revolve around badly written java from what sense
we can make of it.

thanks all
 
geoffs :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Geoff Swavley                       Email : [email-masked]
UNIX Sys Admin                      Snail : Level 8, 10 Valentine Ave,
Support and Network Operations              Parramatta   NSW   2150
Dept of Land and Water Conservation         Sydney  Australia
                                            Phone : 61-2-98957125
http://www.radx.net/~geoffs                 Fax   : 61-2-98957086
Mobile: 61-425-224475 / 61-2-83004475       Home  : 61-2-83389510
----------------------------------------------------------------------
  "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at women
   and persuade themselves they have a better idea." - John Ciardi