Subject: [fwtk-users] Apple iTools

From: "James A. Giseburt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 18:00:37 -0600

Good Day!

Some of our academic people would like to use Apple's iTools and iDisk.  To
use this stuff, you go to Apple's web site and pick their iTools menu item.
Simple web request.  The iTools/iDisk stuff uses AFP over TCP (port 548)
from their 204.179.120.x network.  I plugged port 548.  My last issue is
iTools/iDisk uses an ICMP echo request/reply to initialize the conversation.
I'm stumped on this one.  (Maybe my mind is not working at this point.)
What do I plug and how?  I don't really think I want to do this, but...

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

James A. Giseburt
Information Systems Manager      E-mail:  [email-masked]
Moline School District No. 40    Voice :  309.736.2100 Ext. 157
1619 - 11th Avenue               Fax   :  309.736.2113
Moline, IL   61265               Web   :  http://www.moline.lth2.k12.il.us

---
You are currently subscribed to fwtk-users as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 23:20:20 -0500 (EST)

James,

The toolkit proxies only tcp/ip.  It will not proxy icmp protocol.  You
will have to generate specific code on your bastion host to either pass
teh icmp packets through - or simulate the icmp process.
ted keller

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, James A. Giseburt wrote:

> You are currently subscribed to fwtk-users as: [email-masked]

---

---

From: Joseph S D Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 19:48:38 -0500

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 06:00:37PM -0600, James A. Giseburt wrote:
...
> What do I plug and how?  I don't really think I want to do this, but...
...

ICMP can't be proxied via TCP ... at least, not in the conventional
way.  It's not a TCP service.

The only easy way to do this is allow ICMP through the firewall, which
I would not be happy to advise you to do.

-- 
Joe Yao				[email-masked] - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
   This message is not an official statement of OSIS Center policies.

---

---

From: Constantin Brinzoi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:09:21 -0500

Da'.... Bise???

Esti acolo????

---