Subject: [fwtk-users] Connecting to a W2kl-ftp server

From: "Mathias Haas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:56:06 +0100

Hello!

I've got a problem connecting to a Windows 2000 server through FWTK.

Windows 2000 servers that are part of a domain but not a domaincontroller
itself need a Domainname before the username when you connect through FTP
(like: DOMAINNAME\USERNAME). Otherwise W2k doesn't know if the username is
from the local userdatabase or if it is a domain user account.

The problem is that FWTK doesn't seem to accept account names with a
backslash in it. Instead it translates the username as DOMAINNAMEUSERNAME,
i.e. instead of michael\ourdomain you get michaelourdomain.

We wanted to use FWTK in order for our users to update our website. And
instead of having 2000 IP-addresses through the firewall to the DMZ, we
would have only one. We also need domain-users for authentication so that we
can control who gets to do what. The easy solution would be to let the
FTP-server be a domaincontroller, but we've "heard" that when you make a
Windows 2000 server a domaincontroller, it gets very slow since it turns off
a lot of caching.

So I'm turning you guys for help : Is there any way to connect through FWTK
with a "DOMAINNAME\USERNAME" account?

Kind regards,
Mathias Haas
Swedish Broadcasting Corporation

---
You are currently subscribed to fwtk-users as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:14:35 -0500 (EST)

Mathias,

Just took a quick look through the code.  I didn't see any filtering
preformed on the username/password lines.  May have missed something
here...

I trust that y ou attempted to ftp to your server outside of the fwtk? and
it worked?  You may want to capture that traffic - then compare it to the
traffic from the ftp-gw session and see how the results differ.

ted keller

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Mathias Haas wrote:

> You are currently subscribed to fwtk-users as: [email-masked]

---

---

From: "Mathias Haas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:53:48 +0100

Hello Ted! Thank for the reply!

Well, the reason I thought FWTK filters out the backslash is because it
looks like this:

220 Hello! Welcome to the FTP-Proxy!
User (134.25.115.28:(none)): INTERNET\[email-masked]
331-(----GATEWAY CONNECTED TO www.sr.se----)
331-(220 www Microsoft FTP Service (Version 5.0).)
331 Password required for INTERNETuematha.
Password:
530 User INTERNETuematha cannot log in.
Login failed.
ftp>

Or simliar:

C:\>ftp 134.25.115.28
Connected to 134.25.115.28.
220 Hej! Valkommen till FTP-Proxyn!
User (134.25.115.28:(none)): !"#$%&/()=??$?{[]}\@www.sr.se
331-(----GATEWAY CONNECTED TO www.sr.se----)
331-(220 www Microsoft FTP Service (Version 5.0).)
331 Password required for !#%&/()=?$?{[]}.
Password:
530 User !#%&/()=?$?{[]} cannot log in.
Login failed.
ftp>

The characters !"#$%&/()=?` are shift + 1234567890+
And the @?$?{[]}\ are Alt + 1234567890+

It seems that certain high-ascii chars are filtered out, or what do you
think?

/mathias

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Fran: Ted Keller [mailto:[email-masked]]
Skickat: den 26 november 2001 15:15
Till: fwtk-users
Amne: [fwtk-users] Re: Connecting to a W2kl-ftp server

Mathias,

ted keller

> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
[email-masked]

---
You are currently subscribed to fwtk-users as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 18:56:12 +0300

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

What happens if you replace / with // ?

> 530 User INTERNETuematha cannot log in.

                                     _     _  _  _  _      _  _
 {::} {::} {::}  CU in Hell          _| o |_ | | _|| |   / _||_|   |_ |_ |_
 (##) (##) (##)        /Arkan#iD    |_  o  _||_| _||_| /   _|  | o |_||_||_|
 [||] [||] [||]            Do i believe in Bible? Hell,man,i've seen one!

---

---

From: Steve Sandau <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:29:47 -0500

If I were trying to pass that argument to a shell script, I'd double up
the backslash. Might that work here?

Ted Keller wrote:
> You are currently subscribed to fwtk-users as: [email-masked]

-- 
Steve Sandau, IS Technician
TMA Bath, Maine
[email-masked]

---

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 19:48:49 -0500

>i.e. instead of michael\ourdomain you get michaelourdomain.

The command parser that FWTK uses (enargv) "handles" backslashes - it 
treats it like a quote character. If you use two backslashes (\\), a single 
backslash will be sent.
         -Rick

---

---

From: "Mathias Haas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:30:26 +0100

Actually, inspired by your suggestion with a double backslash, I tried to
enter a single frontslash instead - and that worked! So I'm now logging on
to the domain with domainname/username !

Thanks again for the great feedback - Ted, Rick and Steve!

/mathias

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Fran: Rick Murphy [mailto:[email-masked]]
Skickat: den 27 november 2001 01:49
Till: fwtk-users
Amne: [fwtk-users] Re: Connecting to a W2kl-ftp server

---

---