Subject: [fwtk-users] Does http-gw ignore /etc/hosts?

From: "Michael St. Laurent" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:08:32 -0800

I've put entry in the /etc/hosts file to map a particular site's address to
127.0.0.1 as we don't want people to be able to get to that site.  However,
despite having "order hosts,bind" in the /etc/host.conf and "hosts: files
dns" in the /etc/nsswitch.conf http-gw seems to be ignoring /etc/hosts.  Is
this expected behavior?  If so is there some way to change it?

-- 
Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation

---
You are currently subscribed to fwtk-users as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Ted Keller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:50:27 -0500 (EST)

Michael,

This really depends on your resolver libraries.  If you've replaced your
vendors resolver libraries (by installing a current version of bind), you
may have disabled this feature completely.

One way you  may be able to accomplish this is to become "authoratative"
for that domain - and override the real internet address with what ever
address you choose.

tek

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Michael St. Laurent wrote:

> You are currently subscribed to fwtk-users as: [email-masked]

---

---

From: "Michael St. Laurent" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:06:49 -0800

Well, this is a Red Hat 7.0 system and I've installed any errata patches
from Red Hat that may have come out.  The output from "rpm -q bind" gives me
bind-8.2.3-1.

-- 
Michael St. Laurent
Hartwell Corporation

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ted Keller [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 9:50 AM
> To: fwtk-users
> Subject: [fwtk-users] Re: Does http-gw ignore /etc/hosts?
> 
> 
> Michael,
> 
> You are currently subscribed to fwtk-users as: [email-masked]

---