Subject: [fwtk-users] Does anyone know about "ort-r01.mx.aol.com"?

From: "Michael St. Laurent" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:51:19 -0800

Does anyone know anything about the host system "ort-r01.mx.aol.com"?  I
keep getting connection attempts from it which are denied by smap due to a
relay attempt.  It appears to be a legitimate AOL server and I find it very
disturbing that they've initiated probing our firewall without permission.

--------------------
Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation

[root@earth] root# rm -rf /bin/laden

---
You are currently subscribed to fwtk-users as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Rick Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 21:49:17 -0500

>disturbing that they've initiated probing our firewall without permission.

ORT - "open relay test".
They do probe systems that deliver mail to them. There's a way that you can 
opt out of the probing - see 
<http://postmaster.info.aol.com/index.cfm?article=8> - but then AOL will 
refuse mail from you.
         -Rick

---

---

From: "Michael St. Laurent" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:08:49 -0800

That's interesting.  We've been having trouble sending them mail for about a
month and a half now.  Some of our mail gets there and some of it doesn't.
In either case, they don't give an error.  They accept the mail and our logs
show "stat=Sent (OK)" giving us no clue what the problem might be.  I wonder
if the two things might be related.

--------------------
Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rick Murphy [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 6:49 PM
> To: fwtk-users
> Subject: [fwtk-users] Re: Does anyone know about "ort-r01.mx.aol.com"?
> 
> 
> You are currently subscribed to fwtk-users as: [email-masked]

---