Subject: [fwtk-users] Reverse-Proxy witch apache

From: Markus Schreier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 13:21:33 +0100

Hello all,
and happy new year to all of you.

I'd like to setup some way to provide Services from the inner network to
people on the internet.
This setup should 
* only allow authorized people
* be secure

I've been playing with the following setup and would like you to provide
me whith any thoughts to that subject, which come to your mind.

                                           |
internal network                          
|                                         internet
                                           |
                                           
http-service      -------------------  fw-gateway   
----------+--------/\/\/\------ client
(e.g. webfrontend                     running fwtk             |
for mailserver)                                            webserver
                                                           running
apache 1.3.20

<-------------SSL-------------------------      
<------SSL-------             
http-service     <-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-<-< plug-gw -<-<-<-<-<-< apache 
-<-<-<-<--<-<-< browser
                                                           reverse-proxy

The client connects via https to a certain URL on the webserver.
The webserver is configured as reverse-Proxy. It passes the request of
this url to fw-gateway Port XY.
On the fw-gateway plug-gw passes connects on Port XY to the inner
http-service port 443.

The url on the webserver is configured with password-Protection. Since
this is ssl-connection i believe it is secure?
I believe the mod_proxy opens a new ssl-connection through plug-gw.
Plug-gw is configured to allow connects from the webserver only.
------------

Do i open some unwanted holes by this configuration? Are there drawbacks
you can warn me from? Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated.

Greetings from Wiesbaden, Germany

Markus

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dipl.-Inform. (FH)    ORDIX AG                                 \\|||//
Markus Schreier       Kreuzberger Ring 13   mailto:[email-masked]  o   ô
Consultant            D-65205 Wiesbaden     Tel:0611/77840-00     ^
Systeme & Netze       http://www.ordix.de   Fax:0611/77840-11   `---´
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---
You are currently subscribed to fwtk-users as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]